Is it ALL fake news?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Note: I am not just talking about coverage of President Trump.

I have noticed the the media in general has completely succumbed to advocacy journalism, where facts are presented (if at all) only to support a predetermined narrative. As a result I am finding that watching or reading "the news" provides little or no useful information.

Interestingly, this site provides a better range of opinions and citations than the major media. I only wish that we could refrain from the insults and name-calling...

IMO the Media's intent is to CONVINCE the viewer of something rather than REPORT facts in a clear and unbiased manner. And as you say that is not limited to coverage of President Trump. All of the major news channels do this now, and it is a tremendous disservice to the country.

If Trump and his administration would cease and desist from its policy of compulsive serial lying and disinformation campaigns their negative news reports would be greatly reduced. Until then, the media has an obligation and duty to report the lies and faulty information to the public when Trump and his administration promote their lies and disinformation.

I have noticed the the media in general has completely succumbed to advocacy journalism, where facts are presented (if at all) only to support a predetermined narrative. As a result I am finding that watching or reading "the news" provides little or no useful information.

Interestingly, this site provides a better range of opinions and citations than the major media. I only wish that we could refrain from the insults and name-calling...

I yearn for the news of old. A half hour in the morning, noon and at 11pm. They told you what was going on then shut the hell up.

If Trump and his administration would cease and desist from its policy of compulsive serial lying and disinformation campaigns their negative news reports would be greatly reduced. Until then, the media has an obligation and duty to report the lies and faulty information to the public when Trump and his administration promote their lies and disinformation.

Actually, both sides have lied and spread dis- or mis-information for quite some time now, it's very biased and wrong to claim only Trump and his admin does it. The media has an obligation and duty to report the lies and faulty information to the public when ANY administration, party, organization, or person engages in such activities. Too bad they aren't as honest and impartial as they should be.

IMO the Media's intent is to CONVINCE the viewer of something rather than REPORT facts in a clear and unbiased manner. And as you say that is not limited to coverage of President Trump. All of the major news channels do this now, and it is a tremendous disservice to the country.

During Trump's campaign, there was no effort to report Trump's obvious lies. What he said was reported as truth. It's well past time to let those lies continue unchallenged. The job of the news is to report the truth. When a politician lies, it's their job to point that out too.

The media today has gone too far....but lets see why they have behind the cameras and in front of the cameras and in the editing rooms...They have lost touch with reality...LOOK! they are over paid...they have the best jobs on the planet....no one ever investigates them...they have golden healthcare coverage...a retirement plan that presidents would die for...their kids go to the best schools...the very best doctors...they shop at all of the elite stores...and they are responsible for informing the common man on everyday political issues?...

That's a recipe for biased dishonesty in news coverage....

Critical thinking regarding media is long lost on a generation addicted to instant communication.
In a fight for critical seconds to beat another outlet, news stories have taken on the form of gossip where human error, falsifications, assumptions, generalizations happen in milliseconds to push a winning narrative at the expense of truth.
We all lose in this scenario, but the masses are distracted by frivolous entertainment and most Americans are frankly checked out when it comes to politics.
Best bet is to take all information with a grain of salt forming conclusions on ones core beliefs.
No media outlet will ever form my opinions, and I wish frankly that more would take that same approach.
The media seeks division for ratings...no need we get suckered into it.

anyone who doesn't realize the news is BULLSHIT, then they don't have a brain

Actually, both sides have lied and spread dis- or mis-information for quite some time now, it's very biased and wrong to claim only Trump and his admin does it. The media has an obligation and duty to report the lies and faulty information to the public when ANY administration, party, organization, or person engages in such activities. Too bad they aren't as honest and impartial as they should be.
Nowhere in my post did I suggest only Trump should be blamed for his dishonesty. Some folks are just so reliant on the "what about" deflections and excuses they expect everyone to accept those excuses as valid defenses for Donald Trump or whoever else they are trying to defend.

After George Bush beat the Democrats for the second time the media abandoned pretending to be non-partisan and decided to actively spin, twist, and lie on behalf of Democrats.

After George Bush beat the Democrats for the second time the media abandoned pretending to be non-partisan and decided to actively spin, twist, and lie on behalf of Democrats.

Yupp!
Democraps corrupted the 4th Estate; like everything else in their pursuit of perpetual power.
But a funny thing happened to them in their pursuit; a freedom and liberty loving American public and the election of Trump!

Nowhere in my post did I suggest only Trump should be blamed for his dishonesty. Some folks are just so reliant on the "what about" deflections and excuses they expect everyone to accept those excuses as valid defenses for Donald Trump or whoever else they are trying to defend.

"Nowhere in my post did I suggest only Trump should be blamed for his dishonesty."

Didn't say you did, or even implied it. But you were the one who didn't mention anyone else being dishonest, why is that? How many times has the media erroneously reported stories about Trump or his administration that turned out to be wrong? How many times did the media NOT report negative stories about Obama and his administration or Clinton and her campaign? Don't be spreading this shit about serial lying and disinformation and pointing the finger in only one direction, that's bullshit.

I yearn for the news of old. A half hour in the morning, noon and at 11pm. They told you what was going on then shut the hell up.

that was before the fairness doctrine, when they told us what they wanted us to hear, and no one said they were full of shit and told us the REST of the story.

Forum List

Back