Is there anyone who still believes in gun control?

Well, yea. Except, as it stands, it's not a violation of the law since, you know, it's not been constitutionally challenged and won, in court so
Not how it works.

The right to arms is a fundamental right, protected specifically by the constitution - restrictions on such rghts are presumed unconstitutional until shown otherwise.

As such, for a restriction to pass, the state has to show it has a compelling interest to restrict the right, and that said restriction is the least intrusive way to achieve that interest

So, unless you can show that interest, there's no way to argue the limits you support pass muster.

Once Jillan googles all this, she'll try to argue otherwise; she'll succeed in only showng that while she can copy/paste impressive-sounding words, she has no means to comprehend them.
Nobody needs to google, what you've presented is exactly what did *not* happen, in real life.

So, have fun taking it to the Supreme.
Sigh.

"Common sense" says you cannot violate the Constitution, regardless how good you think an idea that does so may be. At some point, given the 2 most recent decisions from the court, someone will argue exactly what I have argued here, and will win, based on that argument.

Not how it works.

The right to arms is a fundamental right, protected specifically by the constitution - restrictions on such rghts are presumed unconstitutional until shown otherwise.

As such, for a restriction to pass, the state has to show it has a compelling interest to restrict the right, and that said restriction is the least intrusive way to achieve that interest

So, unless you can show that interest, there's no way to argue the limits you support pass muster.

Once Jillan googles all this, she'll try to argue otherwise; she'll succeed in only showng that while she can copy/paste impressive-sounding words, she has no means to comprehend them.
Nobody needs to google, what you've presented is exactly what did *not* happen, in real life.

Sigh.

"Common sense" says you cannot violate the Constitution, regardless how good you think an idea that does so may be. At some point, given the 2 most recent decisions from the court, someone will argue exactly what I have argued here, and will win, based on that argument.

And I hope they don't win, because I think it would be moronic to have no background checks.

Yep I believe in the current level of gun control, it works pretty well.

What do you mean by "current level of gun control"?

It varies state to state, and sometimes city to city.

In IL, where I live, for instance, no one is free to carry a concealed weapon on them (they are thinking of changing this, thank goodness). In places like CA, some people can get permits to do it, but you have to be friendly with the local sheriff or whatever. In many states, they have "shall issue" licenses where, as long as you meet a certain criterion, you can get a carry-conceal license.

That's only the carry-conceal side of things though. There are all sorts of different laws about where you can keep a gun and how many bullets can be held in it and so on and so forth and these laws apply to all different jurisdictions-- some of them state, some of them county, some of them city-- so I don't know how you can say that you're in favor of the "current level" of gun control.

To my mind, either we have gun control, or we don't.

Such a binary absolutist thought process.

Conversely, they allow hot headed exes to johnny on the spot in the heat of the moment buy pull shoot.

I think that people who have a philosophy of having a gun for protection don't generally wait until it's too late to have one and if they do, then they have their own philosophy to blame.

Hot headed Johnny's already have the weapons so no, that is not an issue. Waiting periods only harm the undefended. There is tons of evidence that shows the harm they do. I can count on my fingers the number of times someone has bought a weapon and immediatly used it. There are FAR more cases of the other however.

I still put the responsibility not on the Law, but on those who view guns as adequate protection, but waiting around for a rainy day to get one. Life is a one-timer. Procrastinating your protection?> Asinine.

Most women rely on their partners/husbands for protection. When the former protector becomes the villain those women need help. You would deny it to them based on what,
procrastination?

Get real.

Hot headed Johnny's already have the weapons so no, that is not an issue. Waiting periods only harm the undefended. There is tons of evidence that shows the harm they do. I can count on my fingers the number of times someone has bought a weapon and immediatly used it. There are FAR more cases of the other however.

I still put the responsibility not on the Law, but on those who view guns as adequate protection, but waiting around for a rainy day to get one. Life is a one-timer. Procrastinating your protection?> Asinine.

Most women rely on their partners/husbands for protection. When the former protector becomes the villain those women need help. You would deny it to them based on what,
procrastination?

Get real.

Get real that some woman about to be attacked is going be able to voluntarily leave the crib, and go pick up a pistol, coming home, as opposed to, you know, going to the Police.

procrastination?

Get real.

Get real that some woman about to be attacked is going be able to voluntarily leave the crib, and go pick up a pistol, coming home, as opposed to, you know, going to the Police.

You're not too well versed on the subject are you? Attacks seem to come as a surprise (oh my gosh you mean they lay in wait?:eek:), the atackers in the vast majority of the cases have been in contact with police, usually multiple times, and in the vast majority of the time there is a Restraining Order against the hubby. But hey don't let a little thing like facts get in the way of your attitued.

I lined to the last one to show that even when guns are outlawed bad people still seem to figure out ways to harm people.....who would a thunk it:eusa_whistle:

Boxer was leaving husband when attacked

Woman Says She Was Brutally Beaten, Shot By Ex-Husband - News Story - KIRO Seattle

Woman Sues Husband Over Alleged Attack - SFGate

Ex-husband left woman paralysed in frenzied axe attack - Scotsman.com News

Yes - wanton violations of the law of the land are just fine - so long as it is 'common sense' to do so.
:cuckoo:

Well, yea. Except, as it stands, it's not a violation of the law since, you know, it's not been constitutionally challenged and won, in court so
Not how it works.

Even Heller said it only struck down a total ban and scalia, the rightiest of rightwingnuts on the bench said that did not discount the possibility of controls.

who told you that you know anything on this subject?

i don't have to google anything on this subject, but maybe if you actually take a con law course you'll know something

what's it like having only a 6th grade education? does it make your genitals feel even smaller than they are?

and here's a free lesson since you clearly can't afford to be educated....

a fundamental right can be subject to government control. the test is whether there is a substantial governmental interest in the regulation. the standard of review is called strict scrutiny.

see, now you know something about con law. you're welcome, idiota.

Last edited:
Seriously.

If you're out there, please tell us why!

As a gun owner, freedom advocate, and a guy with common sense I do believe in gun control. Some people should not own firearms, or driverse licenses, or allowed on TV. Some people just are not capable of handling the responsibility of owning a gun.

As a gun owner I would also like to distance myself as far away from Ted Nugent as possible. I do not endorse anything that idiot has to say or do. He does not speak for responsible gun owners, or rational human beings.

Sigh.

And I hope they don't win, because I think it would be moronic to have no background checks.
Yes... let us suburdinate everyone's right to what -you- think is 'common sense'.

Sentiments like this are -exactly- why protections like the 2nd were added to the Constitution.

Even Heller said it only struck down a total ban and scalia, the rightiest of rightwingnuts on the bench said that did not discount the possibility of controls.
Oh good - Jillian is back to illustrate the fact that this year she might just barely manage to pass into some Mississippian middle school.

1: Heller isnt the only jurisprudence on the issue
2: The 'additional controls' mentioned in Heller do not in any way reference background checks, waiting periods, licensing requirements for gun owners and gun registration. If you had the capacity to read Heller, rather than draw all over it with your 8-color set of drool-covered Crayolas, you'd know that.

Congrats on moving up to the 8-crayon box, BTW -- I know it's been a long-time dream of yours to have all those extra colors.

Who told you that you know anything on this subject?
The fact that I can carry on an intelligent conversation regarding same, as opposed to your soundbites, unsupportable assertions, strawmen, red herrings and outright lies say pretty much everything that needs to be said on this issue.

i don't have to google anything on this subject
You do if you want to have some idea as to what I've said and have any hope of creating an effective response.

Note: You have yet to put up that effective response.
Google

but maybe if you actually take a con law course you'll know something
Not that you, personally, have any idea if this is true or not, seeing as you cannot pass the entry requirements to get into college.

what's it like having only a 6th grade education?
If you ever get there, you'll know.

a fundamental right can be subject to government control. the test is whether there is a substantial governmental interest in the regulation. the standard of review is called strict scrutiny.
Wow... even with the Google results in front of you, you --still-- get it wrong.
"Substantial governmental interest" = Intermediate Scrutiny
"Compelling state interest" = Strict Scrutiny

Other than that...Where did I see that before?
Oh yeah - MY post:
Quote: M14
The right to arms is a fundamental right, protected specifically by the constitution - restrictions on such rights are presumed unconstitutional until shown otherwise.

When you Google "strict scrutiny" you'll find what I posted, highlighted above in blue.

Oh...
Quote: M14
Once Jillan Googles all this, she'll try to argue otherwise; she'll succeed in only showng that while she can copy/paste impressive-sounding words, she has no means to comprehend them.
Thank you for -absolutely - proving me right, both in terms of the quote, above, and that you lie about your education/credentials.

Last edited:
No, I believe the Background Checks and Waiting Periods in place are common sense, and so I'm not against them, end of story.

I don't arrive at my opinions based on what I think the Constitution says. I arrive at them based on my own reasoning and research abilities.

I'm with you on background checks but waiting periods only allow women to be killed by their ex's. You should let those go. They don't halt crime and in fact make crime easier.

Conversely, they allow hot headed exes to johnny on the spot in the heat of the moment buy pull shoot.

I think that people who have a philosophy of having a gun for protection don't generally wait until it's too late to have one and if they do, then they have their own philosophy to blame.

Couple of small points:

That Constitution thing you seem to dismiss so easily.... that founded this country. It LIMITS our government to ensure Americans are free - at least that's the theory.... but I'm sure your 'research and reason' is far more valuable to us all.... not.

Secondly, and by far most importantly, the most telling part of your post is the phrase 'I think.....' In other words, you don't KNOW. Forgive me for pointing out the obvious but when it comes to domestic violence, 'I think' doesn't cut it. You need to KNOW, not think. That's why proper academic research is far more important than your 'research and reason'.

Why aren't you freedom loving, super-patriotic, haters-of-government calling for the disarmament of government officials?

I thought you guys believe that market forces can solve all this nation's woes.

Why not let the invisible hand of the market regulate guns?

Last edited:
Why aren't you freedom loving, super-patriotic, haters-of-government calling for the disarmament of government officials?

More retarded bullshit from the Board idiot. I do not support Libertarians and strongly believe in the 2nd Amendment. IF society and the Government collapse as has happened all over the middle east recently you are gonna wish you had a firearm.

Because duh baybee Jeezuss bleated " he who liveth by the swordeth, dyeth bt thou swordeth"
That was just before they took a rock and a piece of hammered iron and nailed him to a stick...........or so the story goes.:eusa_hand:

More retarded bullshit from the Board idiot. I do not support Libertarians and strongly believe in the 2nd Amendment. IF society and the Government collapse as has happened all over the middle east recently you are gonna wish you had a firearm.

Honey, if the shoe didn't fit why are you whining about how much your toes were pinched?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously.

because i've had to deal with it first hand, and subsequently don't believe a militarized populace is condusive to a safe populace....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously.

because i've had to deal with it first hand, and subsequently don't believe a militarized populace is condusive to a safe populace....

And yet EVERY single State that loosens gun controls has violent crime rates drop and those places with restrictive gun laws are havens for murder and mayhem. Go figure.

Thank you for -absolutely - proving me right, both in terms of the quote, above, and that you lie about your education/credentials.
poor loser.
Says the primary-school droput, incapable of refuting anytthing I posted.

ah well... whatever makes you feel better about your own pathetic life.
We've already determined that you lie abour your education and credential for that very reason - you could at least TRY to be original here.

But then, I suppose you're doing the best you can, given that vast echo chamber inside your skull.

Forum List

Back