Is Obama Threatening The Supreme Court Justices?

I am speculating, but it is highly probable that Kagen or Sotomayor (or both) called Obama and told him the outcome of Friday's vote. Now Obama is in full defense mode......He learned his trade from Al, Jesse, Rev Jeremiah, Calypso Louie et. al, .....what did you expect? :lol:

Obama warns justices against 'activism' on health law

President Obama said today he is confident the Supreme Court will uphold his health care law -- and basically warned the justices against striking down the law by practicing what he called "judicial activism."

"I'd just remind conservative commentators that for years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism, or a lack of judicial restraint," Obama said during a joint news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Obama defined activism by saying "an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted passed law -- well, here's a good example. And I'm pretty confident that this -- this court will recognize that and not take that step."

Obama taking his politics to the SCOTUS?

No, he is taking it to the people. This was for consumption by his base.

He is using his base to intimidate the Supreme Court. It is beyond me how he even considers himself a Constitutional Scholar. His attempt to define the Role of the Court is Pathetic. I think he has more in common with Chavez, than his Predecessors. Some Lame Reasoning going on in his head. Get's more like the Caine Mutiny everyday. Only a matter of time before he starts noticing missing strawberries.

Judicial activism is legislating from the bench. Striking down laws that are unconstitutional is part of their duties as Supreme Court Justices.

Yet Roe V Wade still stands. It must be constitutional.

How will you feel when they rule Obamacare constitutional?

Roe v Wade is not a law.

Which just proves how incredibly stupid you are, and explains why no one. even your fellow racists, respects you.

No where in the Constitution will one find any clause giving the Supreme Court the power to declare an act of Congress or excutive action unconstitutional. The Court simply decided to give itself that power, and took it. I wonder if that comes under the heading of judicial activism?

President Obama said today he is confident the Supreme Court will uphold his health care law -- and basically warned the justices against striking down the law by practicing what he called "judicial activism."

"I'd just remind conservative commentators that for years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism, or a lack of judicial restraint," Obama said during a joint news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Obama defined activism by saying "an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted passed law -- well, here's a good example. And I'm pretty confident that this -- this court will recognize that and not take that step."

The case is over...they voted...they know the outcome...Is Obama trying to influence thier decision?

Video in the story...

Hey, turn-about is fair play.

The SCOTUS is doing the job of the legislative branch so why shouldn't the president or the legislative branch remind them that their job is not to legislate from the bench - which is exactly what they did in the hearings.

Why are we even discussing this? Its not like they're going to vote in favor of the US citizen. The vote WILL BE 5 to 4, against affordable health care for US citizens.

The Supreme Court is writing laws and sending them to the president for signature?

:cuckoo:

I am speculating, but it is highly probable that Kagen or Sotomayor (or both) called Obama and told him the outcome of Friday's vote. Now Obama is in full defense mode......He learned his trade from Al, Jesse, Rev Jeremiah, Calypso Louie et. al, .....what did you expect? :lol:

Seeing as the AP was crying on Friday that it was the day that the Justices were to make thier decision...and there was NO ONE but the nine in attendence?

I don't discount your premise...

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Justices meet Friday to vote on health care case[/FONT]

WASHINGTON (AP) - While the rest of us have to wait until June, the justices of the Supreme Court will know the likely outcome of the historic health care case by the time they go home this weekend.

After months of anticipation, thousands of pages of briefs and more than six hours of arguments, the justices will vote on the fate of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul in under an hour Friday morning. They will meet in a wood-paneled conference room on the court's main floor. No one else will be present.
In the weeks after this meeting, individual votes can change. Even who wins can change, as the justices read each other's draft opinions and dissents.

Obamacare in the supreme court is not about republicans or democrats. They are deciding on the constitution and laws as to whether obamacare is within those rules and law. Obama should not threaten the court. I realize his appointee kagan is in the court on this and that should make obama happy. But she might be out voted with the other judges. The obamacare is completely unconstitutional and would be a disaster on every citizen in this country. I pray they rule against it.

Needless to say, you could not be more wrong. The SCOTUS is ALWAYS about right vs left. Grow up and read.

Second, we already pay for this bill but the SCOTUS will vote 5 to 4 against it.

And, cripes, why don't you rw's ever educate yourselves? If you read anything past lushbo and faux, you would not have written "... kagan is in the court ..."

The op is dumb. Just plain dumb. President Obama did not "threaten" the SCOTUS and the same dumbass wrote this -

He was a lecturer whom was supposedly studied in the Constitution.

Whom better than a Statist schooled in it to use it to his advantage to circummvent it...and get away with it?

His bluff has been called...and he knows it.

Where do you fools get these ridiculous ideas?

Kagan and her "boatload of federal money" and she thinks it's not coercive? Who's money is this money coming from and what is the origin of debt that allows her to do this?

"It's just a boatload of federal money to take and spend on poor people's healthcare," Kagan said. "It doesn't sound very coercive to me."

Last edited:

The case is over...they voted...they know the outcome...Is Obama trying to influence thier decision?

Video in the story...

Hey, turn-about is fair play.

The SCOTUS is doing the job of the legislative branch so why shouldn't the president or the legislative branch remind them that their job is not to legislate from the bench - which is exactly what they did in the hearings.

Why are we even discussing this? Its not like they're going to vote in favor of the US citizen. The vote WILL BE 5 to 4, against affordable health care for US citizens.

The Supreme Court is writing laws and sending them to the president for signature?

Boggles the mind, doesn't it? :lol:

Obamacare in the supreme court is not about republicans or democrats. They are deciding on the constitution and laws as to whether obamacare is within those rules and law. Obama should not threaten the court. I realize his appointee kagan is in the court on this and that should make obama happy. But she might be out voted with the other judges. The obamacare is completely unconstitutional and would be a disaster on every citizen in this country. I pray they rule against it.

Needless to say, you could not be more wrong. The SCOTUS is ALWAYS about right vs left. Grow up and read.

Second, we already pay for this bill but the SCOTUS will vote 5 to 4 against it.

And, cripes, why don't you rw's ever educate yourselves? If you read anything past lushbo and faux, you would not have written "... kagan is in the court ..."

The op is dumb. Just plain dumb. President Obama did not "threaten" the SCOTUS and the same dumbass wrote this -

Whom better than a Statist schooled in it to use it to his advantage to circummvent it...and get away with it?

Kagan and her "boatload of federal money" and she thinks it's not coercive? Who's money is she taking and where is the origin of debt that allows her to do this?

"It's just a boatload of federal money to take and spend on poor people's healthcare," Kagan said. "It doesn't sound very coercive to me."

I took the "boatload" comment as somewhat critical.

He is using his base to intimidate the Supreme Court. It is beyond me how he even considers himself a Constitutional Scholar. His attempt to define the Role of the Court is Pathetic. I think he has more in common with Chavez, than his Predecessors. Some Lame Reasoning going on in his head. Get's more like the Caine Mutiny everyday. Only a matter of time before he starts noticing missing strawberries.

He is. Fire them up and IF it's struck down? Anyone's guess at what might happen via OWS...:eusa_whistle:

Kagan and her "boatload of federal money" and she thinks it's not coercive? Who's money is this money coming from and what is the origin of debt that allows her to do this?

Correct.
icon14.gif

Elena Kagan: How Can Giving a Boatload of Money to Poor People be Unconstitutional?

He is. Fire them up and IF it's struck down? Anyone's guess at what might happen via OWS...:eusa_whistle:

The president should NOT discuss pending cases before the USSC.

Always about right v left? Seriously?

Which side won in Sackett v EPA which was decided unanimously? If you had a brain you would know that the vast majority of Supreme Court cases are decided by 7 or more of the Justices agreeing because the issues are clear cut. Only a partisan hack would ever argue that the Supreme Court is always about right v left.

Funny how the wingnuts are the first to scream "Judicial Activism" when court decisions go against them, but when liberals use the term, suddenly the justices are being threatened.

Not try to influence the outcome as he shadedly did here.

I agree.

Wow, this thread is HILARIOUS. Are you people seriously trying to imply that Obama is doing something novel by chastening the court about "Judicial activism"?

Seriously?

Have you all suddenly developed a bad case of selective amnesia?

Wow, this thread is HILARIOUS. Are you people seriously trying to imply that Obama is doing something novel by chastening the court about "Judicial activism"?

Seriously?

It is usually conservatives that complain, not the President, ON A PENDING CASE.

Seriously?

I tell you what we can do when obama is kicked to the curb come Nov let's do away with those activist Justices. Is it a deal?

In many cases where the President's opinion may influence the decision, then yes he should not, but in this case where it is already well known that the President has a very strong opinion, it doesn't make much difference.

He could wait until the desicion was known...but would that make a difference?

It is the left who have been the judicial activists, rewriting the Constitution ever since the New Deal, but like everything else they try and twist it around and accuse their political opponents of doing what they're actually doing themselves, to try and trick the ignorant among us into thinking those rewriting our Constitution through the courts are in the mainstream while those protecting it are the extremists.

Examples please.

(**wink ** wink **)

Is that a serious question?

We can start with the most obvious, that being Roe v Wade.

That doesn't count, neither does them striking down abortion laws, because it is just different.

Forum List

Back