Is personal responsibility the only answer?

Is Bill Cosby the rapist right? Why the hell would I ask him?

Cosby is the rapist now. But a few years ago people like you would point to Cosby as someone blacks should think like.

Bill Cosby is not a rapist, he is a whore monger. And perhaps a dishonest one.

Doesn't mean he is wrong about what the black community needs.

He's wrong. You damn sure wouldn't know.

"personal responsibility" isn't in the eubonics dictionary.

Cosby is the rapist now. But a few years ago people like you would point to Cosby as someone blacks should think like.

Bill Cosby is not a rapist, he is a whore monger. And perhaps a dishonest one.

Doesn't mean he is wrong about what the black community needs.

He's wrong. You damn sure wouldn't know.

Your dismissal of the concept of REASON, is noted and laughed at.

YOu just keep doing what you are doing. I'm sure it will start working for you anytime now.

Don't worry about all the young black men that die, that don't have to, you can blame them on whitey in order to cope.

I've seen many ops and posts about poor blacks in the inner cities and I find most to be extremely critical and negative.

I’ve just read “Is Bill Cosby Right? (or has the black middle class lost its mind?) by Michael Eric Dyson.

He says, “The poor cannot erase the blight of white supremacy by behaving better, no matter what advocates of racial uplift or personal responsibility like Bill Cosby suggest. Assuming personal responsibility cannot remove vicious structural barriers to economic mobility. Exercising personal responsibility cannot prevent the postindustrial decline in major northeastern cities, nor can it fix the crumbling infrastructure that continues to keep the poor, well, poor. Being personally responsible can’t stop job flight, structural shifts in the political economy, the increasing technological monopoly of work, downsizing, or outsourcing, problems that middle-class folk, who are presumed to be more personally responsible than the poor, face in abundance these days. As historian Robin D.G. Kelley observes:

The reality is, all the self-help in the world will not eliminate poverty or create the number of jobs needed to employ the African American community. Multinational corporations control 70 percent of world trade, and about one-third of world trade consists of transfers within the 350 largest global corporations. Rather than merely exploit Third World labor to extract or cultivate raw materials, increasingly we have witnessed the export of whole production processes as corporations seek to take advantage of cheaper labor, relatively lower taxes, and a deregulated environment…Well-paying jobs made possible by decades of union struggle disappeared.

We hold the poor immediately responsible for mastering their domain, and yet society bears the ultimate responsibility for making their social environment a cruel obstacle course of severely limited options while virtually assuring their failure with poorly arranged alternatives to their suffering. To paraphrase Dorothy Day, the great Catholic social activist who spent her life working with and loving the poor, “We must work toward a world in which it is easier for the poor to behave decently.”
So your plan, is to keep doing what we have been doing, since the 40's, b/c it will work, next year.

all those wealthy and well to do black people that sucked it up and acted like adults should have stayed on the dnc plantation, waiting for another hand out to nowhere.

This book was written in response to Cosby's unrelenting criticism of poor black folks. Then when all of his own bad behavior surfaced, it showed the utter hypocrisy of it all.

It does make me wonder, though, how many of those who constantly criticize others have their own hidden issues. We are all flawed. When Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone," everybody dropped their rocks and walked away.
Bill went from being dirt poor to the top of the economic ladder.

his legal problems do not mean his advise should be ignored.

was he convicted?

no?

then you're wrong
He lost two civil suits and settled one out of court.
He's guilty!
and yet he's not in jail.

I honestly don't care.

he went from actual rags to actual riches and the modern black person considers him a race traitor for telling black people to get to work and be adults.

was he convicted?

no?

then you're wrong
He lost two civil suits and settled one out of court.
He's guilty!
and yet he's not in jail.

I honestly don't care.

he went from actual rags to actual riches and the modern black person considers him a race traitor for telling black people to get to work and be adults.
What he said was right but what he practiced was wrong. Agreed?

I've seen many ops and posts about poor blacks in the inner cities and I find most to be extremely critical and negative.

I’ve just read “Is Bill Cosby Right? (or has the black middle class lost its mind?) by Michael Eric Dyson.

He says, “The poor cannot erase the blight of white supremacy by behaving better, no matter what advocates of racial uplift or personal responsibility like Bill Cosby suggest. Assuming personal responsibility cannot remove vicious structural barriers to economic mobility. Exercising personal responsibility cannot prevent the postindustrial decline in major northeastern cities, nor can it fix the crumbling infrastructure that continues to keep the poor, well, poor. Being personally responsible can’t stop job flight, structural shifts in the political economy, the increasing technological monopoly of work, downsizing, or outsourcing, problems that middle-class folk, who are presumed to be more personally responsible than the poor, face in abundance these days. As historian Robin D.G. Kelley observes:

The reality is, all the self-help in the world will not eliminate poverty or create the number of jobs needed to employ the African American community. Multinational corporations control 70 percent of world trade, and about one-third of world trade consists of transfers within the 350 largest global corporations. Rather than merely exploit Third World labor to extract or cultivate raw materials, increasingly we have witnessed the export of whole production processes as corporations seek to take advantage of cheaper labor, relatively lower taxes, and a deregulated environment…Well-paying jobs made possible by decades of union struggle disappeared.

We hold the poor immediately responsible for mastering their domain, and yet society bears the ultimate responsibility for making their social environment a cruel obstacle course of severely limited options while virtually assuring their failure with poorly arranged alternatives to their suffering. To paraphrase Dorothy Day, the great Catholic social activist who spent her life working with and loving the poor, “We must work toward a world in which it is easier for the poor to behave decently.”
Cosby is like a lot of Blacks that make it through hard work, determination, and luck who will say "hey I did it you can too". They will get amnesia on what it took to get where they are and not consider the impact facing racism and poverty will have on someone not as motivated or simply unsure of what they want to do. If your circumstances keep pushing you down its easy to lay there and rest. Most people do it. Black people just have more things pushing them down.

Forum List

Back