Is it just me or is the world a lot nuttier lately?

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
I can remember when I would be standing in line at the grocery checkout and kibitzing and giggling with others over the ridiculous headlines on the "National Enquiror" and similar tabloids. Some of the bizarre teasers were almost enough to persuade one to buy the newspaper.

So I check in to see what's cooking at Drudge today and see the following links one after the other in rapid succession:

Can Kansas save the American economy?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peru battles rabid vampire bats after 500 people bitten...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psychic finds wrong corpse...
Don't Drink and Drive: You Might Get Life in Prison!
Swede faces world-record $1 million speeding penalty...
Sheryl Crow demands 'recycled toilet paper' at concerts...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would expect headlines like this on National Enquiror, not on a respectable news collection site like Drudge.

Can it get any more wierd?

I think the Internet just allows the weirdness that has always been around to be exposed more now.

The world gets silly when you have half the people denying science and history

not on a respectable news collection site like Drudge.

:rofl:

For your edification Sir Modbert:
Five news outlets — "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer," ABC's "Good Morning America," CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown," Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and the Drudge Report — were in a statistical dead heat in the race for the most centrist news outlet. Of the print media, USA Today was the most centrist.

. . . .An additional feature of the (UCLA) study shows how each outlet compares in political orientation with actual lawmakers. The news pages of The Wall Street Journal scored a little to the left of the average American Democrat, as determined by the average ADA score of all Democrats in Congress (85 versus 84). With scores in the mid-70s, CBS' "Evening News" and The New York Times looked similar to Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., who has an ADA score of 74.

Most of the outlets were less liberal than Lieberman but more liberal than former Sen. John Breaux, D-La. Those media outlets included the Drudge Report, ABC's "World News Tonight," NBC's "Nightly News," USA Today, NBC's "Today Show," Time magazine, U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek, NPR's "Morning Edition," CBS' "Early Show" and The Washington Post.

I think the Internet just allows the weirdness that has always been around to be exposed more now.

You're probably right, but National Enquiror has been out there a lot longer than the internet has been widely used or probably longer than there has been an internet.

I know... There's still stupid fuckers who think Algore won in 2000...

Won what?

the most American votes, that is true.

The election in Florida if all the legal voters had been allowed to vote, that is true.

The election as it stood and the SCOTUS gave him , nope.

You are trying to rewrite the real history and ignoring all the science that shows the election was tampered with.

Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Now you want to tell us why creation should be taught along with science or how FDR caused the GD?

Hmm..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drudge_Report#Political_leanings

A 2005 study (see details) placed the Drudge Report "left of center".[47] The study was criticised by Mark Liberman[48][49] and liberal media watchdogs.[50] The authors stated that although "conventional wisdom" asserts that the Drudge Report is "relatively conservative", their methodology found it to be "centrist".[51] The authors placed Drudge Report in a dead heat with Fox News Special Report With Brit Hume, ABC's "Good Morning America", CNN's NewsNight With Aaron Brown" and "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer" as most centrist outlet. The study also noted that "...our data for the Drudge Report was based almost entirely on the articles that the Drudge Report lists on other Web sites... The fact that the Drudge Report appears left of center is merely a reflection of the overall bias of the media."[52]

Drudge started off as a gossip column, which is what the National Enquirer is and still acts like one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drudge_Report#Origins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drudge_Report#Alleged_Bill_Clinton_illegitimate_child

In 1999, the Drudge Report announced that it had viewed a videotape which was the basis of a Star Magazine and Hard Copy story. Under the headline, Woman Names Bill Clinton Father Of Son In Shocking Video Confession, Drudge reported a videotaped "confession" by a former prostitute who claimed that her son was fathered by Bill Clinton. The Report stated, "To accuse the most powerful man in the world of being the father of her son is either the hoax of a lifetime, or a personal turmoil that needs resolution. Only two people may know that answer tonight." The claim turned out to be a hoax.[81]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drudge_Report#Ashley_Todd_attack_hoax

On October 23, 2008, Drudge published an unconfirmed exclusive story regarding Ashley Todd, the 20-year old employee[87][88] of the College Republican National Committee (CRNC) and John McCain volunteer who had allegedly been attacked by a black male for having a McCain sticker on her car. Drudge reported the story without a link but as 'developing', titling the headline "SHOCK: McCAIN VOLUNTEER ATTACKED AND MUTILATED IN PITTSBURGH - "B" carved into 20 yr old Woman's Face".[89] The story set off a "storm of media attention",[87] being quickly picked up by many conservative bloggers and right-wing talk radio show hosts, all citing the Drudge Report as their source. It was also reported in newspapers and TV both in the US and around the world.[90] The story was confirmed to be a hoax perpetrated by Todd and, according to Talking Points Memo, spread to reporters by McCain's Pennsylvania Communications Director.[91][92]
Drudge then printed a retraction of the story, including links to the news stories detailing that the attack had been a hoax and that Ashley Todd had performed a similar 'attack' on herself while working for the Ron Paul campaign.

I know... There's still stupid fuckers who think Algore won in 2000...

Won what?

the most American votes, that is true.

The election in Florida if all the legal voters had been allowed to vote, that is true.

The election as it stood and the SCOTUS gave him , nope.

You are trying to rewrite the real history and ignoring all the science that shows the election was tampered with.

Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Now you want to tell us why creation should be taught along with science or how FDR caused the GD?

So wait...

Al Gore won the Majority and the elections where still tampered? Hmm.

Second, rewrite history? You're being vague, care to explain?

Then again, this is the person who said and I quote;

You see we are a democracy

Forum List

Back