Is profiling wrong?

BobPlumb

VIP Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'm guilty of being a profiler. When I see a young man muscular man, I profile him as being physically strong.....perhaps someone who works out. If I see a lady wearing a smock, I profile her as being a nurse. If I see someone who I'd driving a very expensive luxury car who also wears expensive cloths and jewelry, I profile that person as being rich. If I see someone using a wheelchair to get around, I profile that person as being handicap. If I see someone who has the facial features of having Downs Syndrome, I assume the person have Downs Syndrome. If I see a scantily clad woman hanging out at a street corner in a rough part of town, I profile her as being a hooker. If I see a man wearing a suit and carrying a bible in a hospital, I profile him as being a minister.

I could go on and on. Doesn't everyone profile?

If I see a young man or teenager who is dressed in gang style clothing strutting around like a "gangsta", I assume until evidence proves otherwise that the guy is a young thug. I'm i wrong to do this? Why?

I'm guilty of being a profiler. When I see a young man muscular man, I profile him as being physically strong.....perhaps someone who works out. If I see a lady wearing a smock, I profile her as being a nurse. If I see someone who I'd driving a very expensive luxury car who also wears expensive cloths and jewelry, I profile that person as being rich. If I see someone using a wheelchair to get around, I profile that person as being handicap. If I see someone who has the facial features of having Downs Syndrome, I assume the person have Downs Syndrome. If I see a scantily clad woman hanging out at a street corner in a rough part of town, I profile her as being a hooker. If I see a man wearing a suit and carrying a bible in a hospital, I profile him as being a minister.

If I see a young man or teenager who is dressed in gang style clothing strutting around like a "gangsta", I assume until evidence proves otherwise that the guy is a young thug. I'm i wrong to do this? Why?

I never profile, and yes, you're wrong to do so. "Profiling" is the pseudo-polite conservatard code-word for "discrimination," and of course, discrimination--in any form, in any capacity--is wrong.

Just because the people in your examples may appear to you to be a certain way doesn't mean that they actually are. So someone drives an expensive car and wears nice clothes--so what? That does not mean they're rich, it means they have an expensive car and expensive clothes. So what if someone looks like they have Down Syndrome--have you ever considered that maybe they don't have Down Syndome, but are merely Uggo-Americans?

Your kind makes me sick. I'll bet you'd call someone a thief if they pointed a gun at you and demanded money. What if they're using the money to pay for a poor orphan's life-saving surgery? You really need to get some perspective.

I never profile, and yes, you're wrong to do so. "Profiling" is the pseudo-polite conservatard code-word for "discrimination," and of course, discrimination--in any form, in any capacity--is wrong.

Just because the people in your examples may appear to you to be a certain way doesn't mean that they actually are. So someone drives an expensive car and wears nice clothes--so what? That does not mean they're rich, it means they have an expensive car and expensive clothes. So what if someone looks like they have Down Syndrome--have you ever considered that maybe they don't have Down Syndome, but are merely Uggo-Americans?

Your kind makes me sick. I'll bet you'd call someone a thief if they pointed a gun at you and demanded money. What if they're using the money to pay for a poor orphan's life-saving surgery? You really need to get some perspective.

Discrimination is not wrong. It is a natural self defense mechanism.

You're a profiler. Your kind makes me sick.

Discrimination is not wrong. It is a natural self defense mechanism.
If LiberalMedia is married, what would you bet that he discriminated against a billion other available women in the world.

Has anyone reported him to the authorities?

That is stereotyping, not profiling. Profiling is only an issue if you are in a position of power...and even at that, I see no problem with profiling the way you describe it. If you dress and act like a thug, be prepared to be treated like a thug.

Where the line is crossed is when you profile a person simply because of their race.

It's wrong when we don't agree to the terms in advance.
When we do the profiling, we understand what we were thinking so it's different.
When it's done to us, we can't tell what the other person was thinking so it causes problems.

If all people in a community AGREE to the rules and procedures,
and understand/accept when "X Y Z" is going to be the response to "A B C"
then we can work out agreements.

A lot of these issues can be reduced or eliminated if we have closer
collaborative working relations within each district, and we agree and know
who is who and what the rules are that we agree to follow in advance.

If there are going to be problems mistakes or flaws, we should agree how to handle that.

Last edited:
Everybody profiles every day. The word "discriminate" used to be acceptable until it was appropriated by the Civil Rights movement. The common definition of "street smart" is being able to quickly profile a person. The nagging question is how far government can stretch the Constitution and profile a citizen in order to protect society from injury or harm ...or not. The question has never been answered.

Hi [MENTION=49168]LiberalMedia[/MENTION] I appreciate your concern and your high standards which are noble.

All people make associations, and we are all prone to make assumptions and mistakes.
It would be nice to be perfect, and always check ourselves.

But even with people we've known 10 or 20 years, we can make leaps and mistakes.
It happens to the best of us, even married people who think they already know it all!
We have those incidents where we can't understand "how could you NOT know"
"how did you assume THAT when you KNOW that's not what I was doing/thinking"

If we make assumptions and mistakes with even people we "know like the back of our hand"
surely we are going to make mistakes with people we don't know.

Even though you can't stand to see these mistakes in judgment, preventable or not,
we are less likely to make them when we FORGIVE one another in advance.
This "clears the air" of distrust and negative emotions that otherwise block our intuition.

The more open and receptive we are, we communicate better, and are more likely to ask in advance by sensing there is something inconsistent we are missing, rather than assume that other person is the problem and make a leap in judgment.

So I don't want to discourage you from seeking a perfect world with perfect human relations where we don't make mistakes that can be prevented.
Quite the opposite, I want to encourage you that to achieve this goal of perfect harmony and understanding, FORGIVENESS is the key to opening that door to connect with others.

Thanks and again I'm glad to see you here and posting your honest thoughts that are a beneficial contribution to this forum. I look forward to reading more of what you have to share. and I hope the other members of this board help you to be more effective in your outreach where it is needed the most! Thank you.

Last edited:

For the record, I get sarcasm.

Unless you are the police or some government authority, then no you are not wrong. You are free to do as you like as a private individual. If you are the police or some government authority, then yes you are wrong.

What you are talking about is first impressions, which are fine. When people talk about profiling, they are typically talking about singling out people for special attention by government officials simply by the way they look. If you look middle eastern, you get strip searched going through airport security. If you are Hispanic, you get pulled over and searched on the assumption your are an illegal. You get harassed by the government because of how you look, not what you do. Is that ok?

What you are talking about is first impressions, which are fine. When people talk about profiling, they are typically talking about singling out people for special attention by government officials simply by the way they look. If you look middle eastern, you get strip searched going through airport security. If you are Hispanic, you get pulled over and searched on the assumption your are an illegal. You get harassed by the government because of how you look, not what you do. Is that ok?

Exactly. Profiling is okay until it is you who is being profiled. i do believe, if you define yourself as a thug, you ask for it...but I can't agree with it if the profiling is solely based on race or religion.

Is accusing whites of all being racist, wrong? Think about that? Or how about attacking innocent people in the knock out game. How is that any different then what whites were doing in the 60's and 70's?

WTF you talking about, gimp boy...I would agree with you being profiled.

Based on what you wrote, I would profile YOU as being a LIBTURD who voted for Barack Obama TWICE, not because he was the most qualified person to be POTUS, but because he is a leftist and, as a "wet-dream" bonus, he is BLACK (well, half-black).

I would also profile you as being a narcissistic bottom feeder who has few, if any, friends.

I am more likely to open a door for a lady than a man. Is that profiling?

Is it profiling when I think I can tell the sex, male or female, of people by how the look? Some men dress and look like women.

IMHO it is practically impossible for a normal human being to not profile.

Blacks commit nearly 5 times per capita over whites when it comes to murder. How is it fair or right not to focus on black area's??? Blacks commit 50% of all murders and these are 90% black on black. So they don't want law enforcement trying to make their neighborhoods safer?

its like some of these posters here ... some saying they work as a prison guard ... then saw one of the inmates on the street panhandling with a sign saying veteran, needs help... the fact that this persons was in prison and now is let out doesn't mean he wasn't a veteran prior to being jailed ... I see them getting arrested all the time an jailed then let out ... it still doesn't stop them from being a veteran who needs help ... but to hear it form them they are liars and criminals moochers looking for a free ride ... you do what you have to do to survive ... they teach you that in the service ... but the guard at the prison felt he was a moocher looking for a free ride by using the name veteran... i find republicans never look at the whole picture ... they look at how will that cost them

the other night they did a thing on people who belong in a mental institution... this was a warden speaking about the inmates in his prison ... he said that half of the inmates are people who belong in a mental institution ... but their aren't any way to get them there... where the warden knows they soon will be released to the public ... that they shouldn't be released ... it just our republican friends who feel they a fakers and we don't need to house them at their expense ...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back