Is the old testament to be completely ignored?

So what you're saying is that it is a made-up parable.

Either it is or is not an explanation for the origins of the universe. If it is not meant to be an explanation of the origins of the universe, then it is a made-up parable, fable or whatever. But it is made-up, as in "not real."

Do you know what a parable is?

A parable is a succinct story, in prose or verse, that illustrates a lesson. It differs from a fable in that fables use animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as characters, while parables generally feature human characters. It is a type of analogy.
Parable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see that it is plainly not a fable, and it being a parable does not mean it is not an explanation of the origin of the universe. As for it being made up, the truth is that parables, and fables, teach a lesson beyond the words they contain, as do fables. That is why Animal Farm, despite the fact that it is about a spider who weaves messages in its webs, tells us so much about us as human beings.

Just because it is made up does not mean it is not real.

So, straight up, are the first chapters of Genesis an explanation for the origins of the universe?

They are a parable about the origins of man. If you want to call that an explanation, feel free. I am not sure I would do so.

Last edited:
I'm always curious as to how christians view the old testament. Creationism seems to be very important, which is in the old testament but often times I'm told to only really pay attention to the new testament.

11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway | The Best Article Every day

There's 11 things a ton of christians and people of all religious views do very often, that certainly don't seem "hell-worthy."

Christianity is based on the gospel of Jesus Christ. He's nowhere in the Old Testament.

However, the OT is the story of the chosen people of which Jesus was.

What are the 11 things? I thought it was ten.

Do you know what a parable is?

Parable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see that it is plainly not a fable, and it being a parable does not mean it is not an explanation of the origin of the universe. As for it being made up, the truth is that parables, and fables, teach a lesson beyond the words they contain, as do fables. That is why Animal Farm, despite the fact that it is about a spider who weaves messages in its webs, tells us so much about us as human beings.

Just because it is made up does not mean it is not real.

So, straight up, are the first chapters of Genesis an explanation for the origins of the universe?

They are a parable about the origins of man. If you want to call that an explanation, feel free. I am not sure I would do so.

ok thanks

OT is about the concept of God's Law. The message conveyed is that the whole world will be judged by His Law. The NT is about the concept of God's Grace. The message conveyed is that humans don't seem to be able to pass God's Judgment by Law. Thus God will save them by His Grace through the blood of Jesus Christ.

Ancient Jews can't understand modern Law concept, thus they need to get the point by means of a religion.

I'm always curious as to how christians view the old testament. Creationism seems to be very important, which is in the old testament but often times I'm told to only really pay attention to the new testament.

There's 11 things a ton of christians and people of all religious views do very often, that certainly don't seem "hell-worthy."
Certain laws were given to man based on the local traditions at the time. Like tattoos; at that time people would tattoo themselves proclaiming religious affiliation, it's not the tattoo, it's the intent of the tattoo. Eating or touching pork and allot of the other dictates of the old testament are justified now because of Jesus Christ. I am a Christian and I am thinking about getting another tattoo. I believe I will be fine:)

Let me see if I can put this in perspective for those who, like you, are complete ignoramuses about what the Bible actually teaches.

Paul taught us that, as adults, we put away childish things. He also taught us that the law exists to show us that we are sinners, and that we need the grace of God. The Old testament, and the law therein, exists so that we can learn the requirements of obedience, and the impossible burden it places on us. We cannot earn righteousness through obedience.

It is quite a bit like the rules you had as a child. Do not talk to strangers, do not cross the street without holding the hand of an adult, do not stay up late, eat everything on your plate, wash your hands before you eat, etc. Now that you are (supposedly) an adult those rules no longer apply to you, but you have no problem imposing them on children. The childhood rules are not ignored, but they do not apply either.

The Old Testament works the same way. Those laws serve a purpose, so we do not ignore them. We just understand that, as adults, we are not actually bound by them. They are impossible to obey completely, and they were never actually intended to be obeyed, they were intended to keep the people of Israel safe, and to separate them from the nations that surrounded them.

The intent of the law was to educate and protect, not to curtail and restrict. That is why Jesus took exception to the narrow enforcement of the law, and why he did not enforce strict obedience of it upon his disciples.

You should not attempt to get your understanding of the Bible by reading the words of people who do not understand it. My suggestion is that you read it for yourself. Anyone who does so with an open mind can see that, despite the problems that are there, it is surprisingly open about the history of Israel, and documents the many mistakes they made. It also offers some very sensible advice on various topics, from dealing with communicable diseases before anyone understood about germs, to interacting as an ambassador for a different way of life.

Don't be afraid of the Bible. Approach it with an open mind, ask questions, and see that it has more to offer than you think. The worst that can happen is that you will become a believer.
Amen! You are right, the old testament law shows us that we are sinners and need salvation. Jesus Christ gives us that salvation.

Let me see if I can put this in perspective for those who, like you, are complete ignoramuses about what the Bible actually teaches.

Paul taught us that, as adults, we put away childish things. He also taught us that the law exists to show us that we are sinners, and that we need the grace of God. The Old testament, and the law therein, exists so that we can learn the requirements of obedience, and the impossible burden it places on us. We cannot earn righteousness through obedience.

It is quite a bit like the rules you had as a child. Do not talk to strangers, do not cross the street without holding the hand of an adult, do not stay up late, eat everything on your plate, wash your hands before you eat, etc. Now that you are (supposedly) an adult those rules no longer apply to you, but you have no problem imposing them on children. The childhood rules are not ignored, but they do not apply either.

The Old Testament works the same way. Those laws serve a purpose, so we do not ignore them. We just understand that, as adults, we are not actually bound by them. They are impossible to obey completely, and they were never actually intended to be obeyed, they were intended to keep the people of Israel safe, and to separate them from the nations that surrounded them.

The intent of the law was to educate and protect, not to curtail and restrict. That is why Jesus took exception to the narrow enforcement of the law, and why he did not enforce strict obedience of it upon his disciples.

You should not attempt to get your understanding of the Bible by reading the words of people who do not understand it. My suggestion is that you read it for yourself. Anyone who does so with an open mind can see that, despite the problems that are there, it is surprisingly open about the history of Israel, and documents the many mistakes they made. It also offers some very sensible advice on various topics, from dealing with communicable diseases before anyone understood about germs, to interacting as an ambassador for a different way of life.

Don't be afraid of the Bible. Approach it with an open mind, ask questions, and see that it has more to offer than you think. The worst that can happen is that you will become a believer.

I ask a question, you reply with a childish insult, then later you invite me to ask questions.

No, I cannot become a believer until science proves the existence of god, then proves that that god is your specific christian God from the Bible.
Where did he insult you? Typical of non believers, they assume that Christians are trying to force God on them. It is most non believers that do not have an open mind. Science doesn't have to prove God, it is a matter of faith, when you have faith God is revealed to you.

I ask a question, you reply with a childish insult, then later you invite me to ask questions.

No, I cannot become a believer until science proves the existence of god, then proves that that god is your specific christian God from the Bible.

Pointing out your ignorance is childish?

Maybe you should grow up. (FYI, that was a childish insult. I hope that in the future you will recognize one when you encounter it.)

Calling names is childish, had you said "i think you're ignorant on the subject" that'd be another thing.

I truly wish I was ignorant on the subject, I love to have all the hours,days,weeks of my childhood back that I was force-fed christianity.
You weren't force fed, you were given instruction. I laugh at people who claim they were "force fed". It is your choice to believe or not.

Maybe you should grow up. (FYI, that was a childish insult. I hope that in the future you will recognize one when you encounter it.)

Calling names is childish, had you said "i think you're ignorant on the subject" that'd be another thing.

I truly wish I was ignorant on the subject, I love to have all the hours,days,weeks of my childhood back that I was force-fed christianity.
You weren't force fed, you were given instruction. I laugh at people who claim they were "force fed". It is your choice to believe or not.

I see, so as a 5 year old i had the same open mind able to make choices as I do now. Very interesting.

You just have that view because you look favorably on chrsitianity. If someone had islam, or naziism, or liberalism forced on them from that age on I'll bet you'd take issue with it.

I'd have to say the best thing I've learned on this thread is that being called an "ignoramus" isn't a childish insult lol.

To be serious though if the old testament is just a parable or something to just take lessons from but not take as fact, why do so many christians demand intelligent design be taught in classrooms? You want parable not based on fact taught in science classes? Why is the book of genesis supposed to be taken as word for word fact if the rest of the old testament isn't?

Some other explanations make it sound like God realized he made a ton of mistakes in the old testament (which anyone with a moral compass would acknowledge) and that the new testament was where he tried to make up for those mistakes.

I'll try to share my view as simple as possible: God always had a plan through Jesus Christ. How He went about that plan, and is still going about that plan, and will go about that plan, is beyond our understanding. Our thoughts are not His thoughts. His ways are not our ways. Knowing that He loves us and gave all for us, just for us to know Him, His love and love Him and learn to love others is most important to me. It's already done, people need only to receive His Gift and believe; the rest He begins doing in us after that.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 19: 30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

One of my favorite passages from the OT:

Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.

Ezekiel 23: 19 (NIV)

Do me a favor.

The next time you see me discussing theology with anyone, stay out of it. I do not need complete dolts like you making the other sides case for them. If I want to support myself with the babbling of an idiot I can hire a monkey to make my posts.

One of my favorite passages from the OT:

Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.

Ezekiel 23: 19 (NIV)

your favorite....and others too i suppose, until you read the following passage to it! :eek:

22 “Therefore, Oholibah, this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will stir up your lovers against you, those you turned away from in disgust, and I will bring them against you from every side— 23 the Babylonians and all the Chaldeans, the men of Pekod and Shoa and Koa, and all the Assyrians with them, handsome young men, all of them governors and commanders, chariot officers and men of high rank, all mounted on horses. 24 They will come against you with weapons,[d] chariots and wagons and with a throng of people; they will take up positions against you on every side with large and small shields and with helmets. I will turn you over to them for punishment, and they will punish you according to their standards. 25 I will direct my jealous anger against you, and they will deal with you in fury. They will cut off your noses and your ears, and those of you who are left will fall by the sword. They will take away your sons and daughters, and those of you who are left will be consumed by fire. 26 They will also strip you of your clothes and take your fine jewelry. 27 So I will put a stop to the lewdness and prostitution you began in Egypt. You will not look on these things with longing or remember Egypt anymore.

New Topics

Forum List

Back