Is religion just an evolutionary tool?

Religion has certainly played an important role in the evolutionary process, if that's what you mean. Like I said before, in many ways most everyone here has religion to thank for their very existence. For whatever reasons, and I'm sure we could think of many, religion has been shown to be an extremely positive fitness for survival attribute.

most everyone here has religion to thank for their very existence

:rofl:
:rolleyes:

HA!

fact my ass.

you wanna prove as much or should I just take your word on it?

I guess there's about a one in a trillion chance I'm wrong but I'd bet everything I own you don't come from a long line of atheists. I'd bet your ancestors were all religious practitioners, probably all the way up to your parents (or at least grand parents). If you want to assume that every single person that has ever lived that ultimately led to you, was not greatly influenced by religion, and in fact that everything would have worked out exactly as it has, then go right ahead. It wouldn't be the first time you were unable to differentiate between your ideology and reality (see: your previous 9th Amendment jackassery).

uh.. so if you extrapolate that logic further than your jebus fantasy then I guess we all owe our lives to good ole slave owning Egyptians for developing building methods, those silly greeks for theatre, those nutty inventors from Syricuse, HAMMURABI's pagan ass for being the first ruler to develop a set of universal laws, etc etc, eh?

WOW. the length that christians will go in order to feel special sure is comedy gold.

Yes yes... if the inquisition DIDNT happen just like it did, with as many dead pagans as necessary, then we'd never be where we are at today..

uh, sure.

:cuckoo:

and, if you want to discus the ninth amendment I'll gladly pounce on your thread.. But, you have to promise not to come to the table with stupid ass comments like the assumption that everyone owes their life to religion just because earlier humans let their cults thrive in the absence of science.

:cool:

It's not an assumption, it's a fact. And it's not specifically about Christianity, or even faith, it's about the institution of religion.

And for the other things you extrapolate in attempted parody, all those things played a role too. Just not quite as large a role as religion, IMO.

Hey Shooter,

As entertaining as they can sometimes be, I'm going to spare you the need to deliver another one of your vitriolic diatribes and explain my point in such simple terms that even you should be able to grok.

Every individual represents a culmination of the history and lineage that has been laid and which has directly resulted in their existence. Therefore, anything that has played such an enormous role in shaping the course of history, such as religion, is at least partly responsible for the end result as well...your existence. Perhaps you were thrown by my initial wording, specifically saying religion is to be thanked. That word works for me since I'm thankful. But I can see how it might have confused you.

It's not an assumption, it's a fact. And it's not specifically about Christianity, or even faith, it's about the institution of religion.

And for the other things you extrapolate in attempted parody, all those things played a role too. Just not quite as large a role as religion, IMO.

"IMO" is probably the truest word in your post.

Hey Shooter,

As entertaining as they can sometimes be, I'm going to spare you the need to deliver another one of your vitriolic diatribes and explain my point in such simple terms that even you should be able to grok.

Every individual represents a culmination of the history and lineage that has been laid and which has directly resulted in their existence. Therefore, anything that has played such an enormous role in shaping the course of history, such as religion, is at least partly responsible for the end result as well...your existence. Perhaps you were thrown by my initial wording, specifically saying religion is to be thanked. That word works for me since I'm thankful. But I can see how it might have confused you.

oh.. so slavery, rape, class warfare, imperialism, disease, death, murder, suicide, child molestation and every other facet of human history is ALSO an aspect of the culmination of our existence. so fucking what. You can be thankful all day long that your dogma junky ancestors claimed europe by killing off the pagan barbarians but such doesn't make anyone else "the product" of, uh, christian, uh, benevolence.

Clearly, "IMO" is not indicative of a "Fact"

But, thanks for another profound statement.

Forum List

Back