Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

We crave and cling to impermanent states and things which are incapable of satisfying us.

I don't doubt you crave those things. But you frankly have no idea what I crave or cling to.
What else is there? If you believe everything was created by the material world then those feelings you get are nothing more than electrochemical responses in your brain.

Sorry to disappoint you. I have a degree in Secondary Ed/Comprehensive Sciences.
And did not know the universe was perfectly ordered before it began to expand and cool, right?

What is really, really amusing is that both religion and atheism existed before modern science.

You don't need to know about red shift to believe in your tales about a fairy in the sky who controls everything.

You don't need to know about red shift to not believe about a fairy in the sky.

But what we don't know is what your obsession with atheists is all about.
What is it about atheists that intrude into your religion fantasy world?
That they seek to subordinate religion.

You are free to pursue pleasure, fame, fortune, and power but the reality is that none of those things will satisfy you because you were made for more.

The fact that atheists believe in the middle ground is proof of that. They are literally repulsed by the logical conclusion of materialism because they were made for more.

When have I tried to 'subordinate religion'?

What 'middle ground' do I believe in?

Where is the evidence that I am 'literally repulsed by the logical conclusion of materialism'- whtever the hell that means?

Maybe if you devoted more time to your God or Gods- rather than obsessing about what others don't believe in- you might find some sort of personal enlightenment.
When haven’t you?

Do you have any examples of Syriusly attempting to subordinate religion?

We crave and cling to impermanent states and things which are incapable of satisfying us.

I don't doubt you crave those things. But you frankly have no idea what I crave or cling to.
What else is there? If you believe everything was created by the material world then those feelings you get are nothing more than electrochemical responses in your brain.

Do you believe that impermanent things are never capable of satisfying us?

And did not know the universe was perfectly ordered before it began to expand and cool, right?

What is really, really amusing is that both religion and atheism existed before modern science.

You don't need to know about red shift to believe in your tales about a fairy in the sky who controls everything.

You are free to pursue pleasure, fame, fortune, and power but the reality is that none of those things will satisfy you because you were made for more.

The fact that atheists believe in the middle ground is proof of that. They are literally repulsed by the logical conclusion of materialism because they were made for more.

Where is the evidence that I am 'literally repulsed by the logical conclusion of materialism'- whtever the hell that means?

Maybe if you devoted more time to your God or Gods- rather than obsessing about what others don't believe in- you might find some sort of personal enlightenment.
When haven’t you?

I’ve seen her do it many times.

Yes.

When haven’t you?

Not what I asked.

Yes.

Then, at least in the case of my life, you are wrong.

Raising children is an impermanent state. But it was very satisfying, and still is. At least to a degree.

If it were true that man’s existence were only to seek pleasure he would not be born to die. Since our bodies are doomed to die, our task on earth must be of a more spiritual nature. It cannot be unrestrained enjoyment of everyday life. It cannot be the search for the best ways to obtain material goods and then cheerfully get the most of them. It has to be the fulfillment of a permanent, earnest duty so that one's life journey may become an experience of moral growth, so that one may leave life a better human being than one started it.

Yes.

Raising children is an impermanent state. But it was very satisfying, and still is. At least to a degree.
Not exactly what I was talking about, Karl.

When haven’t you?

Not what I asked.
Tough.

Yes.

And yet, it fits your statement.

If it were true that man’s existence were only to seek pleasure he would not be born to die. Since our bodies are doomed to die, our task on earth must be of a more spiritual nature. It cannot be unrestrained enjoyment of everyday life. It cannot be the search for the best ways to obtain material goods and then cheerfully get the most of them. It has to be the fulfillment of a permanent, earnest duty so that one's life journey may become an experience of moral growth, so that one may leave life a better human being than one started it.

The pleasure I received from raising children was life changing. And the work I did at that not only leaves me a better person, it leaves the world a better place when I am gone.

Yes.

Actually it doesn’t. You are just too biased to see it.

The pleasure I received from raising children was life changing. And the work I did at that not only leaves me a better person, it leaves the world a better place when I am gone.
That sounds like a spiritualist.

Yes.

I see a great deal of satisfaction in my work at raising great kids into wonderful people. Now you are trying to say what satisfies me?

Only because of your bias. Nothing I said is remotely spiritual in nature.

I see a great deal of satisfaction in my work at raising great kids into wonderful people. Now you are trying to say what satisfies me?
I am saying that you still aren’t arguing against what I wrote.

Sure it is. You’ve just rationalized it isn’t.

You rail against being a materialist and you rail against being a spiritualist.

You are a confusedist.

I am saying that you still aren’t arguing against what I wrote.

I discussed something that was very satisfying. And, it is impermanent.

Sure it is. You’ve just rationalized it isn’t.

You rail against being a materialist and you rail against being a spiritualist.

You are a confusedist.

I rail against inaccurate depictions of what I am or what I believe.

How is what I said spiritual? I discussed what I did and the effect it will have after I am gone.

Forum List

Back