Is the GOP intentionally preventing a recovery?

Economic growth is the aggregate of what all the participants in the economy create.

Aggregate Spending is Y = C+I+G+X-M

Perhaps you don't know what the G stands for in that formula. Why don't you look it up, and then we can talk about how the Government takes away from the economy.
This doesn't contradict me. GDP is just the total size of the economy, or specifically all the transactions in the economy. I didn't say that government spending doesn't exist, I said it doesn't create jobs. Or more precisely it doesn't create net jobs. The economy grows by adding value. The G comes from another bucket, no value is created and no jobs are created. Value is destroyed. That doesn't mean all value in the economy is destroyed, that means the government portion of the spending reduced wealth because it spent without creating value and therefore didn't create jobs.

I wonder how many people remember what happened in the 1980s when the Reagan Administration argued for massive tax cuts to corporations as an incentive for businesses to create jobs.

I do, it started a 20 year economic and stock market bull run.

What did many companies do with that new windfall? They used it to buy up other companies. The 1980s was the decade that saw the start of companies (sometimes smaller companies) gobbling up other companies in a buying spree. It led to the massive conglomerates which proliferate today.
Interestingly 2/3s of private jobs are in small to mid size businesses and today there are actually far fewer conglomerates then existed in the 70s as most of the multinationals have spun off non core businesses. Sorry the facts don't support you, but you were on a roll...

So let's recap kids:

Obama and the Dems damn near shutdown the U.S. economy with their Obamacare, regulations, taxes, etc., and now that they see they are going to get hammered in '12 over the economy, they blame it on the Republicans.

Priceless.

Again, not relevant to what the GOP is doing, or not doing. What has the GOP done to help the economy along?

Are you kidding me...they passed numerous bills for jobs...well, they passed uh, 150 bills creating jobs...whats that now?...they passed NONE...my bad.

Sorry, the GOP could care less about jobs even though they ran on job creations. They have the balls to say raising taxes on the top 1% will kill jobs? Really? What the fuck do they even know about job creations?

To use Obama speak, by stopping the planned tax raise on the job creators(those small business owners making over $200,000) the Republicans saved a million jobs. That sounds like a job bill to me.

Here, I have a little backup for you thanks to the WSJ. And there's an excellent chart at the link.

Bush On Jobs: The Worst Track Record On Record

Bush On Jobs: The Worst Track Record On Record - Real Time Economics - WSJ

It's a fact, more jobs are created under Democratic administrations. Two of the biggest tax cuts during the Bush administration was 2001, 2003. Why didn't they "create" a ton of jobs. But as everyone can see, during his administration fewer jobs were created.

Liberals are absolutely incapable of taking responsibility for their own actions.

It's always someone else's fault.

"Someone else" is the bulwark of their ideology. Someone else's money, someone else needs to pay, someone else did it, someone else screwed it up, someone else needs to give me this, etc.
I suppose it beats thinking.

Liberals are absolutely incapable of taking responsibility for their own actions.

It's always someone else's fault.

Hell at this point I'd be happy if they would take any action on fixing the mess they've created.
Never happen. Since they didn't create the problem (in their own minds), they're under no obligation to fix it. And if they make it worse, that's the fault of the guy who originally created the problem.

That's every Republicans top priority. to defeat [Obama], that don't mean we want the economy to tank.

But you have to see how that is not a pro-active policy. If you are anti-everything-Obama-does, then what happens when he does something you want? Like the times he has lower taxes, and the GOP opposed it. That's surreal!

The GOP is not FOR anything right now except maybe zero taxes. This is what I wonder about. What are you guys FOR? What has the GOP done that is positive for the economy?

What does the GOP want? "My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."
Grover Norquist

And what does that mean? No meat inspections, No environmental protections, No civil rights protections, no consumer protections, no banking regulations (look where that's gotten us). It means the death of our Republic and a new nation conceived and dedicated to profit under the rule of Plutocrats.
No, it doesn't, you idiot.

I'd be ashamed of myself if I needed the government to make all my decisions for me.

Some people revel in it.

I'm saying you're an obvious hack on these boards so far.

The only reason you think I'm a hack is because you refuse to read and think about my posts. I have blamed the Dems before for not getting the economy rolling again. The Recovery Act was much too small and had way too much in tax cuts in it. I know that Obama did that to try to get GOP support, and I blame him for even trying. The GOP was going to vote no on anything Obama presented, even if it were a bill to stop all taxes forever, and the fact Obama did not see that and address that, I think, was a huge mistake, and it cost his party in the 2010 elections.

Of course, whatever blame I lay at the feet of the Dems has nothing to do with what the GOP has done, or not done, in the past couple of years. Notwithstanding the fact that many of the Republicans screaming over debt reduction now, are the same ones who doubled the debt under Bush's Administration, I see nothing they have done, or are even presenting as a party, to help get the economy growing again. They set a record for filibusters by any Congress in history and proclaimed proudly their #1 priority it to unseat Obama. Not create jobs. Not end wars. Not cut taxes. But to get their party in the White House. Period. Full stop.

So again, the Dems are not perfect, and I will never say they are. Their Recovery Act did not work as well as they wanted but at least they did something! They're trying! The GOP is doing nothing, and I haven't seen anyone even attempt to show otherwise.

Yes a hack, 100% hack... You say, Obama should have done more, but he couldn't because and I quote "The GOP was going to vote no on anything Obama presented." there, right there you blame the GOP for what Obama failed to do. Then you go on babbling about epic filibusters... Name a single policy that Obama wanted that has been stopped, run me over with this fantastic amount of cockblocking.

Obama got everything he wanted, it just didn't work and so of course as predicted there are 2 reasons...

1: The stimulus was not big enough... The fed did a FOUR TRILLION DOLLAR STIMULUS ON THE SIDE BTW.

2: Does it matter, you all including Obama already admitted the stimulus failed to hit any of it's benchmarks set by the people who wanted it the most.
So keep pawning it off on the Reps in the house for “not doing much” over the last 6 months… WTF were they suppose to do? Pass another stimulus lol? It’s not like they held anything up that was important or passed a economy destroy bill…

Again I’m no fan of the GOP but dude, get your shit strait before you blame the last 2 and a half years on collapse on the Republicans taking control of the house and “doing nothing.”

And about the bolded, their stimulus failed to keep the economy/jobs under even the worse case scenario (no stimulus passed) projections... That’s “something” allright.

Last edited:
Is the GOP intentionally preventing a recovery?

Can there be any doubt? Seriously?

Economic growth is the aggregate of what all the participants in the economy create.

Aggregate Spending is Y = C+I+G+X-M

Perhaps you don't know what the G stands for in that formula. Why don't you look it up, and then we can talk about how the Government takes away from the economy.
This doesn't contradict me. GDP is just the total size of the economy, or specifically all the transactions in the economy. I didn't say that government spending doesn't exist, I said it doesn't create jobs. Or more precisely it doesn't create net jobs. The economy grows by adding value. The G comes from another bucket, no value is created and no jobs are created. Value is destroyed. That doesn't mean all value in the economy is destroyed, that means the government portion of the spending reduced wealth because it spent without creating value and therefore didn't create jobs.

So, you're opinion then is this:

If a consumer (C) borrows money from Canada and spends it here, that will be good, GDP will rise and net jobs will be created.
If a business borrows money from Canada to invest (I) here, that will be good, GDP will rise and net jobs will be created.
If the government (G) borrows money from Canada and spends it here, that is the worst possible thing that could happen, GDP will drop and jobs will be destroyed.

I'd love to see you explain how that happens, but I'm really more curious to know what you think happens when X increases. Do we get invaded by Martians?

Some people are saying no, see the 'argument' against, here:

Schumer's conspiracy theory: GOP sabotaging recovery | David Freddoso | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

The evidence suggests Schumer's on to something. The House of Representatives has offered no debate on the issue of unemployment and has passed only 18 bills since taking control in January. 15 of those bills were passed to name federal buildings after someone. This do-nothing congress sees no urgency as millions of Americans are out of work, work one or two or three part time jobs simply to pay rent or the morgage on a home underwater.

The GOP leadership in both houses of congress has opposed all efforts by the president, and even turned down an offer by President Obama to reduce the payroll tax for businees. It seems ideology is only an excuse, the real reason is their lust for power.

Part of it is that; the other part is Obama and Democrats's tendency to cave.

Forum List

Back