Is there any easy way to destroy a hard drive without software?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I have 4 really old computers and today I took a sledgehammer to one of them. I got the hard drive out and gave it a good bash. Nothing. 10 swings and all I did was dent it! so I took a hammer and screwdriver and after freaking 10 minutes of banging I got the lid off. The disk was still perfect! so I got it out and "disabled" the disk. I don't want to do that 3 more times, so is there an easier way? :confused-84:

I have 4 really old computers and today I took a sledgehammer to one of them. I got the hard drive out and gave it a good bash. Nothing. 10 swings and all I did was dent it! so I took a hammer and screwdriver and after freaking 10 minutes of banging I got the lid off. The disk was still perfect! so I got it out and "disabled" the disk. I don't want to do that 3 more times, so is there an easier way? :confused-84:
There are hundreds of ways to destroy your hard drive such as setting it on fire... cutting it up with a saw or magnetizing it... However.... simply scratching the hard drive disk and smashing it a bit with a hammer will get the job done....

A couple of 5.56 rounds or other caliber you have on hand should do the trick. But, you should have been able to accomplish your mission with hammer and screwdriver or hammer and chisel. I have taken them apart, to get the magnet. The magnets used for hard drives are amazing.

Oxy-acetylene and a rosebud should gitter done.

Put the disk buy a powerful electromagnet and it will wipe it clean.

1666781296550.png

If the computers still boot, you can load DOD Military Grade Disk wipe software (DoD 5220.22-M), that is available in many downloadable disk utility programs. The DOD standard causes the disk to be over written multiple times with 1's and 0's over writing any residual data on the disk making it unrecoverable. Boot the disk from a floppy or USB stick and you can over write the internal drives. (You may need a nerd to assist with that.)

On the other hand, you can physically destroy the disk. Since you aren't concerned with ever re-using the disk I suggest using a drill. You can take the cover off and drill through the disk itself (platen) - I'd recommend 12, 3, 6, and 9 positions. But I'm lazy - lay the disk flat and I'd drill 9 holes 3 top 3rd, 3 middle 3rd, and 3 bottom 3rd. By using the drill you don't have to disassemble the drive itself.

My Binford 6000 portable drill runs off 2 car batteries connected in series and makes short work of such projects. The model was recommended by Tim "The Toolman" Taylor.

WW

Last edited:
Take cover off, scratch with quartz or CZ or even a diamond-tip drill bit.

Toss them in a fire. It will destroy both solid state and hard disk storage.

Drill a couple holes through it. Done.

Say that it has Hunter's emails on it

And miss all the fun of bashing the shit out computers? LOL Yeah in retrospect prolly a lot easier that way.

You asked for an easy way, not a fun way ;)

How about a way that is both easy AND fun?

Make your own thermite with aluminum and iron oxide (rust), then light it on fire. It will reduce them to nothing more than slag.

How about a way that is both easy AND fun?

Make your own thermite with aluminum and iron oxide (rust), then light it on fire. It will reduce them to nothing more than slag.
That is a good point.
Police and other data recoverees have recovered tons of data on hard drives that burned in house fires, etc. Those little platters are pretty tough.
However - SSD drives are not fire resistant...at all.

Forum List

Back