Is There Only One Way To Be Black?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. From early on, I was saddled with the affliction, identified by my 8th grade classmate, as "He talk like a white boy."

2. My son Connor was a big, solid baby. We nicknamed him "Moose." When we took him out with us, people would se him and wink at me, saying "Future NBA star, huh?" or "Going straight to the NFL!" The automatic assumption of athletic prowess made me grit my teeth. I wondered whether these strangers would be making similar predicdtonsif my son were white. It got so bad, I began responding with a few acronyms of my own: "Try Ph.D, DDS, or MD."

a. When we arrived late to his baseball practice, he whined, "Daddy, I'm late." I told him it was because he had to finish his schoolwork first. He's only in the first grade. I believe you must plant these seeds in kids' minds while they are young so they will bear fruit later on.

3 . And another thing about schooling: vouchers is not the issue, but a real commitment to educate our children and to give them the skills necessary to compete. Public dollars should go those institutions that achieve results, whether public or private, religious or secular.

4. Once identified as a black conservative, the discussion gets heavy. No, I am not opposed to progress, or to change, but I am opposed to change for the sake of change, or in order to achieve some bureaucrat's notion of utopia.

a. Actually, for the majority of my life, the label that I put on myself was that of 'liberal.' If I am a conservative now, it is certainly the conservatism grounded in common sense and independent thought. That's what my parents taught me, and they were life-long Democrats.

b. And more: personal autonomy; a smaller, less intrusive federal government; the empowerment of parents when it comes to educating their children. I believe in marriage, and a traditional family, in which God is at the head.

c. I believe in American exceptionalism, because this nation is 'the last best hope of man on earth.'

5. My sister and I were raised to believe that we, as black people, had a right to the mainstream economic and educational institutions of this nation. That claim, however, came with an obligation to achieve. We were taught that life is not fair and that hard work will accomplish more than complaining.

a. The constant reminder in my home was 'There is no monopoly on brainpower.' And we, as black children, could compete academically with white children. If black children are challenged to compete on an objective scale of merit, they will rise to that challenge and excel.

6. We attended church regularly, and learned that Christianity was more than a belief: it is a responsibility; we should love our fellow man, and that evil is to be confronted, not endured.

7. The liberalism I knew growing up supported our constitutional notion that our government ought to act in defense of individual rights. IN the name of social progress, liberals have now replaced the sacredness of the individual with group rights and victimology. Now, our government is no longer securing rights for individuals but ensuring that rights will only flow to individuals by virtue of their membership in a group.

8. While I was a student at NYU, liberal administrators created the "Third World Project." To provide minority students acting opportunities, one play every year was earmarked for black students. Even though I had been raised in Colorado, I was too black to rate 'first world.' This was New York liberals initiative: rather than enforce open casting, they opted for 'separate but equal.'

a. Here in California, the State University at Long Beach holds a graduation ceremony just for its African American students. Cap and gowns and all. And one for American Indians, Chicano/Latinos, Cambodians, and Filipinos. And every major school in California has a similar ceremony.
Joseph C. Phillips, "He Talk Like a White Boy"

Liberalism today. Groups of victims.

That's not the kind of black I am....Liberals be so advised.

Last edited:
What is "being Black"? How do you define "being Black"? In my opinion, "being black" is being an American, an American whose family had their own "American experience".

I DO know there's only One Way to Rock! :rock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBfZW9j-SrA]''ONLY ONE WAY TO ROCK'' by Sammy Hagar HQ - YouTube[/ame]

What is "being Black"? How do you define "being Black"? In my opinion, "being black" is being an American, an American whose family had their own "American experience".

By asking for the definition of 'being black' you've, apparently, missed the point of the OP.

Looking at Mr. Phillips' story, clearly, there isn't a single definition of being black. His is a minority definition- at this moment in time- but clearly an authentic one.

Perhaps you're looking for a scale of blackness?

Phillips wrote this, as well:

Some Black People Are Blacker Than Others
1. As a conservative Christian with proper diction, I’ve been branded as not black enough to be authentic. A friend made up the following blackness scale of cultural cachet.

2. Black English: sound and syntax, turn of phrase, inflection.
3. Food: the appreciation of soul food; bonus points if one adds hot sauce to everything.
4. Dancing: that suave looseness.

5. Christianity: that particular style that includes Gospel music, black preachers, call and response, 3-hour worship services, and dinner prayers that can last 20 minutes.
6. Facial expressions: women roll their necks when they get angry, roll their eyes when incredulous, suck their teeth when annoyed. Black men cut their eyes in that look that, in the words of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, says ‘Don’t push me ‘cause I’m close to the edge.’

7. Walk:that cool confidence, that rhythm…with that pimp in their step.
8. Sense of style and fashion: dressing fancier than whites would on the same occasion, with a love for bright colors and fanciful patterns. You know…purple suits, or blue shoes.
9. Music: This one requires a knowledge of or affinity for soul, R & B, or gospel.

10. Black names; ‘Tameeka,” or “Shaundell”….you know.
11. Open style of courting: more open or overt advances. Black women are more likely than a white woman to take as a compliment construction workers whistling at her.
12. Loud talking: The big laugh; “turning it out and mixing it up.” And, of course, talking back to the movie screen.

13. Love of basketball: watching golf? You fail this one.
14. And…a sense of rebelliousness: struggle against the man….fight the power. This might be the most important trait on the scale. As my friend put it, unless you are professionally angry, you are missing a crucial element.
15. Notably absent from my bud’s scale are academic excellence, intellectual pursuits, and entrepreneurial skill.

Ann Coulter? Ann Coulter???

Ann Coulter?!

Ann Coulter is such a discredited flaming intellectually dishonest intellectually challenged wing-nut that I marveled at your nerve chutzpah blind spot in using her in your signature.

How could your judgment and clear thinking be so outstanding in your post yet fail you so completely in in tying your star to Ann Coulter in your signature??

The idea in the quote is pithy (if, as experience tells me, untrue)...but ANN COULTER???

Ann Coulter? Ann Coulter???

Ann Coulter?!

Ann Coulter is such a discredited flaming intellectually dishonest intellectually challenged wing-nut that I marveled at your nerve chutzpah blind spot in using her in your signature.

How could your judgment and clear thinking be so outstanding in your post yet fail you so completely in in tying your star to Ann Coulter in your signature??

The idea in the quote is pithy (if, as experience tells me, untrue)...but ANN COULTER???

Jake?

1. From early on, I was saddled with the affliction, identified by my 8th grade classmate, as "He talk like a white boy."

2. My son Connor was a big, solid baby. We nicknamed him "Moose." When we took him out with us, people would se him and wink at me, saying "Future NBA star, huh?" or "Going straight to the NFL!" The automatic assumption of athletic prowess made me grit my teeth. I wondered whether these strangers would be making similar predicdtonsif my son were white. It got so bad, I began responding with a few acronyms of my own: "Try Ph.D, DDS, or MD."

a. When we arrived late to his baseball practice, he whined, "Daddy, I'm late." I told him it was because he had to finish his schoolwork first. He's only in the first grade. I believe you must plant these seeds in kids' minds while they are young so they will bear fruit later on.

3 . And another thing about schooling: vouchers is not the issue, but a real commitment to educate our children and to give them the skills necessary to compete. Public dollars should go those institutions that achieve results, whether public or private, religious or secular.

4. Once identified as a black conservative, the discussion gets heavy. No, I am not opposed to progress, or to change, but I am opposed to change for the sake of change, or in order to achieve some bureaucrat's notion of utopia.

a. Actually, for the majority of my life, the label that I put on myself was that of 'liberal.' If I am a conservative now, it is certainly the conservatism grounded in common sense and independent thought. That's what my parents taught me, and they were life-long Democrats.

b. And more: personal autonomy; a smaller, less intrusive federal government; the empowerment of parents when it comes to educating their children. I believe in marriage, and a traditional family, in which God is at the head.

c. I believe in American exceptionalism, because this nation is 'the last best hope of man on earth.'

5. My sister and I were raised to believe that we, as black people, had a right to the mainstream economic and educational institutions of this nation. That claim, however, came with an obligation to achieve. We were taught that life is not fair and that hard work will accomplish more than complaining.

a. The constant reminder in my home was 'There is no monopoly on brainpower.' And we, as black children, could compete academically with white children. If black children are challenged to compete on an objective scale of merit, they will rise to that challenge and excel.

6. We attended church regularly, and learned that Christianity was more than a belief: it is a responsibility; we should love our fellow man, and that evil is to be confronted, not endured.

7. The liberalism I knew growing up supported our constitutional notion that our government ought to act in defense of individual rights. IN the name of social progress, liberals have now replaced the sacredness of the individual with group rights and victimology. Now, our government is no longer securing rights for individuals but ensuring that rights will only flow to individuals by virtue of their membership in a group.

8. While I was a student at NYU, liberal administrators created the "Third World Project." To provide minority students acting opportunities, one play every year was earmarked for black students. Even though I had been raised in Colorado, I was too black to rate 'first world.' This was New York liberals initiative: rather than enforce open casting, they opted for 'separate but equal.'

a. Here in California, the State University at Long Beach holds a graduation ceremony just for its African American students. Cap and gowns and all. And one for American Indians, Chicano/Latinos, Cambodians, and Filipinos. And every major school in California has a similar ceremony.

It's the same reason why there is no black character on the BIG BANG THEORY, the intellectual black minority of America is just that a super-minority.

Congrats for not getting involved in the ghetto life put down. It is a Globalist construct designed to get black involved in gangs, drugs and prisons, to control them and lessen their numbers.

The NY libs know this and try to circumvent such an evil Globalist program.

Not all black America has the same opportunities as you.

But yeah get the big world view first before just being critical of so called liberals. There's a lot you don't realize.

It's the same reason why there is no black character on the BIG BANG THEORY, the intellectual black minority of America is just that a super-minority.

Congrats for not getting involved in the ghetto life put down. It is a Globalist construct designed to get black involved in gangs, drugs and prisons, to control them and lessen their numbers.

The NY libs know this and try to circumvent such an evil Globalist program.

Not all black America has the same opportunities as you.

But yeah get the big world view first before just being critical of so called liberals. There's a lot you don't realize.

No one is holding down anyone...Only themselves can work to charge their position in life.

I would say there are many ways to define yourself as Black but the most basic here in the US is defining yourself by your knowledge of all the experiences that make up our heritage good and bad. Highlighting the good and working to get rid of the bad. Its a consciousness that you belong to a ethnicity you should be proud of due to its strength and its links to Africa.

There is much about your post that screams "please white people accept me". Do you realize that your ancestors were forced to adopt Christianity so Whites could use an otherwise great religion to mentally incapacitate them? Do you realize the reason there are ethnic graduations is to give those groups more images of success apart from whites? Do you realize the reason you were taught life was not fair was because you had an extra obstacle to overcome? Your skin color? I'm not attacking you but it bothers me when Blacks think becoming Reps will get them approval from whites. I think both parties are full of it to be honest.

Is there only a liberal utopia? Conservative bureaucrats don't have an ideal?

Most of your life a liberal? If you are conservative now? As I read your post, you are liberal but battered by changing semantics.

We can talk about smaller less intrusive government. God is not a body... politic!

Tell us what their given rationale is, please. We can talk about WHY they do this, not merely that they DO.

Your ideas, ideals, and values are forward-looking, progressive, and in the best tradition of the liberal mindset that lie at the heart of what we take for granted as the fabric, the bedrock, of american character. (I don't capitalize "american" in these forums because the American Dream is STILL only a dream; we haven't become America yet--we are only the United States).

Words are powerful things, and as with most powerful things can be used to attack and control. Words can be used to funnel, to channel thoughts and discourse into areas not legitimately intellectual, not legitimately honest, and not legitimately the point. Sort of like 'unintended consequences'.

Many of those we refer to as 'conservative' (by acclamation the leading conservative radicals and pundits) make their bones, reputations in this manner. Rather than do the idea crunching they characterize and frame; they don't argue, debate the point, but frame it. FLAME it. They do it consciously--as an INTENDED consequence.

The idea of America, of free association for the benefit of ALL, puts people first.
What benefits the people; the body politic, the coming together and staying together in free association is the bottom line.

THAT is Liberalism; Progressiveness. It seems to me that conservatives value the machinery, the knobs, levers, switches, and pedals of procedure more than the idea of coming together for the benefit of all.

Your phrase "groups of victims". What does "We, the People" mean? Or rather
WHO does it mean? Which WE is referred to?

I suggest that if it is in fact and in deed the case that the benefits of coming and staying together in free association are measurably withheld from or diminished for definable constituents, then it is the responsibility of the body politic, the community to redress that grievance. Or what's America for?

I would say there are many ways to define yourself as Black but the most basic here in the US is defining yourself by your knowledge of all the experiences that make up our heritage good and bad. Highlighting the good and working to get rid of the bad. Its a consciousness that you belong to a ethnicity you should be proud of due to its strength and its links to Africa.

There is much about your post that screams "please white people accept me". Do you realize that your ancestors were forced to adopt Christianity so Whites could use an otherwise great religion to mentally incapacitate them? Do you realize the reason there are ethnic graduations is to give those groups more images of success apart from whites? Do you realize the reason you were taught life was not fair was because you had an extra obstacle to overcome? Your skin color? I'm not attacking you but it bothers me when Blacks think becoming Reps will get them approval from whites. I think both parties are full of it to be honest.

Translation;-

You an Uncle Tom!

I agree, but I also think that first and foremost "Being black" is an accident of birth.

Blacks are just like every other human...They need education and a job to advance in...

Now getting them to realize this is going to take time.

The first seven words in your post made sense. How many black people do you really know?

Forum List

Back