Is this alcoholic or not?

Discussion in 'USMB Lounge' started by Lucy Hamilton, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Lucy Hamilton

Lucy Hamilton Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,745
    So I have this man who does maintenance on various properties that I own and rent out, he is excellent at this for me.

On Wednesday I bought him two bottles of white wine. I speak to him last night and he say he is depressed because he has no booze in, so I say well he will have to finish the bottles of wine and he say he already has. About a month ago I bought him a box of 20 bottles of Stella, he drinks Stella, so anyway in 5 days he finish all 20 bottles.

About two weeks ago he was supposed to do some work on the Saturday for someone else not me, he went to his brother on the Friday for dinner and stay overnight and then in bed most of Saturday because he drink too much at his brothers and had a hangover, so he then had to do the work on the Sunday.

I do not know does this seem like he is alcoholic or not? To me I think this is drinking a lot and also he say he is depressed because he has no booze in now. I was thinking of telling him I think he drinks too much but I am concerned if he could freak out and begin shouting at being told he drinks too much.

So is he alcoholic or not? Should I say something to him or not?

2. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +46,580
    He does seem to have an unhealthy dependence. Whether you say something depends on your relationship and whether it's your 'place' to say so but definitely don't give him any more wine or "Stella" -- whatever that is. That just makes it worse.

I've got a half-bottle of rum here in this house. It's been sitting here for six years.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. ZZ PUPPS

ZZ PUPPS Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,520
    He's probably an alcoholic, but that's not definitive on this evidence. It might piss him off to mention it. If it doesn't interfere with the work it does for you, why take that risk? If he gets mad and quits, then you've got to find new help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,333

4 bottles per day sounds like alcoholism to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,364
    Sounds like he is an alcoholic Lucy.... a functioning alcoholic...because he still does his work well....

Do you have any other people that you know that likes him as you do, that could help with talking with him, like an Intervention? Is his brother an alcoholic too? Can you speak with his brother?

Maybe you could find out what makes him so sad to drink his worries away every night? And try to help him that way...? Which could lead to less drinking for him if he just identifies his sorrow, or misery, or what ever it may be??

I dunno.... :dunno:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Lucy Hamilton

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,745
    Well also I am concerned about the damage he is doing to his liver with all this booze.

7. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,580
    You know, Jack Bruce had to have a liver transplant...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lucy Hamilton

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,745
    Okay I will not get him anymore Stella or anything else. I think his wife drinks too much also, I have seen her drink an entire bottle of wine within two hours. Several years ago I had a situation as this with someone else and I say to them I think they drink too much and I thought they should go to AA and they started shouting at me and insisting they did not drink too much or have a booze problem. This is why I am not sure if I should do this again, say to my maintenance man that I think he drinks too much.

9. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,580
    Next time try saying that without your customary martini in your hand. :eusa_shifty:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ZZ PUPPS

ZZ PUPPS Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,520
    If he is an alcoholic, then it's an addiction and your words will have little effect, in all probability. He needs to dry out under supervised conditions. Until he's willing to do that, everything else is a waste of time.

• Agree Agree x 1