Is law school worth it?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
As I finish up law school (graduating in Jan 2010) and look towards a life outside of sales (its all I really know, besides some minor jobs in law) I am now thinking to myself was it worth it. It was hard work, but I knew that coming in. I didn't have undergrad student loans(thanks dad), but I have killer student loans now. The loans are well over $100K (I don't want to say how much because I might cry)! :( Its going to be like a second mortgage. It was sick how much they raised tuition in such a short time period! It was highway robbery!

With sales job I make in a bad year (like this year) $60-65K; in a moderately good year I make $80K and my best year I have made $140K (some of the best months of my life)! I go to a good school its not Northwestern Level, but its still highly regarded. I am close (but not in :( ) the top 25% of my class. Nevertheless jobs in law are few and far between and it looks now I would probably going to make less in law (at least starting out) than in sales!

Hope its worth it, because the rewards don't look as sweet as they did 4 1/2 years ago when signed up for this gig!

NOTE: If Obama comes out with a plan to help me with my student loans, then I will official become part of Obamalama Fan Club! Hell if Pelosi came out with a program I might worship her! :eek: Sorry but I will sell out for that cause!

You would make less starting out, but if you can hang in there a few years you'll be raking it in.
As far as whether it's worth it in other ways, I'm the wrong person to be answering that question. :lol:

Why should the federal government subsidize your loans? If the law is not a passion for you, you will be empty inside, no matter what amount of money you make.

Why should the federal government subsidize your loans? If the law is not a passion for you, you will be empty inside, no matter what amount of money you make.

I was joking jeezzz! Law is a passion for me, but don't forget I'm Jewish so is MONEY!!!

Not to mention I have 3 little buggers to feed, so a reduction in income and gigantic increase in expenses is NOT something I look forward to! :eek:

Last edited:

I was joking jeezzz! Law is a passion for me, but don't forget I'm Jewish so so is MONEY!!!

Not to mention I have 3 little buggers to feed, so a reduction in income and gigantic increase in expenses is NOT something I look forward to! :eek:

Put the big people wannabes on rations. Tell them everyone needs to sacrifice.

My point exactly.
And loving the law and loving the practice of it are also two very different things.

It's a little late to ask if law school was worth it. But you'll do fine. Find an area of practice you like and go for it.

even if you make a little less to begin with, it won't be for long.

good luck

I was joking jeezzz! Law is a passion for me, but don't forget I'm Jewish so so is MONEY!!!

:rofl:
You need to have kids. Want to rent a couple for a week or two? I might know of a pair that could give you a real eye-opener. :D

You need to have kids. Want to rent a couple for a week or two? I might know of a pair that could give you a real eye-opener. :D

Hmm. Big people wannabes in my care, custody, and control. :eusa_think: I need to ruminate over that scenario. :lol: A verbal contract would not do, in an arrangement like that. :eusa_whistle:

Is law school worth it?

This is actually a question Ive been asking myself as well, of course from a different perspective than you. I just graduated college this past spring and have had to settle for part time jobs as a bank teller for Wachovia and cashier for Best Buy. Needless to say I am unimpressed by my career prospects as of right now.

I just took the LSAT on Sept 26, which left me feeling retarted, so ill know more on the reality of my situation come October 19. I'll probably be able to get a scholarship for near the full cost tutition to a Tier 3 law school here is Virginia and will be pretty competitive in admissions process at schools such as University of Richmond and maybe George Mason.

Hmm. Big people wannabes in my care, custody, and control. :eusa_think: I need to ruminate over that scenario. :lol: A verbal contract would not do, in an arrangement like that. :eusa_whistle:

Nah, it would have to be at LEAST a handshake. :D
But it might be worth it to see what happens when you try to put them on "rations". :rofl:

sure you can make money...does your state have a car "lemon" law....a friend of mine did this...everyone made fun of him..till he got over an 11 million dollar settlement...and he got 1/3 rd of it...

go into simple law...get people out of everyday troubles....speeding tickets...small drug busts..you need to specialize....

i dont know if i would hire your sorry ass....would depend on your rates...

but we got this guy here...if you are in trouble...you pay him...major bucks but your dwi...etc will go away.

As I finish up law school (graduating in Jan 2010) and look towards a life outside of sales (its all I really know, besides some minor jobs in law) I am now thinking to myself was it worth it. It was hard work, but I knew that coming in. I didn't have undergrad student loans(thanks dad), but I have killer student loans now. The loans are well over $100K (I don't want to say how much because I might cry)! :( Its going to be like a second mortgage. It was sick how much they raised tuition in such a short time period! It was highway robbery!

With sales job I make in a bad year (like this year) $60-65K; in a moderately good year I make $80K and my best year I have made $140K (some of the best months of my life)! I go to a good school its not Northwestern Level, but its still highly regarded. I am close (but not in :( ) the top 25% of my class. Nevertheless jobs in law are few and far between and it looks now I would probably going to make less in law (at least starting out) than in sales!

Hope its worth it, because the rewards don't look as sweet as they did 4 1/2 years ago when signed up for this gig!

NOTE: If Obama comes out with a plan to help me with my student loans, then I will official become part of Obamalama Fan Club! Hell if Pelosi came out with a program I might worship her! :eek: Sorry but I will sell out for that cause!

Awww Good for you for getting through law school!! And with sales experience, you could have a lot of rainmaker potential. The way to make money is by bringing in business.. You know how to do that!

Don't second guess yourself NOW!! =) You have come TOO FAR to question your skills and income potential..

Besides, once you have a few years of experience (and probably more debt of course) under your belt- you will be making it big, and FAST!

Law School was DEFINITELY worth it. Keep your chin up.. =) :clap2:

LOL, I wholeheartedly agree withat I have 3 kids. I (well my wife) had all of them while I was in school. I have a 3, 1 and a few weeks old! Although my wife (and mother-in-law) take the brunt of it, if I had to choose between work, internship + school vs raising the 3 little one, I would gladly take the later.

I give GOOD and PATIENT mothers mad respect. Just don't tell my wife that its a secret!

Last edited:

May I offer some career advice? Look into a career in law enforcement, one which offers early retirement (3% @ 50 is what I received, plus health insurance for life). There are local, state and federal agencies many of which offer this benefit. Salaries at the Supervisor level and above are all (at least here in California) above $100,000 per year.
If your fit, pass the extensive background investigaton and meet the physical, mental and psychological standards (only 4 in 100 do) you won't be sorry.

NOTE: If Obama comes out with a plan to help me with my student loans, then I will official become part of Oba***ama Fan Club! Hell if Pelosi came out with a program I might worship her! :eek: Sorry but I will sell out for that cause!

May I offer some career advice? Look into a career in law enforcement, one which offers early retirement (3% @ 50 is what I received, plus health insurance for life). There are local, state and federal agencies many of which offer this benefit. Salaries at the Supervisor level and above are all (at least here in California) above $100,000 per year.
If your fit, pass the extensive background investigaton and meet the physical, mental and psychological standards (only 4 in 100 do) you won't be sorry.

Yep. That's just what California needs - more LEOs in it for the wrong reasons.

point of order: It's "you're", not "your" fit.

Oh and what is an 'investigaton'? Is that a really heavy investiga?

Word of advice - if you are going to highlight typos in others' posts, it would be advisable to ensure your own are error-free. Doncha think?

Shall we continue to highlight the odd typo in each other's posts or shall we drop the pathetic childishness and focus on issues?

NOTE: If Obama comes out with a plan to help me with my student loans, then I will official become part of Oba***ama Fan Club! Hell if Pelosi came out with a program I might worship her! :eek: Sorry but I will sell out for that cause!

Yep. That's just what California needs - more LEOs in it for the wrong reasons.

point of order: It's "you're", not "your" fit.

Oh and what is an 'investigaton'? Is that a really heavy investiga?

Word of advice - if you are going to highlight typos in others' posts, it would be advisable to ensure your own are error-free. Doncha think?

Shall we continue to highlight the odd typo in each other's posts or shall we drop the pathetic childishness and focus on issues?

You asshat- why are you coming into a thread just to troll? PS- its others' - not other's..

Forum List

Back