Is the old testament to be completely ignored?

Law of Moses is fulfilled. Doesn't mean there isn't alot of good information in the Old Testament. In fact, much of the really good stuff in the New Testament is lost because people dont understand the Old Testament.

I'm always curious as to how christians view the old testament. Creationism seems to be very important, which is in the old testament but often times I'm told to only really pay attention to the new testament.

11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway | The Best Article Every day

There's 11 things a ton of christians and people of all religious views do very often, that certainly don't seem "hell-worthy."

Let me see if I can put this in perspective for those who, like you, are complete ignoramuses about what the Bible actually teaches.

Paul taught us that, as adults, we put away childish things. He also taught us that the law exists to show us that we are sinners, and that we need the grace of God. The Old testament, and the law therein, exists so that we can learn the requirements of obedience, and the impossible burden it places on us. We cannot earn righteousness through obedience.

It is quite a bit like the rules you had as a child. Do not talk to strangers, do not cross the street without holding the hand of an adult, do not stay up late, eat everything on your plate, wash your hands before you eat, etc. Now that you are (supposedly) an adult those rules no longer apply to you, but you have no problem imposing them on children. The childhood rules are not ignored, but they do not apply either.

The Old Testament works the same way. Those laws serve a purpose, so we do not ignore them. We just understand that, as adults, we are not actually bound by them. They are impossible to obey completely, and they were never actually intended to be obeyed, they were intended to keep the people of Israel safe, and to separate them from the nations that surrounded them.

The intent of the law was to educate and protect, not to curtail and restrict. That is why Jesus took exception to the narrow enforcement of the law, and why he did not enforce strict obedience of it upon his disciples.

You should not attempt to get your understanding of the Bible by reading the words of people who do not understand it. My suggestion is that you read it for yourself. Anyone who does so with an open mind can see that, despite the problems that are there, it is surprisingly open about the history of Israel, and documents the many mistakes they made. It also offers some very sensible advice on various topics, from dealing with communicable diseases before anyone understood about germs, to interacting as an ambassador for a different way of life.

Don't be afraid of the Bible. Approach it with an open mind, ask questions, and see that it has more to offer than you think. The worst that can happen is that you will become a believer.

I'm always curious as to how christians view the old testament. Creationism seems to be very important, which is in the old testament but often times I'm told to only really pay attention to the new testament.

There's 11 things a ton of christians and people of all religious views do very often, that certainly don't seem "hell-worthy."

Let me see if I can put this in perspective for those who, like you, are complete ignoramuses about what the Bible actually teaches.

Paul taught us that, as adults, we put away childish things. He also taught us that the law exists to show us that we are sinners, and that we need the grace of God. The Old testament, and the law therein, exists so that we can learn the requirements of obedience, and the impossible burden it places on us. We cannot earn righteousness through obedience.

It is quite a bit like the rules you had as a child. Do not talk to strangers, do not cross the street without holding the hand of an adult, do not stay up late, eat everything on your plate, wash your hands before you eat, etc. Now that you are (supposedly) an adult those rules no longer apply to you, but you have no problem imposing them on children. The childhood rules are not ignored, but they do not apply either.

The Old Testament works the same way. Those laws serve a purpose, so we do not ignore them. We just understand that, as adults, we are not actually bound by them. They are impossible to obey completely, and they were never actually intended to be obeyed, they were intended to keep the people of Israel safe, and to separate them from the nations that surrounded them.

The intent of the law was to educate and protect, not to curtail and restrict. That is why Jesus took exception to the narrow enforcement of the law, and why he did not enforce strict obedience of it upon his disciples.

You should not attempt to get your understanding of the Bible by reading the words of people who do not understand it. My suggestion is that you read it for yourself. Anyone who does so with an open mind can see that, despite the problems that are there, it is surprisingly open about the history of Israel, and documents the many mistakes they made. It also offers some very sensible advice on various topics, from dealing with communicable diseases before anyone understood about germs, to interacting as an ambassador for a different way of life.

Don't be afraid of the Bible. Approach it with an open mind, ask questions, and see that it has more to offer than you think. The worst that can happen is that you will become a believer.

I ask a question, you reply with a childish insult, then later you invite me to ask questions.

No, I cannot become a believer until science proves the existence of god, then proves that that god is your specific christian God from the Bible.

I ask a question, you reply with a childish insult, then later you invite me to ask questions.

No, I cannot become a believer until science proves the existence of god, then proves that that god is your specific christian God from the Bible.

Pointing out your ignorance is childish?

Maybe you should grow up. (FYI, that was a childish insult. I hope that in the future you will recognize one when you encounter it.)

Maybe you should grow up. (FYI, that was a childish insult. I hope that in the future you will recognize one when you encounter it.)

Calling names is childish, had you said "i think you're ignorant on the subject" that'd be another thing.

I truly wish I was ignorant on the subject, I love to have all the hours,days,weeks of my childhood back that I was force-fed christianity.

Dear Dr. Drock: The best explanation I've ever heard of the Bible, came from a Buddhist monk of all sources. He said the OT was about living by the letter of the law and the NT was living by the spirit of the law. WOW. Summed it up in one sentence.

I have since elaborated on that wisdom to explain
* the OT shows the genocide death and destruction where the letter of the law
is corrupted by greed for power and control of property and people
"retributive justice" requires judgment and punishment so this authority gets abused
politically by controlling or monopolizing authority and knowledge of laws
this has corrupted both church and state laws
That is what it means for "Antichrist" to abuse the name of Christ
For lawless injustice to be committed in the name of law or justice which is Christ Jesus

* the NT is about living by the spirit of the laws, of truth and love, justice with mercy forgiveness and charity. So Christ Jesus brings RESTORATIVE JUSTICE that breaks the cycle of sin and suffering under retributive justice.

Then the choice remains to us. Justice is a doubled edged sword, where we reap what we sow, and we get the type of justice we give.

* We can continue to live by retribution, live and die by the sword, by hanging each other by the letter of the law, abusing it to oppress and punish one while excusing the other, etc.
Justice without mercy, truth without love, and you see how our world today resembles the OT under this approach to the laws, top down, competition for authority and control.

* or we can choose to transform our lives, relationships and whole institutions by living by restorative justice which Christ Jesus represents. Forgiving first, in order that we may pursure MUTUAL corrections and restitution TOGETHER to restore good will and good faith relations between neighbors, first, and then whole nations when we do this collectively.
The truth sets us free from past conflict and strife dividing us like the Devil by selfishness or Satan.

Instead of fear of the unknown (which Satan represents)
we seek and live by love of truth (which God represents)

Instead of fear of change or false control by outside authority (which is Antichrist)
we live by love of Justice and embody and enforce the laws ourselves by conscience (which is Christ)

Instead of fear of conflict and confrontation, unforgiveness which escalates conflicts into war, we choose to forgive and receive healing grace for the love of humanity (which is the Holy Spirit).

We can choose to fall or follow the influences of Satan/Antichrist/FalseProphets that divide and conquer out of ill will instead of good will which is God's will;
or we can commit our body/mind/spirit to what is good for ourselves and all humanity.
Collectively, we become one with God/Christ/HolySpirit when all our
bodies/minds/spirits are joined as one.

The message in the NT is to fulfill this path or process.
The OT warns us of the injustice and suffering that occurs if we
abuse the laws. When we fulfill the spirit of the laws, we meet the
standards of the letter of the law, so we no longer will invoke the
negative punishments in the OT. Those laws will still exist.

It is like the laws about the death penalty or punishments for crimes may remain on the books; but where we live without anger or murder, where we stop any cause of crime or abuse, then the punishments are no longer applied even though the authority remains.

When we follow the spirit of the laws, both the spirit and the letter are fulfilled.
Only where we abuse the letter of the law to defy the spirit of the law,
then both are violated.

Note: the rest of the Bible is used to guide people through understanding the process, and to work through the spiritual stages, which includes dealing with rebukes and redressing issues or wrongs, seeking healing and restitution to restore relations, so that we achieve spiritual peace and maturity as one body of people under one Law or Lord. We establish the spirit of truth by agreement by conscience or Christ Jesus, and this truth sets us free.

There are a lot of comments after the article. Check this one out:

Gary Petersen says:
June 23, 2009 at 22:09

The reason that some parts of the Old Testament law no longer apply to man is that God deals with man differently now than He did then. God changed how He deals with man by sending His son, Jesus Christ, to earth. This is noted in Romans 6:14, which reads:

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Conversely, the reason some Old Testament law still applies is that God said it does, through Jesus and the men who recorded the New Testament. There are many verses in the New Testament condemning homosexual behavior, for example, and they provide the link back to parts of Old Testament law.

P.S. Dr. Drock
I don't mean to discourage respect for the OT, but urge that these laws be considered in full context historically.

1. First I recommend considering the matriarchal and goddess/creation/fertility worship that preceded the patriarchy set up in the Bible, especially under Mosaic law. If you understand that there was a flip from matriarchal to patriarchal, this puts in context the significance of Jesus Christ as a male sacrifice in order to balance the books spiritually and restore peace and harmonious relations that was lost to conflict and war, even genocide.

Books I recommend: "When God was a Woman" by Merlin Stone (goddess perspective)
"Saving Paradise" by Rebecca Parker (Christian perspective)

2. Secondly I would recommend treating the process equally (between Judeo-Christian laws given by Moses and fulfilled in Christ, and natural laws given by Buddha or given by the Constitution, and later fulfilled in spirit as humanity or society reaches maturity)

I believe the same process of fulfillment of the spirit of the laws occurs across the board, for all ways and traditions, both the divine laws of the Jews/Christians/Muslims/believers and the natural laws of secular gentiles/humanists/Buddhists/nontheists even atheists scientists etc.

The same spirit of truth fulfills all these paths, not just the laws of Moses in the Bible.
Jesus said he has sheep in another fold that he will bring and will become one flock.

So the Gentiles are also brought forth, and are under natural laws not specified in the Bible, but followed by nature or by conscience, which Jesus governs as well, as both the Son of God and the Son of Man, authority of both divine laws of God and natural laws of humanity. So since those natural laws are not spelled out in teh Bible, that is where
I would proceed with care to include the full context of what the process means,
and include all other applications of this same Biblical process of fulfillment in Christ Jesus.

I am especially interested in the fulfillment of the Buddhist and Constitutional paths of laws and principles. There is already a denomination set up for the Jews who find completion in Christ as "Messianic Jews" there are also Buddhist-Christian followings and Muslim-Christian. So this points to all tribes reconciling in Christ, and once they centralize under that authority, then all tribes can reconcile with one another in Christ, directly or indirectly.

So the Bible will be fulfilled that all will be one in Christ Jesus.

So it is not to negate the OT but to put in full historical perspective with all laws
fulfilled in Christ Jesus as well. this whole process is given in symbols in the Bible but it applies to all people in their paths and process, no matter what walk of life they come from. They may just use natural laws to explain their beliefs instead of using the Bible.
The process is the same, but the path and language of expression may be different.

It is still one truth of God regardless how diversely the laws or principles are expressed.

You couldn't tell that version to a born again southern Baptist. They believe it all, ignore what they want to and persecute selectively.

So Genesis is merely a made-up fable we should ignore?

I agree.

But if so, why do they keep teaching it in church as the origins of man?

Calling names is childish, had you said "i think you're ignorant on the subject" that'd be another thing.

I truly wish I was ignorant on the subject, I love to have all the hours,days,weeks of my childhood back that I was force-fed christianity.

You are obviously ignorant on the subject, or you would not be asking stupid questions. Pointing that out is not a matter of opinion, it is a statement of fact. If you do not like people pointing out that you are an ignoramus, do not talk about things you do not understand.

You couldn't tell that version to a born again southern Baptist. They believe it all, ignore what they want to and persecute selectively.

Just because they are total ignoramuses about what being a Christian means does not mean I am required to turn off my brain when I approach God. He is a lot smarter than I am, He has no need to be afraid of my ability to think for myself.

So Genesis is merely a made-up fable we should ignore?

I agree.

But if so, why do they keep teaching it in church as the origins of man?

It is not a made up fable. It contains parables about the universe and the history of the patriarchs of Israel. That makes it worth studying for anyone who is interested in those things.

It is not a made up fable. It contains parables about the universe and the history of the patriarchs of Israel. That makes it worth studying for anyone who is interested in those things.

So what you're saying is that it is a made-up parable.

Either it is or is not an explanation for the origins of the universe. If it is not meant to be an explanation of the origins of the universe, then it is a made-up parable, fable or whatever. But it is made-up, as in "not real."

Either it is or is not an explanation for the origins of the universe. If it is not meant to be an explanation of the origins of the universe, then it is a made-up parable, fable or whatever. But it is made-up, as in "not real."

Do you know what a parable is?

A parable is a succinct story, in prose or verse, that illustrates a lesson. It differs from a fable in that fables use animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as characters, while parables generally feature human characters. It is a type of analogy.

Parable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see that it is plainly not a fable, and it being a parable does not mean it is not an explanation of the origin of the universe. As for it being made up, the truth is that parables, and fables, teach a lesson beyond the words they contain, as do fables. That is why Animal Farm, despite the fact that it is about a spider who weaves messages in its webs, tells us so much about us as human beings.

Just because it is made up does not mean it is not real.

Do you know what a parable is?

A parable is a succinct story, in prose or verse, that illustrates a lesson. It differs from a fable in that fables use animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as characters, while parables generally feature human characters. It is a type of analogy.

Parable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see that it is plainly not a fable, and it being a parable does not mean it is not an explanation of the origin of the universe. As for it being made up, the truth is that parables, and fables, teach a lesson beyond the words they contain, as do fables. That is why Animal Farm, despite the fact that it is about a spider who weaves messages in its webs, tells us so much about us as human beings.

Just because it is made up does not mean it is not real.

So, straight up, are the first chapters of Genesis an explanation for the origins of the universe?

I ignore the Old Testament. And just to be on the safe side, I ignore the first one also.

Forum List

Back