Is the GOP intentionally preventing a recovery?

I just finished reading Jonathan Alter's book on President Barack Obama, "The Promise". Pretty fascinating to see just how things unfolded (from his perspective, as opposed to ours).

Just bought all three of Richard Wolffe's books.

Last edited:
The Republicans want to restrict spending and fed easing because they know this will help the economy.

The Republicans will harm America if they think it will help them win the next election.

Why has the House of Representatives not passed a jobs bill?

If tax cuts help the unemployed as tickledowers believe, wouldn't we have far less unemployment?

Taxes were cut ten years ago, and a second round of tax cuts passed in 2003, both benefitting the so- called yet unproven job creating class? What have they done with this bonus?

What gives?

Several Republican members of the echo chamber have take my post above and responded with their usual idiotgrams. As usual none of their comments are substantive, thoughtful or in one case rational.

The fact exists that no jobs bill has been introduced by the Boehner/Cantor leadership; most of their efforts have been put into naming public buildings, in pleasing the extreme conservative base and in attacking the president.

Of course that's politics as usual with one fundamental difference, today millions of Americans are suffering. This pain is being exploited by the Republicans, demagogues, charlatans and the usual fools who parrot divisive comments from leaders of the idiot fringe of the New Right.

You have a poor memory, it was the democrats that had full control of the house, the senate and the Presidency with super majority's and a filibuster proof senate. They passed the 787 billion dollar stimulus plan, stating that unemployment would not go above 8%, it went to 10%, now it's stuck at 9,2% and is rising yet again. The republicans could not block anything not even offer up any amendments as they did not have any power. Your party ownAmerican Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009s this mess lock, stock and barrel. Man up.

All done by the spender in Chief, and the commander of job destruction, Obama.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 was signed by President Obama on Feb. 17, 2009, a month into his presidency. Some may argue that had he not signed this bill "free markets" would have self corrected and by now the economy would be growing. There is no evidence to believe so, and what we know is we did not devolve from recession into depression; the economy remains weak but there is no cause and effect relationship (other than unsupported opinions) that ARRA is responsible.

Unemployment will not drop unless and until the Congress acts. Yes, government can create jobs, the ARRA was too small and a new round of spending is necessary.

Unemployment is the problem, along with consumer confidence. As long as the New Right continues to hammer on Obama, irrationally blame him for the near collapse of our economy in 2008 and continue to claim the sky is falling, little will change and millions of Americans will continue to suffer. Sadly, I honestly believe the New Right and the Republican leadership in Congress doesn't care. They have taken an ends & means strategy, making Obama a one term president is all they real care about.

Why did only some banks get saved?

Goldman and Chase = saved

Merrill Lynch, Bear, Lehman not saved

Why did only some banks get saved?

Goldman and Chase = saved

Merrill Lynch, Bear, Lehman not saved

The short answer to your question is that they were afraid of the ol' slippery slope. If Lehman had been saved, a lot of this disaster may well have been averted. Apparently nobody knew how deep their roots were into other institutions.

'Central Bank' is your construction, built by you so that you could argue it.

Just because it was included in your original claim.

Liar.

This is my original claim:

I'm in favor of saying "invest it or it will be taxed".

Maybe we need to follow Sweden's lead and have a negative interest rate for excess bank reserves.

EXCELLENT!

So what do excess reserves have to do with a bank charging a safe keeping fee or US Treasuries yielding a negative return?

I used words in the post above which likely need to be defined for some on this message board:

CHARLATAN:

noun
a person who pretends or claims to have more knowledge or skill than he or she possesses; quack.

Synonyms
impostor, mountebank, fraud, fake, phony.

DEMAGOGUE:

noun
a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.

a politician or orator who treats or manipulates (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
6a00d8341c511153ef014e8aad21a5970d-150wi

I had a bet with myself that a mindless fool would either suggest that I'm a charlatan or demagogue or the President is a charlatan or demagogue. You or crusaderfrank were foremost in my mind as being that mindless fool. Thanks Daveboy, you always come through.

It's really not my fault that you have an unhealthy level of devotion for the President. Do you have a little shrine?

This past week I drove from home through parts of California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming; road construction/repair was underway on US 80, 93, 95, 20, 84 and 15. The ARRA funded these repairs and improvements allowing for the easy and rapid movement of goods from farms to markets across the west.

Lets see if the radical Republicans stonewall a new Highway Act, doing would add more evidence that jobs and the recovery are not only not a priority, but they hope to keep our economy in a state of malaise through the 2012 election.

This past week I drove from home through parts of California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming; road construction/repair was underway on US 80, 93, 95, 20, 84 and 15. The ARRA funded these repairs and improvements allowing for the easy and rapid movement of goods from farms to markets across the west.

Lets see if the radical Republicans stonewall a new Highway Act, doing would add more evidence that jobs and the recovery are not only not a priority, but they hope to keep our economy in a state of malaise through the 2012 election.

I like roads and have nothing wrong with building them, however building roads to just build roads is not a good idea. We need to be smart about it and not recreate that liberal fiasco called the Big Dig.

I like roads and have nothing wrong with building them, however building roads to just build roads is not a good idea. We need to be smart about it and not recreate that liberal fiasco called the Big Dig.

Who said or suggested highways to no where were being built? The ones I noted are being repaired and widened and are used for commerce as well as connecting communities all across the West.

Who said or suggested highways to no where were being built? The ones I noted are being repaired and widened and are used for commerce as well as connecting communities all across the West.

You claimed that Republicans are against repairing roads. We are not.

Do you have anything more ridiculous to say?

Cons have resisted spending at every turn.
The last great highway expansion was done under a republican, Eisenhower, in the 1950s. It puts people to work, they spend, it boosts the economy as well as keeping out infrastructure safe.

Cons have resisted spending at every turn.
The last great highway expansion was done under a republican, Eisenhower, in the 1950s. It puts people to work, they spend, it boosts the economy as well as keeping out infrastructure safe.

Ike gave us highways because it was a national defense issue.

What do you want the Dems to do? Build tunnels like the Vietcong in order to put people back to work?

I see, you can't debate with facts so you take the low road. Roads cost money, and many roads I understand have been destroyed by Irene. Eric Cantor has argued there should be no money for relief until more cuts are made from the federal budget. The last time I looked Cantor was a Republican.

I see, you can't debate with facts so you take the low road. Roads cost money, and many roads I understand have been destroyed by Irene. Eric Cantor has argued there should be no money for relief until more cuts are made from the federal budget. The last time I looked Cantor was a Republican.

I see that you can't debate with babbling incoherent nonsense.

Cantor is right, before we spend more we need to cut back elsewhere. Don't punish other people for living in hurricane prone areas.

Some people are saying no, see the 'argument' against, here:

Schumer's conspiracy theory: GOP sabotaging recovery | David Freddoso | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

The evidence suggests Schumer's on to something. The House of Representatives has offered no debate on the issue of unemployment and has passed only 18 bills since taking control in January. 15 of those bills were passed to name federal buildings after someone. This do-nothing congress sees no urgency as millions of Americans are out of work, work one or two or three part time jobs simply to pay rent or the morgage on a home underwater.
The GOP leadership in both houses of congress has opposed all efforts by the president, and even turned down an offer by President Obama to reduce the payroll tax for businees. It seems ideology is only an excuse, the real reason is their lust for power.
If you're talking about efforts by the president to pass even more damaging legislation you are correct, they wont help him do that.
That might work for those on the left who dont pay attention, but the rest of us see exactly how you want to distort what is really happening in washington.

15 out of 18 bills passed are for naming new buildings?

Fire them all.

Of cousre partisan hacks on both sides will be busy re-electing them.

I would bet my next paycheck that there are way more buildings,roads etc named after democrats then there are for republicans. Look at West Virginia, every other building/road is named after Robert Byrd. I guess they want to leave their print to remind everyone of just who exactly fucked this country up.

I see that you can't debate with babbling incoherent nonsense.

Cantor is right, before we spend more we need to cut back elsewhere. Don't punish other people for living in hurricane prone areas.

A classic retort by a callous conservative. I don't feel punished when my tax dollars are spent to help my fellow Americans with humanitarian efforts.

Forum List

Back