Is man a religious being?

Not a fan of Darwin I see. :lol:
That has nothing to do with Darwin or evolution.
Natural selection is hereditary and biological. Not a belief.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
It applies to everything about life. Including behaviors.

If there were no functional advantage religion would have disappeared long ago.
Using your logic, your god hard wired violence, greed and hate into us.
And again, natural selection isnt about beliefs. Try reading about it instead of arguing dumb shit and googling big words to appear like you arent a complete moron.
Maybe he did. It’s the human condition. You can’t have an up with a down or a right without a wrong.

The key here is do you see civilizations and societies which flourished by being evil? No. They all failed. That too is Darwinian.

Religion and belief in God has persisted.

Stop denying Darwin.
China
Yes, and for thousands of years if you didnt believe in someone's god you were killed.
Mac also made a good point.
But you ignore it because you are dishonest and infallible.
Grow up dingbat. And read a book FFS.
Don’t kid yourself, there have always been atheists.

You are arguing people practice religion out of self preservation. That makes no sense at all.

Man is hardwired to worship God. You are free to worship created things but in the end nothing will satisfy you but God.

Why else would you be discussing God?
I talk about GOP politics and politicians but I'm neither. Claiming you know what will satisfy me shows incredible arrogance, you should practice some humility and admit you don't know everything.
I know that you are free to pursue pleasure, fame, fortune and power and that in the end none of those things will satisfy you because you were made for more.

This isn’t a new belief. It’s been around for thousands of years.

Man is hardwired to worship God. You are free to worship created things but in the end nothing will satisfy you but God.

I talk about GOP politics and politicians but I'm neither. Claiming you know what will satisfy me shows incredible arrogance, you should practice some humility and admit you don't know everything.
I know that you are free to pursue pleasure, fame, fortune and power and that in the end none of those things will satisfy you because you were made for more.

Are we all the same? Maybe I WAS made to pursue pleasure, fame, fortune and power. You are either telling me what I was made for or telling God what he made me for. Either sounds quite arrogant to me.

So you don’t believe the overwhelming prevalence of religion throughout the history of mankind can be traced back to any sort of natural disposition?
Let me change my answer in this way: Yes I do. It's based on Man's natural curiosity. But not on some divine seed, if that's what you're asking.
Actually my point is that man’s undeniable affinity to believe in a higher power can only be attributed to hardwiring of some kind.

Curiosity doesn’t lead to organization. Order leads to organization. Usually along the lines of common interests.

All throughout nature we can see how nature orders itself. Such that this need for order must be hardwired into nature itself.
''of some kind'' = you have no idea about what you are talking about
I am talking about being made to worship God.

You are going to worship something one way or another. You can’t help but not to. You are literally hardwired for it.
....yes--that's what I'm talking about = you can't be hardwired to worship something that is not real
....give examples please of worshipping '' something''

Are we all the same? Maybe I WAS made to pursue pleasure, fame, fortune and power. You are either telling me what I was made for or telling God what he made me for. Either sounds quite arrogant to me.
Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t.

The proof is always in the pudding.

My money is on that nothing but God will satisfy you. Time will tell.

So you don’t believe the overwhelming prevalence of religion throughout the history of mankind can be traced back to any sort of natural disposition?
Let me change my answer in this way: Yes I do. It's based on Man's natural curiosity. But not on some divine seed, if that's what you're asking.
Actually my point is that man’s undeniable affinity to believe in a higher power can only be attributed to hardwiring of some kind.

Curiosity doesn’t lead to organization. Order leads to organization. Usually along the lines of common interests.

All throughout nature we can see how nature orders itself. Such that this need for order must be hardwired into nature itself.

You are going to worship something one way or another. You can’t help but not to. You are literally hardwired for it.
....yes--that's what I'm talking about = you can't be hardwired to worship something that is not real
Examples? Sex, drugs, alcohol, money, yourself, etc.

sex/drugs/alcohol are PHYSICAL...sex is a need--[ no sex = no humans/etc ] --worship is not
...I could write all day about the TOTAL differences on these---no one is worshipping sex/etc
...your theory about worshipping is totally invalid--you have no arguments that are anywhere near reasonable
...your theory does not come close to the definition, either --you didn't even look up or know the definition......
wor·ship
/ˈwərSH
  1. the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.
    "the worship of God"

sex/drugs/alcohol are PHYSICAL...sex is a need--[ no sex = no humans/etc ] --worship is not
...I could write all day about the TOTAL differences on these---no one is worshipping sex/etc
...your theory about worshipping is totally invalid--you have no arguments that are anywhere near reasonable
...your theory does not come close to the definition, either --you didn't even look up or know the definition......
wor·ship
/ˈwərSH
  1. the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.
    "the worship of God"

Nope.

Worship is treating each act as a sacred act to give God thanks and praise.

You can know what you give thanks and praise to by what you do each day.

Catholics believe that The dignity of man rests above all on the fact that he is called to communion with God. This invitation to converse with God is addressed to man as soon as he comes into being. For if man exists it is because God has created him through love, and through love continues to hold him in existence. He cannot live fully according to truth unless he freely acknowledges that love and entrusts himself to his creator. Throughout history down to the present day, men have given expression to their quest for God in their religious beliefs and behavior: in their prayers, sacrifices, rituals, meditations, and so forth. These forms of religious expression, despite the ambiguities they often bring with them, are so universal that one may well call man a religious being

Yes, he worships something whether he realizes it or not, whether God, "evolution", a political belief or philosophy, a sport on TV, or something else entirely.

Catholics believe that The dignity of man rests above all on the fact that he is called to communion with God. This invitation to converse with God is addressed to man as soon as he comes into being. For if man exists it is because God has created him through love, and through love continues to hold him in existence. He cannot live fully according to truth unless he freely acknowledges that love and entrusts himself to his creator. Throughout history down to the present day, men have given expression to their quest for God in their religious beliefs and behavior: in their prayers, sacrifices, rituals, meditations, and so forth. These forms of religious expression, despite the ambiguities they often bring with them, are so universal that one may well call man a religious being

No.
I disagree.

Fine.

You have every right to be wrong.

No.
I disagree.

Fine.

Thank you.

No.
I disagree.

Fine.

Thank you.

You are welcome.

The question is like asking: Is man a bipedal being?

The answer will depend of "what" in specific.

Apparently, and by common error, of course, the thoughts are that humans are bipedal my nature. This is to say, the vertebrae column is formed for this position of moving using solely the legs, and etc.

However, the truth is that we walk with our two legs because we imitate other humans, not because by nature we are born with such characteristic of locomotion.

It has been observed that children adopted by animals -like the case of girls by wolves- that these children never tried to walk with two legs but they imitate the "parents" and walked with our four extremities.

6 cases of children being raised by animals

6. Raised by wolves
One of the most well-documented cases of children raised by wild animals is that of Kamala and Amala, better known as the "wolf children." Discovered in 1920 in the jungles of Godamuri, India, the girls, aged 3 and about 8, had been living with a she-wolf and her pack. It's not known if the girls were from the same family, but the man who found the girls, Reverend J.A.L. Singh, took them back to his orphanage, where he tried to get them accustomed to their human surroundings. While the girls made some progress over the years, both eventually came down with fatal illnesses, leaving the reverend to wonder "if the right thing to do would have been to leave these children in the wild where I found them."

You walk with your legs only, because when you were a child your parents took one of your hands each, and taught you how to walk this way. Otherwise you should be using your four extremities for going from one place to another as the main way to do it.

Currently, the mischievous and corrupt side of society knows about it, and they know that taking away "religion" from the mind of people, they can easily introduce their way of life in society, this is to say, looking as normal what is abnormal (homosexuality, lesbianism, etc).

Religion beliefs are passed from generation to generation, and what it seems it's happening, is that in some place of our brains, there is a space which is triggered when religion doctrines are heard by the individual.

The apostles knew about it, this is why they said that faith comes by hearing the Word of God.

Romans 10:7

“So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

I don't think man is a religious being naturally.

But I think it's natural for humans to be curious and wonder how the hell we got here. Religion has always provided humans with answers to that, but much more as well: Comfort, guidance, answers, strength, inspiration. Not to mention the obvious negative things it has provided some, such as control, cover and excuses. And then, of course, many are raised in it and have a deep-seeded attachment to it.

We've created, nurtured and maintained over 2,500 gods since we've been here, as I understand it. There will always be strong demand for the positive benefits of religion I listed above, so there will always be belief in gods.

Bilking the easily swayed, ignorant, and those with low self-esteem is the only positive ($1.2T) of religion.

Apparently, and by common error, of course, the thoughts are that humans are bipedal my nature. This is to say, the vertebrae column is formed for this position of moving using solely the legs, and etc.

However, the truth is that we walk with our two legs because we imitate other humans, not because by nature we are born with such characteristic of locomotion.

It has been observed that children adopted by animals -like the case of girls by wolves- that these children never tried to walk with two legs but they imitate the "parents" and walked with our four extremities.

6. Raised by wolves
One of the most well-documented cases of children raised by wild animals is that of Kamala and Amala, better known as the "wolf children." Discovered in 1920 in the jungles of Godamuri, India, the girls, aged 3 and about 8, had been living with a she-wolf and her pack. It's not known if the girls were from the same family, but the man who found the girls, Reverend J.A.L. Singh, took them back to his orphanage, where he tried to get them accustomed to their human surroundings. While the girls made some progress over the years, both eventually came down with fatal illnesses, leaving the reverend to wonder "if the right thing to do would have been to leave these children in the wild where I found them."

You walk with your legs only, because when you were a child your parents took one of your hands each, and taught you how to walk this way. Otherwise you should be using your four extremities for going from one place to another as the main way to do it.

Currently, the mischievous and corrupt side of society knows about it, and they know that taking away "religion" from the mind of people, they can easily introduce their way of life in society, this is to say, looking as normal what is abnormal (homosexuality, lesbianism, etc).

Religion beliefs are passed from generation to generation, and what it seems it's happening, is that in some place of our brains, there is a space which is triggered when religion doctrines are heard by the individual.

The apostles knew about it, this is why they said that faith comes by hearing the Word of God.

I believe that faith comes from hearing the call from God.

That language is written into our mind, body and soul.

It is a human nature to take care of our own future. That's why in another thread it is mentioned about the pension plan, money-wise how to prepare for the future. The point left is how far away we should prepare such a future. If you have FAITH that life ends along with our physical death, then preparing your pension is good enough. However even today's science won't confirm that whether life will go on beyond that point (yeah atheists have faith the science already said so if it doesn't say the opposite, which however remains their own faith). Theists are more ready in preparing a further future.

The point is, humans can't confirm a future as it's out of human capability to tell a future occurrence. We thus have to assume a point up to which our human nature can work on preparing such a future. The options are we can religiously assume that this is the point of our physical death, or religious assume that it goes beyond that point. Either way, humans are religious (whether they realize so or not).

That said, it's also natural to assume the existence of a God. Humans can't possibly reach a future (an exception is science which can predict a repeatable pattern), the only way left for humans to possibly reach a future is through a God who knows. All left then is to seek for whether this God actually exists, and/or who He is if more than one religions exist. You don't need a God only under the faith-based religious assumption that life ends at the point of our physical death.

Last edited:

6. Raised by wolves

Spiritual apprehension?

6. Raised by wolves

Spiritual apprehension?
Not at all.

Why do you ask?

Forum List

Back