Is it Better for a President to be Liked or Respected by the International Community?

Is it Better for a President to be Liked or Respected by the International Community

• Total voters

Publius1787

Gold Member
Jan 11, 2011
Is it Better for a President to be Liked or Respected by the International Community?

"Returning to the question of being feared or loved, I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others; he must endeavour only to avoid hatred, as is noted."

-Nicolo Machiavelli-

If your liked by foreign countries they like you for a reason: Because they can push you around more than someone who is respected.

Last edited:
other - it does not matter.

all the presidents of the US which were good presidents for the US were disliked by the other countries and all our failures were liked very much. as is our current failure.

Are you are substituting the word "respected" for "feared"?

Fear is an element of respect. I'm sure it is not the only element.

Just asking because many feel the only way to get respect is with an ever present threat of military attack and overt hostility but I am not sure the resultant opinion by the rest of the world can be called respect in any way. Do you respect bullies that throw their weight around? I do not, I find them infantile and untrustworthy as I am extremely anti-authoritarian, perhaps you are different.

Just asking because many feel the only way to get respect is with an ever present threat of military attack and overt hostility but I am not sure the resultant opinion by the rest of the world can be called respect in any way. Do you respect bullies that throw their weight around? I do not, I find them infantile and untrustworthy as I am extremely anti-authoritarian, perhaps you are different.

The international community is full of "bullies." They do not hesitate to take advantage of those who wish to prove their good intentions through kowtowing. What would happen if we pulled our Navy out of the South China as a measure of good will toward the Asian community for example? Attempting to be liked leads to neither being liked nor respected.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JS4VZbCWj8&feature=related]Videographic: China's territorial claims - YouTube[/ame]

The Chinese don't like us, but they respect us!

Last edited by a moderator:
A combination of both people can like but if they don't respect you they will still walk over you and if your respected but not liked you will find people less likely to support in your goals.

I don't question your assertion that "a combination of both" is necessary. However, I am of the firm belief that aiming to be more liked than respected leads to neither. How far does this trend bend to an equal amount of both? That's debatable.

You mean like how the far left fear the Muslim extremists?

The international community is full of "bullies." They do not hesitate to take advantage of those who wish to prove their good intentions through kowtowing. What would happen if we pulled our Navy out of the South China as a measure of good will toward the Asian community for example? Attempting to be liked leads to neither being liked nor respected.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JS4VZbCWj8&feature=related]Videographic: China's territorial claims - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CDMSOGaRY]The South China Sea: Troubled Waters - YouTube[/ame]

I guess it's like always, conservatives see little value to diplomacy and feel it's appeasement. No one gives a damn if rogue nations like us but all too often the rest of the world, many of whom are supposed to be allies and trading partners are treated like they are just satellite states of America and should just shut up and start kissing our ass. That sort of thing does not gain respect and is instead domination. You need to think about what respect is, the main component is a willingness to play by the same rules you expect others to play by, a quality sadly lacking in our foreign policy under any president since Reagan.

Obama has niether respect or like

Which is why he couldn't get the Status of forces Agreement with Iraq and now Iran is using Iraq as their own personal playground to fund Anti Western regimes around Israel.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CDMSOGaRY]The South China Sea: Troubled Waters - YouTube[/ame]

I guess it's like always, conservatives see little value to diplomacy and feel it's appeasement. No one gives a damn if rogue nations like us but all too often the rest of the world, many of whom are supposed to be allies and trading partners are treated like they are just satellite states of America and should just shut up and start kissing our ass. That sort of thing does not gain respect and is instead domination. You need to think about what respect is, the main component is a willingness to play by the same rules you expect others to play by, a quality sadly lacking in our foreign policy under any president since Reagan.

Nothing like posting from far left propaganda and talking points.

I do not think fear in the military context is a necessary element of respect. Concern of having a strong leader on the other side of the argument in a diplomatic context is something else. For example I think that Mr Obama 'fears' Mr Putin now - not in any way because he worries about a Russian invasion but because of Putin's ability to make him look foolish.

What a bunch of goofballs.

Our enemies neither respect nor fear your lot, only laugh at you.

Remember this and remember it well. There is no such thing as an international set of rules that any one respects or goes by. With that as the standard well recognized by everyone, how does one operate in such an environment? The question is not whether to be aggressive on foreign policy matters, but who will fill the vacuum left by taking a non aggressive posture. That is fact, not fiction, and it flies in the fact of the liberal "can't we all just get along" and "we will weaken ourselves to make you feel better" foreign policy. Indeed, if they're not US "satellite states *poor comparison*" (i.e. in the US sphere of influence), who's sphere are they in? You are VERY nieve if you think that if we would just keep to ourselves then all is well and no one will fill the vacuum. This has never been the case in world history! The last president who started out by advocating the type of policy you seem to be for was Jimmy Carter. How did that work out?

Anyway, all weaker states tuck themselves under someone's sphere of influence voluntarily. Its the best way for them to gain power on the world stage.

Last edited:
What a bunch of goofballs.

Our enemies neither respect nor fear your lot, only laugh at you.

You mean Obama, the guy you voted for twice?

Even Putin looks like a better leader than Obama, worse yet leaders in France look like they are better leaders than Obama, why is that?

Putin is respected. Obama is neither respected nor liked. Why? Because he tried to be liked.

Last edited:
This is an example of attempting to be liked rather than respected.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_889oBKkNU]President Obama Speech to Muslim World in Cairo - YouTube[/ame]

This is where it got him. Indeed, now he is neither liked nor respected in the Muslim World.

USIMAGE0047.png

Last edited:

Forum List

Back