Is there a double standard for political parties in the media? Cain and Clinton

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
CainClinton.jpg

Over a period of just three and a half days, NBC, CBS and ABC have developed an insatiable hunger for the Herman Cain sexual harassment story, devoting an incredible 50 stories to the allegations since Monday morning. In contrast, over a similar period these networks mostly ignored far more substantial and serious scandals relating to Bill Clinton.

Networks Hit Cain Story 50 Times in Less Than Four Days; Ignored Clinton Scandals

In comparison, over a similar three-day period these same programs were far less interested in charges against Democrat Bill Clinton. After Paula Jones held a public press conference in February of 1994, there was only one report on her allegations.

Following Kathleen Willey’s July 1997 claims of being groped by the President, there were a mere three reports. For Juanita Broaddrick, who came forward in February 1999 to say Clinton raped her, only three stories followed charges appearing in the Wall Street Journal.

It should also be pointed out that all these women offered their names. They weren’t anonymous. Additionally, the accusations of assault and rape go far beyond what’s being mentioned with the Cain scandal.

Networks can’t get enough of this Herman Cain scandal « Hot Air

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... you're kidding right? It's pretty much the number one rule in American politics today.

Gutter journalism at its very best. You get the media you deserve... you accept bullshit, you get bullshit.

The Republicans are keeping as tight as I have seen for such a long time. This tells me that they have some fine ammunition to let out when they usually do let it out.

On the campaign trail, not now. I think that the Democrats are going to be very surprised on this election cycle.

I think something big is coming out... Big business aside :lol:

Thanks PP!

CainClinton.jpg

Over a period of just three and a half days, NBC, CBS and ABC have developed an insatiable hunger for the Herman Cain sexual harassment story, devoting an incredible 50 stories to the allegations since Monday morning. In contrast, over a similar period these networks mostly ignored far more substantial and serious scandals relating to Bill Clinton.

Networks Hit Cain Story 50 Times in Less Than Four Days; Ignored Clinton Scandals

In comparison, over a similar three-day period these same programs were far less interested in charges against Democrat Bill Clinton. After Paula Jones held a public press conference in February of 1994, there was only one report on her allegations.

Following Kathleen Willey’s July 1997 claims of being groped by the President, there were a mere three reports. For Juanita Broaddrick, who came forward in February 1999 to say Clinton raped her, only three stories followed charges appearing in the Wall Street Journal.

It should also be pointed out that all these women offered their names. They weren’t anonymous. Additionally, the accusations of assault and rape go far beyond what’s being mentioned with the Cain scandal.

I thought maybe it was because of the internet but they only looked at a few major outlets for each study so....yeah...the double standard is blatant.

CainClinton.jpg

When I first came to this board, I tried to write a comparison of conservatives and liberals, and one of the conclusion that I came to was the two operate via different intellectual modes...

It can be summarized in this way: for liberals, feeling passes for knowing.
With this worldview, neither consistency nor experience play a primary role. So, while your OP is magnificent, and would leave conservatives nodding their heads, liberals will look at the summary and shrug their shoulders and say "so?"

We will never convince them using logic, nor history. Being even handed means not a whit to the Left.
On the one hand, a mere 20% report themselves as liberals, vs. twice that as conservative.

On the other hand, that 20% controls the methods of dissemination of information, as in the media outlets you note.

I thought maybe it was because of the internet but they only looked at a few major outlets for each study so....yeah...the double standard is blatant.

"...the double standard..."

What better explanation for the brightest star in the Democrat firmament being a lying, womanizing, rapist?

This just proves as I have contended for years that the media has gotten more enquireristic.
It has done this to attract increasing stupid viewers. Purely a capitalistic venture.

How many women did Clinton pay $45,000.00 and $40,000.00 to?

Before the Republicans fucked over the country with the Monica Lewinsky scandal, the sexual activities of politicians were not remarked on.

After the Monica Lewinsky scandal, the press jumps all over sex scandals because the Republicans made it acceptable to do.

And now, the rightwingloons cry over it.

Shocker!

But none of that matters to the question at hand: Is Herman Cain a sexual harasser?

Before the Republicans fucked over the country with the Monica Lewinsky scandal, the sexual activities of politicians were not remarked on.

After the Monica Lewinsky scandal, the press jumps all over sex scandals because the Republicans made it acceptable to do.

Shocker!

But none of that matters to the question at hand: Is Herman Cain a sexual harasser?

I'll go with the "Innocent until proven" guilty position unless I see/hear proof that he is guilty of any of the anonymous accusations.

I set the trap, deanie, but was hoping catch some lefties....that's why I didn't mention Clinton...
...but you're too easy to catch.

BTW....you're right, I don't know how many women Clinton paid " $45,000 and $40,000" to...but if you want to count, it could count as ten since "Clinton entered into an out-of-court settlement, agreeing to pay Jones and her attorneys a total of $850,000."
Paula Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How ya' feel now, booooooiiiiii?

A little more salt in the wound?
Sure:

"…every Democrat who voted for Bill Clinton feels the need to defend duplicity, adultery, lying about adultery, sexual harassment, rape, perjury, obstruction of justice, kicking the can of global Islamofascism down the road for eight years, and so on."
Coulter

I set the trap, deanie, but was hoping catch some lefties....that's why I didn't mention Clinton...
...but you're too easy to catch.

BTW....you're right, I don't know how many women Clinton paid " $45,000 and $40,000" to...but if you want to count, it could count as ten since "Clinton entered into an out-of-court settlement, agreeing to pay Jones and her attorneys a total of $850,000."

How ya' feel now, booooooiiiiii?

A little more salt in the wound?
Sure:

"…every Democrat who voted for Bill Clinton feels the need to defend duplicity, adultery, lying about adultery, sexual harassment, rape, perjury, obstruction of justice, kicking the can of global Islamofascism down the road for eight years, and so on."
Coulter

Yeah I think the dems who want to disparage cain over this should NOT bring up clinton or even weiner because most of their positions on clinton/weiner will make them look like hypocrites with cain.....plus there are things like this response to dean's comments that just make the Herman Haters look bad.

yeah, clinton was pretty much left alone.

nobody cared for his sex life.

Sarcasm? The right was all over him even if the Main Stream Media left him alone at the time.

This thread is about how the main stream media has a double standard when it comes to reporting on very similar situations of allegations of sexual misconduct. They treat democrat politicians in completely different ways than republican politicians. This is evidenced by the concentration of reporting in the days following said allegations between clinton and cain, as evidenced by the 2 seperate articles linked in the OP and the chart.

By doing so they prove Thomas' comments to be true

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTyaIAaqz8]Clarence Thomas High-Tech Lynching - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Shocker!

"...the Republicans fucked over the country with the Monica Lewinsky scandal..."
On hardly knows where to start to answer this post....
....is it more duplicitious? Erroneous? Juvenile?

First is your desire to hide the behavior....usual for the Left, whose hallmark is 'never highlight poor behavior. Unless Republican."

Now, as for "...sexual activities of politicians were not remarked on."

1. "She [Paula Jones] claimed she kept quiet about the incident until 1994..."

The first case that I recall with reference to you incorrect post is Packwood....

2." [Republican Bob] Packwood's political demise began in November 1992, when The Washington Post outlined detailed allegations of sexual misconduct by Sen. Packwood. "
Packwood Resigns

How's this for an idea....we hold those honored with public office up to higher, not lower, standards.

Sarcasm? The right was all over him even if the Main Stream Media left him alone at the time.

This thread is about how the main stream media has a double standard when it comes to reporting on very similar situations of allegations of sexual misconduct. They treat democrat politicians in completely different ways than republican politicians. This is evidenced by the concentration of reporting in the days following said allegations between clinton and cain, as evidenced by the 2 seperate articles linked in the OP and the chart.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTyaIAaqz8"]Clarence Thomas High-Tech Lynching - YouTube[/ame]

you forget to factor in the change of the media landscape.

therefore, this comparison is deeply flawed.

but who cares, it seems to give you and many others another reason to whine about the unfair librul main stream media.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTyaIAaqz8"]Clarence Thomas High-Tech Lynching - YouTube[/ame]

you forget to factor in the change of the media landscape.

therefore, this comparison is deeply flawed.

but who cares, it seems to give you and many others another reason to whine about the unfair librul main stream media.

Look at the study itself, they only used media outlets that existed at both times...the study does not include all the internet sites and all the new news outlets and only those limited ones that were around both during clinton and now.

Forum List

Back