Is Obama Threatening The Supreme Court Justices?

Obama warns justices against 'activism' on health law

President Obama said today he is confident the Supreme Court will uphold his health care law -- and basically warned the justices against striking down the law by practicing what he called "judicial activism."

"I'd just remind conservative commentators that for years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism, or a lack of judicial restraint," Obama said during a joint news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Obama defined activism by saying "an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted passed law -- well, here's a good example. And I'm pretty confident that this -- this court will recognize that and not take that step."

Obama taking his politics to the SCOTUS?

The case is over...they voted...they know the outcome...Is Obama trying to influence thier decision?

Video in the story...

Hey, turn-about is fair play.

The SCOTUS is doing the job of the legislative branch so why shouldn't the president or the legislative branch remind them that their job is not to legislate from the bench - which is exactly what they did in the hearings.

Why are we even discussing this? Its not like they're going to vote in favor of the US citizen. The vote WILL BE 5 to 4, against affordable health care for US citizens.

What about our system of 'checks and balances' don't you understand, besides EVERYTHING!

Why are we even discussing this? Its not like they're going to vote in favor of the US citizen. The vote WILL BE 5 to 4, against affordable health care for US citizens.

No. It would be a vote against forcing someone to buy a product.

Nor is ObamaCare the path to affordable health care.

Judicial activism is legislating from the bench. Striking down laws that are unconstitutional is part of their duties as Supreme Court Justices.

You do NOTE that Obama was talking about 'unelected people and policy'?

(Noting that SCOTUS Justices are nominated, and vetted by the Congress)?

What does he think ObamaCare and IPAB is? Unelected people making decisions for others about thier lives.

The pres talks about the SCOTUS as if they fall under him in the food chain rather than a seperate and equal branch of government.

Precisely.

Obama has NO concept of 'Separation of Powers' much less the branches of government...especially when they don't DO what he wants...or FEARS he may be batted down.

An ex-community organizer turned Prez making accusations of activism?
Can't make this shit up if I tried.

Outstanding point!

A community organizer spends his life trying to get judges to legislate from the bench.

B. Kidd wins.

Judicial activism is legislating from the bench. Striking down laws that are unconstitutional is part of their duties as Supreme Court Justices.
He's not referring to striking down the law, but changing the law by carving out parts of the law such as the mandate and preexisting conditions.

President Obama said today he is confident the Supreme Court will uphold his health care law -- and basically warned the justices against striking down the law by practicing what he called "judicial activism."

"I'd just remind conservative commentators that for years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism, or a lack of judicial restraint," Obama said during a joint news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Obama defined activism by saying "an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted passed law -- well, here's a good example. And I'm pretty confident that this -- this court will recognize that and not take that step."

The case is over...they voted...they know the outcome...Is Obama trying to influence thier decision?

Video in the story...

The SCOTUS is doing the job of the legislative branch so why shouldn't the president or the legislative branch remind them that their job is not to legislate from the bench - which is exactly what they did in the hearings.

Luddly, talking about cases before the USSC is UNWISE.

Video in the story...

Aren't his opponents trying to threaten riots or outright rebellion? Whatever he's said pales in comparison to the treasonous thongs we hear from the wingnuts.

BTW, the case isn't over, no final vote has been taken and no one knows the outcome.

Obamacare in the supreme court is not about republicans or democrats. They are deciding on the constitution and laws as to whether obamacare is within those rules and law. Obama should not threaten the court. I realize his appointee kagan is in the court on this and that should make obama happy. But she might be out voted with the other judges. The obamacare is completely unconstitutional and would be a disaster on every citizen in this country. I pray they rule against it.

Needless to say, you could not be more wrong. The SCOTUS is ALWAYS about right vs left. Grow up and read.

Second, we already pay for this bill but the SCOTUS will vote 5 to 4 against it.

And, cripes, why don't you rw's ever educate yourselves? If you read anything past lushbo and faux, you would not have written "... kagan is in the court ..."

The op is dumb. Just plain dumb. President Obama did not "threaten" the SCOTUS and the same dumbass wrote this -

He was a lecturer whom was supposedly studied in the Constitution.

Whom better than a Statist schooled in it to use it to his advantage to circummvent it...and get away with it?

His bluff has been called...and he knows it.

Where do you fools get these ridiculous ideas?

He's not referring to striking down the law, but changing the law by carving out parts of the law such as the mandate and preexisting conditions.

Severability was not built in.... they cant do that.

Its all or nothing.

Video in the story...

It isn't thier JOB and never has been...or did you forget last week? Or do you not know there are 3 Separate but equal branches of Government as every elementary school kid should know?

[SIZE=+1]Scalia: You Expect Us to Read 2,700 Pages?[/SIZE]

Its all or nothing.

Precisely. Obama, his SG, and the authors of the bill were roundly chastised for it BY the justicies.

Video in the story...

The SCOTUS is not legislating from the bench... they are deciding whether or not the LAW legislative branch created is constitutional or not.

The 'severability clause' was in there, Reid got it out. So now it's all or nothing.

Its all or nothing.

Precisely. Obama, his SG, and the authors of the bill were roundly chastised for it BY the justicies.

Oh but they are legislating from the bench :eek:

These idiots are such lightweights when it come to The Constitution.

Video in the story...

Aren't his opponents trying to threaten riots or outright rebellion? Whatever he's said pales in comparison to the treasonous thongs we hear from the wingnuts.

BTW, the case isn't over, no final vote has been taken and no one knows the outcome.

treasonous thongs? what? yer thong won't stay put?? or what?? jaysus.. you can't make this shit up can ya? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Video in the story...

Luddly, talking about cases before the USSC is UNWISE.

Sorry, but I'm not getting your meaning.

Treasonous Thongs would be a good name for a band.

So would Ridiculous Hyperbole, which your post is an excellent example of.

Video in the story...

"Desperate times call for desperate measures." I was not at all surprised. It is just a taste of bitter things to come, before November...

It is the left who have been the judicial activists, rewriting the Constitution ever since the New Deal, but like everything else they try and twist it around and accuse their political opponents of doing what they're actually doing themselves, to try and trick the ignorant among us into thinking those rewriting our Constitution through the courts are in the mainstream while those protecting it are the extremists.

Forum List

Back