CDZ Is it Christian to compare someone to Hitler?

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Given the state and nature of politics these days, it is no surprise that the Republican primaries--and their candidates--have created an immense divide and stirred up untold amounts of hatred. Hatred between people who generally agree with one another, who claim to espouse to Christian values. However, I've noticed some Christians on my Facebook feed, here on USMB, or in general--Democratic Christians, Republican Christians--referring to Trump as Hitler, or liking posts that refer to him as Hitler.

I don't care who you are or who you support. But I just want you ask to yourself, "Am I being Christian when I compare someone to a genocidal megalomaniac? Am I being Christian when I agree with someone who compares someone else to a genocidal maniac?" Hitler wiped out 6 million Jews. So what makes you think Trump would do the same thing to members of oh, say, Islam? Even as foul mouthed, brash, and bombastic as he is, I highly doubt he is capable of carrying out such an atrocity.

Look I'm not a perfect Christian myself. Far from it. And I would agree should you say I have no place levying criticism. However, you should understand that the church is not the only place you're supposed to be or act like a Christian. You don't walk out of the church doors on Sunday morning and stop being a Christian. Christ roamed the ancient world preaching the gospel witnessing to others as he went. He rarely preached inside of buildings. He was the personification of God's will wherever he went.

So, why not us? Why can't we go out into our world and personify what Christ wanted us to be instead of engaging in things that contradict his teachings?

I'll leave you with these two verses. Those who claim to be a Christian who compare a person with Hitler are Christian in name only:

"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. "

--James 1:26-27

"Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with a blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayers, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."

--1 Peter 3:8-12

"Am I being Christian when I (blank)" is a great question for socially conservative republicans to start asking themselves.

True, but what about liberals who call themselves Christian?
Sure why not?

There ya go!

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

I would say it is probably not a Christian thing to do. I think the Christian backlash to Trump manifests from very non Christian like behavior he has brought to the republican party. The last two or three debates make it very hard to believe the party is about Christian values at all.

is this thread really about christian values? is it christian to support a man who encourages racial hate? is it christian to mooch off people...the list of questionable christian values just goes on and on....

matthew 25:40
matthew 7: 1 to 3
matthew 6: 5 to 6

It is Christian to do unto others as one'd have them do unto oneself.

With that guiding one's actions, how hard can it be to tell what deeds are or are not Christian and one need not concern oneself with whether anyone else thinks the deeds be Christian or not.

There are so many things Christians do that are unChristian, this should be the least of their concerns.

You completely missed the point Clayton. Did you read my OP or did you just come here to bash Christians?

If the comparison is valid, it is speaking the truth. I have not seen anyone accuse Trump of murdering 6 million Jews. The comparison is of the campaigns and hostile atmosphere created by the rhetoric.

And yes, modern politics has gotten to a disgusting level of hostility. But that is from BOTH sides.

My direct answer to the OP/title question is not necessarily. Whether such a comparison is or is not consistent with Christian values depends on the context of the comparison. In the main, I think it quite difficult for a comparison of any sort, to Hitler or to anything else, to be un-Christian so long as the comparison is shown to be accurate. For example:
  • "So and so is like Hitler" --> empty assertion; therefore the comparison neither Christian-like nor un-Christian-like.
  • "So and so is like Hitler in that they both...." --> informative statement, provided the basis of comparison for the statement is objectively true of both "so and so" and Hitler; therefore the comparison is neither Christian-like nor un-Christian-like because it's a statement of fact. Christianity doesn't at its heart take exception with statements of fact. Rather, Christianity has difficulty distinguishing between what is objective fact and what may be objective fact, but that isn't established incontrovertibly as such.
  • "So and so is like Hitler in that they both 'whatever.' Such and such penalty should be exacted upon so and so as a consequence of the similarity between them and Hitler." --> The first statement may be fact, and if it is, it's no different than that of the preceding bullet point. The second statement, however, makes a judgement and acts on that judgement. That's headed toward being un-Christian-like for Christianity says "judge not lest ye be judged," and it says "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you." So, depending one one's willingness to endure a similar sort of judgement and punishment, even in a context having a different basis/point of comparison and judgment, that statement may or may not be Christian-like.

Given the state and nature of politics these days, it is no surprise that the Republican primaries--and their candidates--have created an immense divide and stirred up untold amounts of hatred. Hatred between people who generally agree with one another, who claim to espouse to Christian values. However, I've noticed some Christians on my Facebook feed, here on USMB, or in general--Democratic Christians, Republican Christians--referring to Trump as Hitler, or liking posts that refer to him as Hitler.

I don't care who you are or who you support. But I just want you ask to yourself, "Am I being Christian when I compare someone to a genocidal megalomaniac? Am I being Christian when I agree with someone who compares someone else to a genocidal maniac?" Hitler wiped out 6 million Jews. So what makes you think Trump would do the same thing to members of oh, say, Islam? Even as foul mouthed, brash, and bombastic as he is, I highly doubt he is capable of carrying out such an atrocity.

Look I'm not a perfect Christian myself. Far from it. And I would agree should you say I have no place levying criticism. However, you should understand that the church is not the only place you're supposed to be or act like a Christian. You don't walk out of the church doors on Sunday morning and stop being a Christian. Christ roamed the ancient world preaching the gospel witnessing to others as he went. He rarely preached inside of buildings. He was the personification of God's will wherever he went.

So, why not us? Why can't we go out into our world and personify what Christ wanted us to be instead of engaging in things that contradict his teachings?

I'll leave you with these two verses. Those who claim to be a Christian who compare a person with Hitler are Christian in name only:

"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. "

--James 1:26-27

"Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with a blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayers, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."

--1 Peter 3:8-12

It is not Christian like at all and I will God judge us before I pass judgment onto you for your sins because my sins are heavier than a feather and will never be judge lightly...

The religious question, "is it Christian..." is one I can't really answer. I can say that identifying Trump with Hitler is a rather poor, hysterical analogy. Analogy is a fairly weak form of analysis. Trump is no more like Hitler than the USA is like Germany in the 1930s.

There is some reason to consider the remote possiblity of President Trump and nuclear attack in the Middle East. We need to remember that the Commander-in-Chief has the authority to lauch a nuclear attack without approval from Congress, the courts or the military, who are unlikely to refuse to obey such a direct, legal order.

Trump has spoken of the need for a decisive, shock-and-awe attack on ISIS. He has also professed his attraction to the power of nuclear weapons. As with waterboarding and "beyond" he has made it clear that he sees no moral or ethical restraint on techniques in the war on terror. Nothing in his views is illegal or irrational, whether it is Christian or in some other way desireable is a matter of individual judgement.

US policy (not law) has been to foreswear nuclear attack unless so attacked first. Would President Trump agree to bind his administration to such a policy? It is a question worth asking him.

The religious question, "is it Christian..." is one I can't really answer. I can say that identifying Trump with Hitler is a rather poor, hysterical analogy. Analogy is a fairly weak form of analysis. Trump is no more like Hitler than the USA is like Germany in the 1930s.

There is some reason to consider the remote possiblity of President Trump and nuclear attack in the Middle East. We need to remember that the Commander-in-Chief has the authority to lauch a nuclear attack without approval from Congress, the courts or the military, who are unlikely to refuse to obey such a direct, legal order.

Trump has spoken of the need for a decisive, shock-and-awe attack on ISIS. He has also professed his attraction to the power of nuclear weapons. As with waterboarding and "beyond" he has made it clear that he sees no moral or ethical restraint on techniques in the war on terror. Nothing in his views is illegal or irrational, whether it is Christian or in some other way desireable is a matter of individual judgement.

US policy (not law) has been to foreswear nuclear attack unless so attacked first. Would President Trump agree to bind his administration to such a policy? It is a question worth asking him.

Red:
Well, therein is a fine illustration of a manifested weakening of an analogy. "Trump is no more like Hitler than the USA [of today] is no more like Germany in the 1930s" fails to address (1) the nature and extent to which the U.S. is like Germany of the 1930s, (2) the nature and extent to which the USA of today is not like Germany of the 1930, and (3 & 4) the same similarities and differences between the two men. Incomplete analogies are not "fairly weak," but rather entirely weak to the point of being invalid as analogies solely due to their incompleteness.

Blue:
Hang on there....torture is illegal. It's illegality, something of which Mr. Trump was ignorant, is why he's this past week recanted and revised his stance on the use of torture.

Green:
As for the irrationality of Mr. Trump's assertion (and not because it's he who made them) on torture, among other things...I don't know about you, but I think it irrational
  • to spout off about stuff that you don't understand well,
  • to aver that one will not step away from a stance one adopted while in a state of ignorance, willful or otherwise,
  • to be in that state of ignorance and bid others to join and follow one to action based on one's objectively wrong assumptions and premises (in this case that torture is among the options one/he may choose in managing the situations under discussion when Mr. Trump made his "torture" statements), and
  • to make no robust and timely effort to exist the state of ignorance and deign to be leader of the U.S.
I don't care who does that -- Mr. Trump, you, I, some clown I've never met or heard of, etc. -- doing it shows oneself as both irrational and bereft of integrity.

Forum List

Back