Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

You have continued to say you can prove things, but I would not accept them. I have stated my reasons for believing certain things numerus times, and yet you refuse to accept them. Hypocrisy?

I have stated why I believe the way I do. Nothing you have said provides any valid reason for me to change that.
Actually you haven’t.

Yes, I have. I have stated that it was my life experiences and my study. The fact that I have not described those life experiences in detail does not change that.
Actually it does. You can make up anything you want without examination.

Since I am talking about my beliefs it does not change anything. That you do not accept my statements does not change my beliefs. YOur denigration and condemnation of my beliefs does not change them either. Even having your own personal definition of "atheist" does not change my beliefs.

But, since you cannot accept the beliefs of another person, based on their own statements, I don't see any purpose in continuing.
But you aren’t a materialist and that’s all that matters. I know you can’t be a materialist because you said so even though you have literally no rational basis for believing it.

And beliefs require a rational basis? In order for you to claim that I am a materialist, you have to ignore what I have said about not believing in god or what I have said about believing in the incorporeal that does not originate in the corporeal. Do you not see what an egotistical or audacious move it is to try to argue that someone does not believe what they say they believe?

Only to someone who insists his definition of "atheist" is superior to that of the Oxford English dictionary and Merriam-Webster.

The only definition I have seen by those two (the best and most accepted dictionaries for the English language) is someone who does not believe in god. Nothing I have said I believe in requires a god in order to exist.

So you are literally making up your argument.
Atheists don’t believe in spirits.

I did not say I believed in spirits. Although, the accepted definition from the two best dictionaries in the English language only mention god. And do not mention spirits at all.
God is spirit. Does the logic escape you that if atheists believed in spirit they would have to accept the possibility of God?

And does it occur to you that I have not used the word "spirit" in my descriptions of things?
Which is how I know you are a materialist.

As I have said, over and over, the word "spirit" infers sentience. I have no reason to believe all incorporeal things are sentient.

You have continued to say you can prove things, but I would not accept them. I have stated my reasons for believing certain things numerus times, and yet you refuse to accept them. Hypocrisy?

I have stated why I believe the way I do. Nothing you have said provides any valid reason for me to change that.
Actually you haven’t.

Yes, I have. I have stated that it was my life experiences and my study. The fact that I have not described those life experiences in detail does not change that.

My beliefs are my beliefs. There is no need to delve into my personal experiences, most of which are not for public consumption. You will simply have to be satisfied with my statements of what I believe.
Which make no sense. You have thrown together a strawman whose only purpose is to deny materialism without accepting spirituality.

Thrown together a strawman? So you think I do not actually believe what I say I believe?

Since I am talking about my beliefs it does not change anything. That you do not accept my statements does not change my beliefs. YOur denigration and condemnation of my beliefs does not change them either. Even having your own personal definition of "atheist" does not change my beliefs.

But, since you cannot accept the beliefs of another person, based on their own statements, I don't see any purpose in continuing.
But you aren’t a materialist and that’s all that matters. I know you can’t be a materialist because you said so even though you have literally no rational basis for believing it.

Does a materialist believe that there are incorporeal things that did not originate from the corporeal?
Yes, when he denies they are spirit or soul or life force or sentient.

Oh, so now you adjust the definition to fit what you want, in order to tell me what I believe? lol Too funny.

Actually you haven’t.

And beliefs require a rational basis? In order for you to claim that I am a materialist, you have to ignore what I have said about not believing in god or what I have said about believing in the incorporeal that does not originate in the corporeal. Do you not see what an egotistical or audacious move it is to try to argue that someone does not believe what they say they believe?
No. Actually I don't have to do any of those things. That's what is called a red herring.

You are hiding behind the definition of atheism and ignoring the intent. Atheism is not limited to no belief in God, atheism doesn't believe in any spirits whatsoever. Atheism is limited to beliefs in the natural world, your definition be damned.

Furthermore, you know full well that atheism is not just limited to not believing in the existence of God because you have carefully constructed your bullshit beliefs in the intangible that did not originate from the material world to not be sentient. Everything about your belief is cloaked in secrecy and irrationality.

No. Actually I don't have to do any of those things. That's what is called a red herring.

You are hiding behind the definition of atheism and ignoring the intent. Atheism is not limited to no belief in God, atheism doesn't believe in any spirits whatsoever. Atheism is limited to beliefs in the natural world, your definition be damned.

Furthermore, you know full well that atheism is not just limited to not believing in the existence of God because you have carefully constructed your bullshit beliefs in the intangible that did not originate from the material world to be sentient. Everything about your belief is cloaked in secrecy as well.

What? So you are saying that Merriam-Webster and the Oxford English dictionaries are lying, and you know better? lol

I do not put much of my private life out for public consumption. Especially for someone who has lied, misquoted and attempted to twist my words to somehow show he knows better what I believe.

I believe there are incorporeal things, intangibles if you will, in the universe. I accept them. I do not believe in god. That is the full extent of what I have said. And somehow, in your audacity, you think you KNOW what I believe??

lol How funny.

Atheists don’t believe in spirits.

I did not say I believed in spirits. Although, the accepted definition from the two best dictionaries in the English language only mention god. And do not mention spirits at all.
God is spirit. Does the logic escape you that if atheists believed in spirit they would have to accept the possibility of God?

And does it occur to you that I have not used the word "spirit" in my descriptions of things?

As I have said, over and over, the word "spirit" infers sentience. I have no reason to believe all incorporeal things are sentient.
You have no reason not to believe whatever presence you perceived isn't sentient.

Actually you haven’t.

My beliefs are my beliefs. There is no need to delve into my personal experiences, most of which are not for public consumption. You will simply have to be satisfied with my statements of what I believe.
Which make no sense. You have thrown together a strawman whose only purpose is to deny materialism without accepting spirituality.

Thrown together a strawman? So you think I do not actually believe what I say I believe?
I believe you have constructed it as to not offend your delicate atheist sensibilities.

That or you constructed it so as to not face the reality of your materialism.

So, yes.

You have no reason not to believe whatever presence you perceived isn't sentient.

I have no reason believe they are sentient. I do not attribute characteristics to things without some evidence. Crediting something as being sentient, when you have no evidence that it is would be ridiculous.

Does a materialist believe that there are incorporeal things that did not originate from the corporeal?

Oh, so now you adjust the definition to fit what you want, in order to tell me what I believe? lol Too funny.
There is no other way to describe what you have described other than what I have listed. And since you are unwilling to share the experience which led to your belief I have no other options available.

I believe you have constructed it as to not offend your delicate atheist sensibilities.

So, yes.

My beliefs are not complex. But now you are calling me a liar. I have not lied. Whereas, I have shown that you have lied in these threads.

Furthermore, you know full well that atheism is not just limited to not believing in the existence of God because you have carefully constructed your bullshit beliefs in the intangible that did not originate from the material world to be sentient. Everything about your belief is cloaked in secrecy as well.

What? So you are saying that Merriam-Webster and the Oxford English dictionaries are lying, and you know better? lol

I do not put much of my private life out for public consumption. Especially for someone who has lied, misquoted and attempted to twist my words to somehow show he knows better what I believe.

I believe there are incorporeal things, intangibles if you will, in the universe. I accept them. I do not believe in god. That is the full extent of what I have said. And somehow, in your audacity, you think you KNOW what I believe??

lol How funny.
There absolutely are intangibles in the universe which proceed from the material world. Absent any other information that is must be what you are describing. That still makes you a materialist though.

There is no other way to describe what you have described other than what I have listed. And since you are unwilling to share the experience which led to your belief I have no other options available.

Actually, you do have another option. If you have spent time talking to someone, and they have not lied, you can assume they are telling the truth and modify your theory or claim accordingly.

Rather than insist that I am lying, would it not be simpler to just say "most atheists are materialists"? Or even "many atheists are materialists"? Must you attempt to tear someone down to avoid modifying a blanket statement?

So, yes.

My beliefs are not complex. But now you are calling me a liar. I have not lied. Whereas, I have shown that you have lied in these threads.
I actually think you believe your lies, so technically you aren't lying. The human mind cannot live in conflict.

lol How funny.
There absolutely are intangibles in the universe which proceed from the material world. Absent any other information that is must be what you are describing. That still makes you a materialist though.

Once again, that would require my making an assumption based on facts not in evidence.

Actually, you do have another option. If you have spent time talking to someone, and they have not lied, you can assume they are telling the truth and modify your theory or claim accordingly.

Rather than insist that I am lying, would it not be simpler to just say "most atheists are materialists"? Or even "many atheists are materialists"? Must you attempt to tear someone down to avoid modifying a blanket statement?
I'm not tearing you down. Why do you think being called a materialist is a bad thing? Is it something you should be ashamed of?

So, yes.

I actually think you believe your lies, so technically you aren't lying. The human mind cannot live in conflict.

LMAO!! Well thank all the gods that you are here to save me. lol

My mind is not in conflict. It would only be in conflict if I did not believe in god, and believed that all the incorporeal things originated from god. I don't, so I am safe and my mind is doing quite well.

lol How funny.

Once again, that would require my making an assumption based on facts not in evidence.
That's all you have been doing anyway. You don't know what you believe. You are assuming that.

I'm not tearing you down. Why do you think being called a materialist is a bad thing? Is it something you should be ashamed of?

I don't think being called a materialist is bad. I think being told my beliefs are wrong, or that I am wrong for believing them are bad things. I think someone telling me what I think or believe is about as egotistical a maneuver as is possible.

So, yes.

LMAO!! Well thank all the gods that you are here to save me. lol

My mind is not in conflict. It would only be in conflict if I did not believe in god, and believed that all the incorporeal things originated from god. I don't, so I am safe and my mind is doing quite well.
No, that would be logical as it is one of the two boundary conditions. Arguing that there are no spirits and that everything came from the material world would be logical as well. You are trying to argue the existence of both which is illogical.

Forum List

Back