Is There Any Empathy Left In The Gaza Conflict? by

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
So much has been lost in just one generation it would seem. Can it be mended? It's not just one side to blame, but a string of bad policies. The entire article is worth reading.

Is There Any Empathy Left In The Gaza Conflict? : NPR

The violent intensity of the month-old war between Israel and Hamas raises the question of whether Israelis and Palestinians have any empathy for each other.

A generation ago, they used to routinely rub shoulders. Just how tense things are between Israeli Jews and their Arab neighbors is something my colleague Daniel Estrin recently witnessed at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem.
In the waiting room, he found two Israeli women shouting at a Palestinian mother whose son was being treated for a beating he received from a Jewish mob. An Israeli tank drives past a field of sunflowers along the border between Israel and the Gaza Strip as they pull out from the Gaza Strip Sunday. At least 10 people died in a strike outside a U.N. school in Gaza shortly after Israel confirmed it was withdrawing some troops from the war-torn area.

"Go away you trash," one yelled. "I would bury you in Gaza."

Two other Israeli women tried to comfort the Palestinian mother. But she was in no mood for reconciliation, and retorts: "What good will your apologies do?"

Such lack of empathy is widespread in Israel, the West Bank and Gaza these days, even in the few communities where Jews and Arabs mix, like Jerusalem.

Last edited:
So much has been lost in just one generation it would seem. Can it be mended? It's not just one side to blame, but a string of bad policies. The entire article is worth reading.

The violent intensity of the month-old war between Israel and Hamas raises the question of whether Israelis and Palestinians have any empathy for each other.

A generation ago, they used to routinely rub shoulders. Just how tense things are between Israeli Jews and their Arab neighbors is something my colleague Daniel Estrin recently witnessed at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem.
In the waiting room, he found two Israeli women shouting at a Palestinian mother whose son was being treated for a beating he received from a Jewish mob. An Israeli tank drives past a field of sunflowers along the border between Israel and the Gaza Strip as they pull out from the Gaza Strip Sunday. At least 10 people died in a strike outside a U.N. school in Gaza shortly after Israel confirmed it was withdrawing some troops from the war-torn area.

Two other Israeli women tried to comfort the Palestinian mother. But she was in no mood for reconciliation, and retorts: "What good will your apologies do?"

Such lack of empathy is widespread in Israel, the West Bank and Gaza these days, even in the few communities where Jews and Arabs mix, like Jerusalem.

I think the war needs to end already. Here in America, they don't show the funerals of Israeli soldiers, but my relatives say that it's shown all the time there, and the whole nation is crying. I, for one, am heartsick at seeing Gazan children, injured and crying. All of the tunnels have been destroyed. Unless Israel's objective is to take out Hamas completely, then this war has to end.

I think the war needs to end already. Here in America, they don't show the funerals of Israeli soldiers, but my relatives say that it's shown all the time there, and the whole nation is crying. I, for one, am heartsick at seeing Gazan children, injured and crying. All of the tunnels have been destroyed. Unless Israel's objective is to take out Hamas completely, then this war has to end.
I concur but I am afraid both of our relatives in Israel will be exposed to the second phase of lunacy Digger Topples Bus In Israel 'Terror Attack'

ps very few people in the UK think all the tunnels have been found let alone destroyed.

Last edited:

I agree..yet....something has to be done about Hamas, that doesn't involve punishing the Gazans as a whole - Hamas is no good to Gaza, but the war just makes them hate Israel more and Hamas uses that to their advantage.

The policies of seperation need to be looked at, as well as what kids are taught in schools about the other side. :dunno:

Best thing to do about Hamas is to make them irrelevant by giving Palestinian people the rights, the land and the dignity that they deserve.

This war will end once the rockets will.

That's the whole picture many of you miss.

No-one likes to see civilians dying anywhere, not in Gaza and not in Israel.

But this war started because of the situation we're living in for 14 years. If the situation is not solved when we withdraw, then all of those deaths and tears would have been for nothing.

Israel cannot buy "peace" for 4 millions by sacrificing the lives of 1.5 million, just because they live in an area that "doesn't count enough".

And the blood of southern Israelis is no less important than the blood of the people of Tel Aviv. The rocket problem must be solved, or else this situation wouldn't end.

I concur but I am afraid both of our relatives in Israel will be exposed to the second phase of lunacy Digger Topples Bus In Israel 'Terror Attack'

ps very few people in the UK think all the tunnels have been found let alone destroyed.

Nobody in Israel believes that either.

Depends on the message.

There is empathy left.

I suggest you see the movie "precious life" and follow the story of Dr. Raz Somech. He was called to serve in the war in Gaza and at the same time treated a Gaza infant boy.

The documentary tells about the boy and his mom, but I believe the real interesting story if of the doctor. On the one hand be part of the war, on the other hand, never leaving this boy's side.

There is empathy still, problem is, it's not a story worth telling by the media.

There are few things more surprising and resilient than the Human Spirit, even in a protracted conflict such as the Israeli-Palestinian 'Troubles'.

We can speculate and pontificate from the sidelines, but what truly matters is how the Israelis and Palestinians treat each other, in situations where some empathy seems warranted.

My guess is that 'empathy' still exists on both sides, but that it has been 'pruned back' and 'thinned out' considerably in the past couple of decades, to the point where, collectively, it's barely recognizable any longer, leaving individual manifestations of 'humanity' as the most frequently observed phenomenon.

This is what happens as protracted warfare drags on and on and on and on and on and on and on, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Rightly or wrongly, populations with a hostile enemy population nearby, tend to move towards a dehumanizing and demonizing of the enemy, and oftentimes experience a hardening of the heart and a numbing of the senses and emotions, to compensate.

No matter which side of the divide one stands on, this is not a pretty sight.

Last edited:
Best thing to do about Hamas is to make them irrelevant by giving Palestinian people the rights, the land and the dignity that they deserve.
Still spoiled petulant brat, those palistanians. All "gimme! gimme!! gimme!!!" and tantrums, and tantrums. How about getting a life and a job, and earning all that they want? That's, like, a responsible adult behavior of a group of people, claiming to be a "nation". But, no, they're having a kewl occupation - "gimme!" and tantrums.

The facts of the matter, historical or pragmatically, means the world will all eventually realize the Palestinians have no basis for their intransigence except Islamic.

And that is unacceptable.

People no longer are allowing themselves to be emotionally manipulated by the Palestinians.

The Palestinians and their supporters should prepare themselves for becoming despised and the objects of derision worldwide.

That is what their racist anti-Semitism deserves.

Please explain your reason, bucause I'm lost.

He's referring to the " 67 Borders" that the Arabs never accepted in the first place .

This is slightly off topic; but how come " International Law" never applied to the Arabs concerning Israel?

http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1948to1967_holysites.php

During the Jordanian occupation of Hebron from 1948 to 1967, Jews were not permitted to live in the city, nor -- despite the term of the 1948 Armistice Agreement -- to visit or pray at the Jewish holy sites in the city. Additionally, the Jordanian authorities and local residents undertook a systematic campaign to eliminate any evidence of the Jewish presence in the city. They razed the Jewish Quarter, desecrated the Jewish cemetery and built an animal pen on the ruins of the Avraham Avinu synagogue

Although there were numerous discussions of this issue, and Israeli complaints, the Jordanians refused to honor the agreement, and the UN did not pass any resolutions against this treatment of Jewish religious institutions.

EMPATHY? Nobody in their right mind is " happy" that Civilians were killed but I wonder how much " empathy" some of these posters and the rest of the world would heve if this happened;

http://pamelageller.com/2014/07/mas...ned-jewish-new-year-gaza-terror-tunnles.html/

Giving the Palestinians " their rights and dignity?" lol

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diploma...r-recognize-israel-top-official-says-1.361072

They don't respect ISRAEL'S " 67 Borders" Thats because they never existed. Israel does not have to " respect" them now

Last edited:
One thought to think of. I suspect that empathy in this conflict doesn't sell many papers, nor garner many TV ratings, nor even a whole lot of web page hits . . . . .

The facts of the matter, historical or pragmatically, means the world will all eventually realize the Palestinians have no basis for their intransigence except Islamic.

And that is unacceptable.

People no longer are allowing themselves to be emotionally manipulated by the Palestinians.

The Palestinians and their supporters should prepare themselves for becoming despised and the objects of derision worldwide.

That is what their racist anti-Semitism deserves.

They have the same right to a just solution as the Jews. You make it about Islam, but that is not the basis for their opposition - it's an issue of occupation and not having a state or homeland of their own. That is a valid basis.

One thought to think of. I suspect that empathy in this conflict doesn't sell many papers, nor garner many TV ratings, nor even a whole lot of web page hits . . . . .

no...you need more blood, bombs, rockets and blown up bodily remains for that:eusa_angel:

"Deserve" being the key word...
They deserve nothing.

They deserve the same basic rights as the Israeli's do and that includes a state.

Forum List

Back