Is going to try and give up alcohol in the new year

I've had 24 sober New Years now. Current project is giving up cigarettes. 17 days now and 4 smokes. Only one all the way. Getting a buzz from them and I toss them after 3 or 4 drags.

This is HARD!

Best of luck to ya!

You too Ernie, ya just have to keep trying and if ya stumble try again :)

Keep records of your urges, eat regular meals, get plenty of sleep and exercise, keep busy, remember 7 7 7 (inhale through your nose for 7 seconds; hold your breath for 7 seconds; exhale out your mouth for 7 seconds two times in a row three times a day and whenever you become stressed or angry).

Try 777 now and see how easy it is and how good you feel after doing so.

I gave up drinking for two years about 15 years ago. I was drinking a lot back then and I was having problems because of it. So I said fuck it, and gave it up.

I promised myself I would go at least 1 year without any alcohol. After the year was up, I still didn't drink for another year.... I was having too much fun without it!

When I started drinking alcohol again, I was much more responsible about it, and to be honest, it had lost a lot of its appeal. I realized that I did not get much pleasure from being "drunk" (even though I thought I did!) and I certainly didn't miss the hangovers or the inevitable regrets. So for me it was a good thing. I learned to drink with moderation and to enjoy one or two drinks instead of one or two drinks TOO MANY....:lol:

Nowadays I have a few beers once in a while. I love a strong red wine with a steak dinner (like later tonight!) . I even have a martini now and then (good for enhancing the appetite!). It's an enhancement to a nice evening, not the main event.

Best of luck!!

Ditto.

I decided to just try not consuming alcohol as my 2012 NY resolution, not because I, or anyone else thought it was a huge problem, but because I wanted to lose weight. Drinking is a very easy way to consume large volumes of calories, and impede any desire to excercise.

Not only did I lose weight, but I also found that mental acuteness was greatly enhanced. Frankly I was a little surprised to find that without the obstacle that even a single drink represented, the mind can work much more efficiently and with amazing agility.

I went through 2012 without any alcohol until December 20, at a business dinner to celebrate a big contract with the client and his wife. Only a glass of wine, and an after dinner drink ended the perfect evening.

The most difficult occasions were when co-workers would meet to drink and socialize, and my refusal to imbibe was something of a barrier to being "one-of-the-guys." However, I learned this, like many things, is a double edged sword. While failing to be their social equals, I was treated as THEIR SOCIAL SUPERIOUR . Instead of being ostracized, I found people, even managers outside the business/social circle approaching me for personal and business advice, and then actually acting on it!

As long as alcohol isn't the main event, its great.

:eusa_eh:

Of course, coffee will always be a main event!

Last edited:
Keep records of your urges, eat regular meals, get plenty of sleep and exercise, keep busy, remember 7 7 7 (inhale through your nose for 7 seconds; hold your breath for 7 seconds; exhale out your mouth for 7 seconds two times in a row three times a day and whenever you become stressed or angry).

Try 777 now and see how easy it is and how good you feel after doing so.

That seems like a good tip, is gonna give that a go :)

I gave up drinking for two years about 15 years ago. I was drinking a lot back then and I was having problems because of it. So I said fuck it, and gave it up.

I promised myself I would go at least 1 year without any alcohol. After the year was up, I still didn't drink for another year.... I was having too much fun without it!

When I started drinking alcohol again, I was much more responsible about it, and to be honest, it had lost a lot of its appeal. I realized that I did not get much pleasure from being "drunk" (even though I thought I did!) and I certainly didn't miss the hangovers or the inevitable regrets. So for me it was a good thing. I learned to drink with moderation and to enjoy one or two drinks instead of one or two drinks TOO MANY....:lol:

Nowadays I have a few beers once in a while. I love a strong red wine with a steak dinner (like later tonight!) . I even have a martini now and then (good for enhancing the appetite!). It's an enhancement to a nice evening, not the main event.

Best of luck!!

Ditto.

I decided to just try not consuming alcohol as my 2012 NY resolution, not because I, or anyone else thought it was a huge problem, but because I wanted to lose weight. Drinking is a very easy way to consume large volumes of calories, and impede any desire to excercise.

Not only did I lose weight, but I also found that mental acuteness was greatly enhanced. Frankly I was a little surprised to find that without the obstacle that even a single drink represented, the mind can work much more efficiently and with amazing agility.

I went through 2012 without any alcohol until December 20, at a business dinner to celebrate a big contract with the client and his wife. Only a glass of wine, and an after dinner drink ended the perfect evening.

The most difficult occasions were when co-workers would meet to drink and socialize, and my refusal to imbibe was something of a barrier to being "one-of-the-guys." However, I learned this, like many things, is a double edged sword. While failing to be their social equals, I was treated as THEIR SOCIAL SUPERIOUR . Instead of being ostracized, I found people, even managers outside the business/social circle approaching me for personal and business advice, and then actually acting on it!

As long as alcohol isn't the main event, its great.

:eusa_eh:

Of course, coffee will always be a main event!

See this is what I want in a nutshell, I really hope next year ill be copying what you've achievedeven if I only stick at it for 6 months.

Avoid events where alcohol is present as much as possible in the beginning.

If you must attend a business event where alcohol is present, try to arrive as late as possible and leave early. Drive yourself there.

If offered a drink, don't say, "I quit drinking." With some people a non-drinker is a challenge, and they will work hard to get you to drink. Instead, say, "Maybe later, thanks."

If you are asked later in the evening if you would like a drink, just say, "I've had enough, thanks." You are not lying, and they will assume you have already had a couple. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back