Is it really free will, If you only have one option?

The religious concept of “free will” is best analyzed in the framework of motivational psychology.
If your behavior is reflexive, then obviously there’s no “freedom” of thought; no thought involved.

If you see a bear running toward you in an open field, you run! No time for much thought.
However, if you have a gun & time to use it, then you may have another option.
If you’re near a tree you can climb, then maybe you have another option, but NOT MUCH TIME for thought!

If you have TIME & multiple OPTIONS, then you can use your CONSCIOUSNESS to compare options agsinst your MOTIVES (short & long-term), and make a decision or two.
That’s why we have CONSCIOSNESS in our brain. We/animals have a BRAIN for quick MOVEMENT, unlike the plant world.

On the other extreme, if we have too many options, then we may just give up thinking and “simply” pick one & get on with it ...
:)

The religious concept of “free will” is best analyzed in the framework of motivational psychology.
If your behavior is reflexive, then obviously there’s no “freedom” of thought; no thought involved.

If you see a bear running toward you in an open field, you run! No time for much thought.
However, if you have a gun & time to use it, then you may have another option.
If you’re near a tree you can climb, then maybe you have another option, but NOT MUCH TIME for thought!

If you have TIME & multiple OPTIONS, then you can use your CONSCIOUSNESS to compare options agsinst your MOTIVES (short & long-term), and make a decision or two.
That’s why we have CONSCIOSNESS in our brain. We/animals have a BRAIN for quick MOVEMENT, unlike the plant world.

On the other extreme, if we have too many options, then we may just give up thinking and “simply” pick one & get on with it ...
:)

The OP gave no options. Therefore, I offered none in return. Please stick with the OP.

Wise guy, eh?
This thread has a title:

The OP is OBVIOUSLY referring to it.

Wise guy, eh?
This thread has a title:

The OP is OBVIOUSLY referring to it.

And I chose the only option he really listed which was none. Yah, I know, I can sit on a lifesaver and tell what flavor it is 9 out of 10 times.

"Free will", as we have generally come to describe it, is an illusion anyway.
How so?
You are not really the conscious agent of your behavior or choices. They are made before you are aware you have made them.

Read up on it. Interesting stuff.
I have read up on it. First of all a choice is being made. The argument is that it is an unconscious choice, right? Are you conscious of the outcome?

The argument is that it is an unconscious choice
No, that's a fact, not an argument. Every study shows the same thing.

Yes, you are aware of the consequences and the choice. "I chose _____." Still accurate.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back