Is there anyone left who thinks marijuana should be illegal?

A thing to keep in mind while we debate over little things IF it's legalized is that seemingly at least we're all in agreement that it should be legal.

Now hopefully when the current crop of 70+ year old bags dies off the group of older citizens who replaces them has the common sense to hold our politicians accountable for this disaster.

We'll always have to battle the super religious southeast on this stuff, but that can be overcome.

You haven't heard?

The retirees are becoming THE MARIJUANA GENERATION, Drock.

A whole lot of them who'd smoked for fun back in their day are returning to smoke, now, for various medical conditions that marjuania is ideally suited to counteract.

Seriously if you watch the paper to see who is getting busted for possession, you'll see more and more middle aged to retirment age people ponying up those outrageous fines for simple possession.

This beneficial plant will be legalized when it ceases to be a valuable litmus test for authoritarians seeking to establish one's political correctness, and not before.

It's continued illegality is a kind of full employment system for cops, lawyers, judges and prison guards, as well as being a handy cash cow for the criminal justic system.

The continued prohibition against marijuana is really nothing more than a human rights violation.

I agree but the senior group is still made up of people who grew up in the 30's and 40's and lived their college years prior to weed being accepted as a social norm, so at the very minimum as long as they're around and filling voting booths it'll be illegal.

Common sense will kick in eventually, maybe a decade or so, I'd say closer to 20 years from now.

Adolescents and young adults who are heavy users of marijuana are more likely than non-users to have disrupted brain development, according to a new study. Pediatric researchers found abnormalities in areas of the brain that interconnect brain regions involved in memory, attention, decision-making, language and executive functioning skills. The findings are of particular concern because adolescence is a crucial period for brain development and maturation.

Heavy Marijuana Use May Damage Developing Brain In Teens, Young Adults

The legalization of marijuana will be the nail in the coffin of public education. It's on life support right now.
Yeah.....just ask the D.A.R.E.-educators.

:eusa_whistle:

D.A.R.E.: Good intentions, bad results

DARE.JPG

[Why? Because I don't find it funny to risk killing someone through irresponsible behavior? Yea, I guess I'm a real party pooper. Let me know when a relative of yours dies because someone was impaired through drugs or alcohol and tell me how funny it is.
I'm quite sure no one here disagrees with your complaint against irresponsible behavior. But do you believe Reagan's War On Drugs has effectively controlled the specific problems you've addressed? Do you think continuing to do the same things year after year, knowing those things have no positive effect on the problem, makes sense? Or do you agree that it's a good definition of insanity?

In spite of the fact that there are masked federal goons with machine guns kicking down doors all over America and dragging decent, peaceful people out of their beds because they are growing personal use marijuana or because they have a few ounces of purchased marijuana, and in spite of the fact that more than 50,000 (that's fifty thousand) people were arrested in New York City in 2010 for possession of a small quantity of marijuana, nothing along the lines of the illegal behaviors you're concerned about has changed -- or will change. In fact a supportable argument can be made that the opposite is true.

Have you done any research on the effects of the Dutch, the Swiss and the Portugese enlightened experiments with decriminalization of recreational drugs? If not I urge you to do so.

Adolescents and young adults who are heavy users of marijuana are more likely than non-users to have disrupted brain development, according to a new study. Pediatric researchers found abnormalities in areas of the brain that interconnect brain regions involved in memory, attention, decision-making, language and executive functioning skills. The findings are of particular concern because adolescence is a crucial period for brain development and maturation.

Heavy Marijuana Use May Damage Developing Brain In Teens, Young Adults

The legalization of marijuana will be the nail in the coffin of public education. It's on life support right now.

As I said earlier, an NZ study found that young people were 300% more likely to develop mental problems. 300%!! I am dumbfounded that some people think that's 'harmless'.
Gee.....what're the possibilities that over-bearing MOTHERS might (also) be part o' the problem?? (...Constantly raggin' on the kid....like you're demonstrating....then, wondering why the kid would want to get high. :rolleyes: )

Yeah....I'd say you have reason to worry.​

Art's killed someone?

He admits to driving while stoned. Which, to me, is the equivalent of shooting a gun in a crowded room.... only a matter of time before he's responsible for someone else's death. I despise people who drive while impaired.
What do you suppose is the ratio of people who drive while stoned vs those who drive while texting or chatting? Every time I drive, whether a 100+ mile trip or just a few miles to the grocery store, I see people talking on their cell phones, either alongside me, in front of me or in my rear view mirror.

Every time I watch COPS there is at least one DUI (alcohol) incident covered -- and I've been watching COPS since it started. But I can honestly tell you I have never seen a single DUI (marijuana) incident covered on COPS. Have you? Has anyone here?

In most if not all of the DUI (alcohol) incidents the stop was made because of erratic or unsafe driving. But the total absence of any DUI (marijuana) stops either suggests that very few people DUI marijuana or DUI marijuana isn't as dangerous as DUI alcohol.

I'm not suggesting it's okay to DUI anything. But there does seem to be evidence that far fewer marijuana users are inclined to DUI than are alcohol users. Why do you suppose that is?

I worked as a nyc medic for close to 28 yrs.. never did I deal with anyone who had smoked some weed who ran over anyone in their veh., beat up or killed anyone. however I've delt with drunks who've gotten violent, ran people over, vomited, defecated and pissed over themselves and my equiptment and veh. I've seen homelesness caused by alcohol abuse. It's amazing that this gov. didn't learn anything from prohibition. they should legalize it just like alcohol.

I think that if ALL people will assume responsibility for their actions while under the influence of any mind altering chemical, then go for it. You know that won't happen. We have people who go out and willfully drink and then kill someone with their car and claim it wasn't their fault. Lets call it what it is, murder and punish accordingly. So if you get high on pot or coke or any of the others and make a mistake that harms others pay the price with none of this its not my fault BS.

How about them apples.

I have no problem with dem-apples. Personal liberty mean personal responsiblity.

I don't think it's call murder however. Manslaughter, negligent homicide?

Sorry bout that,

1. Potheads should move to Potland, northern Europe.
2. Where Pot is fun.
3. Not here.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I've never smoked weed in my life and marijuana being illegal is an embarassment to freedom and spending so much money on keeping it illegal is irresponsibly liberal.

To make the smoking of marijuana in the privacy of someone's home illegal is no less fascist than having gov't bureacrats force you to get on a treadmill everyday at your house.

For a doctor, your education is sorely lacking. As a liberal who is proud of the fact, I'm going to ask nicely that you learn a little about the label before blithely tossing it around.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...ism-america-was-born-liberal.html#post1321923

Remember, Thomas Jefferson was a Liberal and Benedict Arnold was a Conservative

I think that if ALL people will assume responsibility for their actions while under the influence of any mind altering chemical, then go for it. You know that won't happen. We have people who go out and willfully drink and then kill someone with their car and claim it wasn't their fault. Lets call it what it is, murder and punish accordingly. So if you get high on pot or coke or any of the others and make a mistake that harms others pay the price with none of this its not my fault BS.

How about them apples.

Well said, doesn't really address legalizing it but drunk driving and killing someone is the same to me as shooting someone in the face.

However I think the limit is too LOW, bring it back to .1 or something.

If we are truly free to make our choices and then reap the rewards or suffer the consequences, it doesn't matter what number you blow - wasted, drunk, buzzed, sober or stupid - kill someone with your car and go to jail.

Every time you try to quantify a choice you step on the slippery slope of legislating morality and quite frankly I doubt any two of us on this board or any other agree completely on what is 'moral'.

Let's try legislating responsibility instead of morality - it'd be SO much easier and a much less expensive way for us to govern ourselves.

Leave the "judgment" call to the citizen and enforce responsibility for choices made. Even the courts would run more efficiently and cheaper.

Legalize it? Yes. Beneficial to the people as a whole? Don't believe so.

I hate how people tell me weed doesn't damage them, then I see people who smoke weed a lot over a few years and they act stupid.
....Kinda like those folks who lived in a bottle, huh?? :eusa_whistle:

george%20bush%20looking%20stupid.jpg
md_horiz.jpg

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

"Marijuana produces immediate, temporary changes in thoughts, perceptions, and information processing. The cognitive process most clearly affected by marijuana is short-term memory. In laboratory studies, subjects under the influence of marijuana have no trouble remembering things they learned previously. However, they display diminished capacity to learn and recall new information. This diminishment only lasts for the duration of the intoxication. There is no convincing evidence that heavy long-term marijuana use permanently impairs memory or other cognitive functions."

....As-opposed-to alcohol.....that does PERMANENT DAMAGE!!!

I do not understand, do you think I support alcohol? :confused:

I look at all the vices this way:

Compare them to each other on which hurts you less is like comparing what bullet your shot with, yea, the slug may be bigger and do more damage, but the fact is, your shot.

More people drink. Hence more alcohol related accidents. But many drug users drink as well:

Association with Cigarette and Alcohol Use

* The rate of past month illicit drug use among youths and adults was higher among those who were current cigarette or alcohol users compared with those who did not use these substances.

* In 2001, the rate of current illicit drug use was approximately 9 times higher among youths who smoked cigarettes (48.0 percent) than it was among youths who did not (5.3 percent).

* Illicit drug use also was associated with the level of alcohol use. Among youths who were heavy drinkers in 2001, 65.3 percent also were current illicit drug users, whereas among nondrinkers, the rate was only 5.1 percent.

Driving Under the Influence of Illicit Drugs

* An estimated 8.0 million persons reported driving under the influence of an illicit drug at some time in the past year. Among young adults aged 18 to 25 years, 12.4 percent drove under the influence of illicit drugs at least once in the past year.

* Of the 8.0 million persons who had driven under the influence of illicit drugs in the past year, most (77 percent) had also driven under the influence of alcohol.

Chapter 2: Illicit Drug Use - 2001 Summary of Findings

More people drink. Hence more alcohol related accidents. But many drug users drink as well:

There aught to be a law.

:eusa_think: We could prohibit Alcohol?

Yeah.... but then we'd have to prohibit texting and talking on the cell phone.​

:eusa_think:

Why don't we 'prohibit' people from killing and maiming on the road while being stupid?

The only thing left to do would be to hire someone to judge the stupidity levels of those involved.

$alarie$ for Judges

Sorry bout that,

1. Potheads should move to Potland, northern Europe.
2. Where Pot is fun.
3. Not here.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I've never smoked weed in my life and marijuana being illegal is an embarassment to freedom and spending so much money on keeping it illegal is irresponsibly liberal.

To make the smoking of marijuana in the privacy of someone's home illegal is no less fascist than having gov't bureacrats force you to get on a treadmill everyday at your house.

For a doctor, your education is sorely lacking. As a liberal who is proud of the fact, I'm going to ask nicely that you learn a little about the label before blithely tossing it around.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...ism-america-was-born-liberal.html#post1321923

I'm talking about liberally spending, you have to be a fiscal liberal to be in favor of keeping the drug war going when you see hundreds of billions and trillions of dollars spent and it having no real effect on stopping use.

liberal=Tending to give freely; generous
=Generous in amount; ample

These are the definitions I was going by, not the liberal vs conservative stuff, I try to avoid those terms because I think they're both total b-s in terms of how they're used in the political spectrum.

Last edited:

I'm talking about liberally spending, you have to be a fiscal liberal to be in favor of keeping the drug war going when you see hundreds of billions and trillions of dollars spent and it having no real effect on stopping use.

These are the definitions I was going by, not the liberal vs conservative stuff, I try to avoid those terms because I think they're both total b-s in terms of how they're used in the political spectrum.

Forgive my passion and haste during these dark times of oppression towards Liberals.

Peace?

Legalize it? Yes. Beneficial to the people as a whole? Don't believe so.

I hate how people tell me weed doesn't damage them, then I see people who smoke weed a lot over a few years and they act stupid.

md_horiz.jpg

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

"Marijuana produces immediate, temporary changes in thoughts, perceptions, and information processing. The cognitive process most clearly affected by marijuana is short-term memory. In laboratory studies, subjects under the influence of marijuana have no trouble remembering things they learned previously. However, they display diminished capacity to learn and recall new information. This diminishment only lasts for the duration of the intoxication. There is no convincing evidence that heavy long-term marijuana use permanently impairs memory or other cognitive functions."

Compare them to each other on which hurts you less is like comparing what bullet your shot with, yea, the slug may be bigger and do more damage, but the fact is, your shot.
My shot.....what?????

323.png

gr.jpg

Face the facts.....you know ZERO, about Pot.

You want to compare "shots"?? The difference between gettin' "shot" with alcohol....or Pot....would be the difference between gettin' shot with a hollow-point.....and, a marshmallow.

Typically.....and, I've seen my share.....people who get "high", for the first-time, are somewhat disappointed.
It's never the overwhelming-experience they'd always assumed/expected.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Association with Cigarette and Alcohol Use

* The rate of past month illicit drug use among youths and adults was higher among those who were current cigarette or alcohol users compared with those who did not use these substances.

* In 2001, the rate of current illicit drug use was approximately 9 times higher among youths who smoked cigarettes (48.0 percent) than it was among youths who did not (5.3 percent).

* Illicit drug use also was associated with the level of alcohol use. Among youths who were heavy drinkers in 2001, 65.3 percent also were current illicit drug users, whereas among nondrinkers, the rate was only 5.1 percent.

Driving Under the Influence of Illicit Drugs

* An estimated 8.0 million persons reported driving under the influence of an illicit drug at some time in the past year. Among young adults aged 18 to 25 years, 12.4 percent drove under the influence of illicit drugs at least once in the past year.
.....And, this research was a result o' what....asking youths whether-or-not they'd participated???? :eusa_eh:

You ever hear of any self-respecting younger-person who'd admit he/she hadn't tried something??

Wankin.gif

md_horiz.jpg

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

My shot.....what?????

323.png

gr.jpg

Face the facts.....you know ZERO, about Pot.

You want to compare "shots"?? The difference between gettin' "shot" with alcohol....or Pot....would be the difference between gettin' shot with a hollow-point.....and, a marshmallow.

Typically.....and, I've seen my share.....people who get "high", for the first-time, are somewhat disappointed.
It's never the overwhelming-experience they'd always assumed/expected.​

This is your brain on drugs.

:eusa_drool::eusa_drool::eusa_drool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gee....how creative.

You should check with FAUX Noise. They might be looking to hire fact-checkers.​

Forum List

Back