Is it racist to laugh on the inside when...

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
...you witness behavior consistent with a harmless, yet racial stereotype?

True story:

I was just getting some coffee in the kitchen and there was a black woman in there who works here (probably in her early 50's). She's a very nice lady, good at her job and quite friendly, so I have nothing bad to say about her. But as I was getting my coffee I thought I smelled fruit punch. I turned to look and sure enough, she was mixing up a single glass of kool-aid. I almost laughed out loud but managed to contain myself. But I definitely cracked up on the inside. Is that racist?

You were amused at witnessing stereotypical behavior. Nothin' wrong with that. There's a lot of humor in life, for whatever reason. Relax and quit beating yourself up. :D

...you witness behavior consistent with a harmless, yet racial stereotype?

True story:

I was just getting some coffee in the kitchen and there was a black woman in there who works here (probably in her early 50's). She's a very nice lady, good at her job and quite friendly, so I have nothing bad to say about her. But as I was getting my coffee I thought I smelled fruit punch. I turned to look and sure enough, she was mixing up a single glass of kool-aid. I almost laughed out loud but managed to contain myself. But I definitely cracked up on the inside. Is that racist?

Didn't you get the memo? Everything is racist these days if you're white. Fortunately, I'm only half white so by definition I can't be racist. :lol:

BTW, emotionally stable people laugh at things that others might call racist. The people who can't laugh deserve our pity.

• Banned

because it isn't just blacks who drink koolaid or fruit punch.

hint:the above applies to fried chicken and watermelon. :thup:

It isn't just blacks who eat fried chicken and watermelon either.

fail :thup:

PS: I'm surprised to see del ascribing intellectual value to what tickles a person's funny bone. I would've thought that beneath him. :dunno:

But as I was getting my coffee I thought I smelled fruit punch. I turned to look and sure enough, she was mixing up a single glass of kool-aid. I almost laughed out loud but managed to contain myself. But I definitely cracked up on the inside. Is that racist?
Was it "Purple Drank"?

Purple_Drank_Ima_Grip_And_Sip-front-large.jpg

For those who don't know "Purple Drank" is purple Kool-Aid with Codeine. Ask yer' kids about it! :lol:

PS: I'm surprised to see del ascribing intellectual value to what tickles a person's funny bone. I would've thought that beneath him. :dunno:

nothing is beneath me. you may want to write that down.

i have.

I honestly never knew that drinking koolaid was supposed to be stereotypical of blacks.

The things you learn on the internets.

nothing is beneath me. you may want to write that down.

i have.

Well played sir. :clap2:

You win this one, but I'll be back I assure you. ;)

I honestly never knew that drinking koolaid was supposed to be stereotypical of blacks.

I don't know that anything is 'supposed' to be stereotypical. That's not really how stereotypes work. All I can say about this one is that it's been around for a long time and I didn't make it up.

Even though it cracked me up when I saw her mixing the kool-aid, upon further reflection my opinion of her is higher now than before. I'm going to assume that she knows about the stereotype, but the fact that she clearly doesn't give a shit about what I or anyone else thinks about it reflects well on her character IMO. So what if she likes kool-aid. And so what if I got a bit of a chuckle out of it.

Forum List

Back