Is there anyone who still believes in gun control?

Yep I believe in the current level of gun control, it works pretty well.
Just one other thing needs to be added a federal law about those who are baker acted for being a danger to themselves or others need their guns taken away until they are pronounced stable by a doctor.

And btw I am a gun owner and a combar vet,

Last edited:
Everyone believes in gun control. Even people who believe in the 2nd Amendment also believe that there has to be legitimate control over the posession and use of deadly weapons. You can't legally posess a fully automatic weapon and crazy people and convicted felons are prohibited from purchasing firearms. The dirty little secret is that when liberals use the word "control" they really mean "confiscation". Libs aren't satisfied with the thousands of pages of firearms laws already on the books. They want total control.

Yep I believe in the current level of gun control, it works pretty well.

What do you mean by "current level of gun control"?

It varies state to state, and sometimes city to city.

In IL, where I live, for instance, no one is free to carry a concealed weapon on them (they are thinking of changing this, thank goodness). In places like CA, some people can get permits to do it, but you have to be friendly with the local sheriff or whatever. In many states, they have "shall issue" licenses where, as long as you meet a certain criterion, you can get a carry-conceal license.

That's only the carry-conceal side of things though. There are all sorts of different laws about where you can keep a gun and how many bullets can be held in it and so on and so forth and these laws apply to all different jurisdictions-- some of them state, some of them county, some of them city-- so I don't know how you can say that you're in favor of the "current level" of gun control.

To my mind, either we have gun control, or we don't.

Seriously.

If you're out there, please tell us why!

Yeah, I believe in it.

Waiting periods are good. Tough background checks are good. Harsh penalties for gun owners who don't behave responsibly are good. Disqualification for those with certain categories of criminal record are good.

I don't think those are unreasonable positions, but I won't be surprised to be in a minority.

Here in PA. you go to the county sheriff's office and apply for a permit and if you pass the background check the sheriff can not deny you a pemit to carry. It takes about 10 minutes. You go to a sporting goods store to by a weapon, you go through a background check, if you pass the check you walk with the weapon. We don't have a waiting period after the purchase and the cost for the permit is very reasonable ($25.00) for five years.

That's the difference between a commonwealth and a state. A commonwealth places the rights of the citizen over the rights of government.

Everyone believes in gun control. Even people who believe in the 2nd Amendment also believe that there has to be legitimate control over the posession and use of deadly weapons. You can't legally posess a fully automatic weapon and crazy people and convicted felons are prohibited from purchasing firearms. The dirty little secret is that when liberals use the word "control" they really mean "confiscation". Libs aren't satisfied with the thousands of pages of firearms laws already on the books. They want total control.

You have a factually incorrect statement in your post. In all but 17 States one CAN legally own a fully Automatic weapon. All they need do is apply for and pay for a permit from the Federal Government. They will do a background check and if you are clean they will issue said Permit. You need one for every specific weapon you have that has full auto capability.

Here in PA. you go to the county sheriff's office and apply for a permit and if you pass the background check the sheriff can not deny you a pemit to carry. It takes about 10 minutes. You go to a sporting goods store to by a weapon, you go through a background check, if you pass the check you walk with the weapon. We don't have a waiting period after the purchase and the cost for the permit is very reasonable ($25.00) for five years.

That's the difference between a commonwealth and a state. A commonwealth places the rights of the citizen over the rights of government.

Not here in the COMMONWEALTH of Massachusetts.......

Here you go to your local police station and take home an application to fill out. You fill it out. In some cases you are required to provide references. You have to take a state certified safety course. Then you file the application, along with your photos, your safety certificate, possibly your references, and the check for $100 (for 5 years - or for 1 year if you're a non-resident). They run the background check on you, which can take anywhere from 1 day to 3 weeks. Then you hope that your local police chief is actually willing to issue permits, and likes you, and doesn't place additional restrictions on your license. Oh, did I forget to mention that you have to list a "Purpose" on the license application, and the permit is only good for that/those purposes (and not every city will accept "All Lawful Purposes"). Then, assuming you've gotten through the city, they take your fingerprints and ship the application off to the Mass State Police in Boston, who will send you your license in anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

Is there anyone who still believes in gun control?

Not me. I think guns should be allowed to have A I computers connected up to operate them and be free to roam the streets and kill anything they deem worthy targets.

Seriously.

If you're out there, please tell us why!

I believe in gun control:

• Proper storage - a fire and water resistant safe is recommended.
  • Know how to use iron sights before installing a scope.
  • Make sure your sling is tight and your eyes are relaxed.
  • B.R.A.S.S.
  • Assume all guns are loaded. Never point a gun at anything you don't want to kill.
  • Be aware of what is behind your target. You are likely to shoot it also.

You have a factually incorrect statement in your post. In all but 17 States one CAN legally own a fully Automatic weapon. All they need do is apply for and pay for a permit from the Federal Government. They will do a background check and if you are clean they will issue said Permit. You need one for every specific weapon you have that has full auto capability.

Don't you also need the approval of local law enforcement? So basically in rural texas sherriff Bob will sign off on it, and probably join you for your target shooting, but in Austin you a pretty much out of luck, as the PD would never sign off on it.

Don't you also need the approval of local law enforcement? So basically in rural texas sherriff Bob will sign off on it, and probably join you for your target shooting, but in Austin you a pretty much out of luck, as the PD would never sign off on it.

I don't think so. Would depend on laws about specific firearms. For example in NC you need a sheriffs permit to get a handgun but not for a shotgun or a long gun. The application and permit are Federal not State. Again though there may be a specific State law about some hoop you need to jump through for them.

The point is ONLY 17 States actually ban fully automatic weapons.

Forum List

Back