Is the Iran deal a real win -- or a nominal one?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
I heard positives from John Kerry this morning on This Week. The most obvious one was that sanctions haven't stopped Iran from exploding their number of centrifuges from about 164 in 2003 to 19,000 now, and they seem to be saying that this plan will stop that growth. And there will be daily inspections -- though I heard another source say the scope of those daily inspections was watered down from an earlier stated ideal.

Here's a blog from John Bolton suggesting it was called a win because Obama couldn't handle another loss in his foreign policy column.

Abject Surrender by the United States | The Weekly Standard

On This Week the panel, left and right, basically agreed that before this agreement Iran was about one to two months away from being able to make a big push toward weaponization, and now they'll be about two to four months away from being able to make that push.

My plan is to stay open-minded about this, but if Israel and Saudi Arabia are concerned I'm concerned.

I welcome opinions from across the spectrum to help me understand what the issues are here.

Here's a blog from John Bolton suggesting it was called a win because Obama couldn't handle another loss in his foreign policy column.
John Bolton is a far right neo-con extremist who is a die hard cheerleader for Israel and wants to attack Iran.

I suggest you balance your inquiry by reading what some moderate commentators say on the Iran issue. . :cool:

• Banned
John Bolton is a far right neo-con extremist who is a die hard cheerleader for Israel and wants to attack Iran.

I suggest you balance your inquiry by reading what some moderate commentators say on the Iran issue. . :cool:

Why don't you post some links and salient excerpts?

This thread is my attempt to hear opposing viewpoints. I don't plan to wade into the fiery google universe looking for the "correct" point of view. I might not recognize it when I saw it. Help me cut through the rhetoric.

The sanctions weren't supposed to make Iran give up nuclear ambitions. They were supposed to turn the Iranian people againt a government who caused the sanctions with nuclear ambitions. It worked remarkably well. In 2009 the people were ready to rise up and depose the mullahs. Then the people made a disastrous mistake. They asked the US for help and obama refused in favor of keeping the mullah's in power.

The sanctions weren't supposed to make Iran give up nuclear ambitions. They were supposed to turn the Iranian people againt a government who caused the sanctions with nuclear ambitions. It worked remarkably well. In 2009 the people were ready to rise up and depose the mullahs. Then the people made a disastrous mistake. They asked the US for help and obama refused in favor of keeping the mullah's in power.
That was just a bunch of western media nonsense.

Yes there were large anti-government demonstrations in Tehran as shown in the western media.

But a few days later the pro-government demonstrations were 10x times bigger.

But the western media gave that fact very little air play. . :cool:

I haven't believed Kerry since 1971

And I haven't trusted Iran since November 4 1979.........

This is nothing more than Political maneuvering probably to cover for Obamacare.

At any rate it will not be good for the People of the USA or the world.....

I haven't believed Kerry since 1971

And I haven't trusted Iran since November 4 1979.........

This is nothing more than Political maneuvering probably to cover for Obamacare.

At any rate it will not be good for the People of the USA or the world.....
Exactly how will it not be good for American citizens? . :cool:

Because beyond all else Iran wants nothing more than to be a Nuclear threat. Iran is not our friend, they have trained and may still be training people who have killed Americans. They support terrorism.

I know you may deny this all you want but that's it in my opinion....

Not to mention my personal feelings toward Iran stemming from 79....

Iran wanted economic sanctions lifted. They got that, albeit, conditionally. I do not trust this situation or Iran. Moreover, "The terms of the comprehensive agreement have yet to be defined, but it is suggested that that agreement will itself have an expiration date,” said Ray Takeyh, a former State Department and a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations. “It would be good if the comprehensive agreement was more final".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/w...ns-nuclear-program-still-lies-ahead.html?_r=0

There is so much more that needs to be done and this announcement is more wishful thinking than reality.

I don't know if this deal is good or not. What is the alternative, attacking Iran and starting a war? Is there any stopping Iran from developing nukes short of attacking them?

Will there soon be a big mushroom cloud over Israel?

Last edited:
I don't know if this deal is good or not. What is the alternative, attacking Iran and starting a war? Is their any stopping Iran from developing nukes short of attacking them?

I don't think Obama would go so far as to nuke Israel - he doesn't want his sycophants in Congress to lose the Jewish vote. But after the election....yeah, all bets might well be off.

I don't know if this deal is good or not. What is the alternative, attacking Iran and starting a war? Is their any stopping Iran from developing nukes short of attacking them?

Iran was so impacted by the economic sanctions that there was no reason to attack. That was not a viable alternative prior to this so-called agreement nor would it be if this situation falters.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Iran was so impacted by the economic sanctions that there was no reason to attack. That was not a viable alternative prior to this so-called agreement nor would it be if this situation falters.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

So the sanctions would had prevented them from developing a nuke?

Is the Iran deal a real win -- or a nominal one?

The high probability does arise that judging by past performance and its history of deceit Iran will not fully abide by the agreement and thereby will sufficiently upset the 5+1 partners to set back any further negotiations and agreements.

At this stage it's a real win for Iran, in that the world has not disallowed Iran's nuclear activity.

The only countries clearly understanding the situation are Israel and the Gulf countries, unfortunately the rest of the world hasn't got a clue. :mad:

Forum List

Back