Is education a right or a privilege?

Discussion in 'Education' started by DavidS, May 29, 2009.

?

1. A right

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. A privilege?

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767

2. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I'd say you're an idiot for asking this question if I didnt think that you were just gaining a lil insight into the attitude of other members of the board on this topic:

Right.

What would be the criteria for being able to be educated?

That being said, and since I have fucking E.S.P. powers and can read your mind, you're now going to mix it up and ask "Well why doesnt EVERYONE go to college then?"

My answer, personal choice. I made the choice not to go to college, and I'm not sorry.

p.s. I dont have E.S.P. powers :tongue:

3. DavidS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    au contraire - the reason why I am asking this is........

If healthcare is getting nationalized by the Obama administration and that's a right - is education next? FREE college education for ALL American citizens? I'm not talking about going to Yale or Columbia for free... I'm talking about a university or community college's education given to you for free. Many people don't go to college because they can't afford it - if education is free, more people would go to college and get better educated and thus we would have smarter workers who would earn more money and give back higher tax revenue to the government.

So if healthcare is a right and education is a right - is free education next upon Obama's list?

4. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Touche. But not too far off :tongue:

To be honest, if I was in charge, under Americas current way of doing things, education would be my first pick. Hear me out:

If college education were free and available to everyone, we would have more educated workers (like you've already pointed out) in the work force capable of obtaining jobs with (more than, perhaps) liveable incomes AND health insurance. For a large part, that would cover healthcare, not in all cases, but most, thus reducing the need for such a drastic over-haul of the healthcare system (and granted, we're talking 20+ years down the road from now when free college education will pay off for America) . The more educated our people are, the more we're able to compete with countries like Japan and a few others who are what seems like light-years ahead of us in subjects like math and science.

And you're right, a lot of people in America dont go to college cause of the expenses. Thats my story right there. Of 6 kids, myself counted, I'm the only one without a college education, the youngest of us is still 11 and she had the $ for a college education already, so say 4 of 5. I've watched my older siblings graduate college with an off the top of my head average of $50,000 in debt thanks to student loans.

1 has done very well for herself.

Of the other three, one is a teacher, the other a computer progammer, the third a probation officer.

From my personal experience, its gonna be years before 75% of my siblings (that have graduated college thus far) will be able to pay off their student loans. I refuse to be in that situation.

I would have LOVED to go to college, but the debt I would be in afterwards didnt seem worth it. Instead, I chose a construction job that trained me and pays a liveable wage for me AND my child.

Under the current system, unless ones parents are rich or you're smart enough to get a scholarship (what? 10% of a high school population, and thats over-stating) one will be paying off student debts for a long enough time to make 4 years of college hardly worth the effort.

On a side note, before UFC was popular, my oldest brother was cage fighting around the Mid-West to help pay his tuition. You should see his face. He went to extremes to lessen his student loan debt. I wont do that....I'm too pretty :tongue:

5. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    If education was not a requirement for decent jobs, then it would be a privilege, but as they are now requiring it for almost all jobs now, it's a right.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,000
    It is not a right. It is a privilege and one we PAY for. It is mandatory to get an education until a certain age, that still does not make it a right. Everyone that pays property tax and sales tax pays for education.

It is a protected privilege, in that the Government ensures certain basic standards are met.

The Federal Government has zero authority to have any dealings outside of basic protections in Education. They have no authority to dictate to a State or County how they will run their schools, EXCEPT for some basic protections provided by the Constitutional Amendments.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. DavidS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Incorrect. Remember segregation? Brown v. Board of Education?

8. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,000
    Segregation breaks the basic law of the land. It is a BASIC protection the Government can enforce. It does not , however, give the Government any authority to pay for or tax for education, not to interfere in the school systems of the several States, EXCEPT to ensure they meet the basic protections of the privilege as protected by amendments in the Constitution.

Legally a State could decide it would no longer provide school at all. As long as it was a UNIFORM decision that equally effected every citizen in the State the Federal Government has NO authority to enforce that the State run a school system.

9. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Uniform in terms of.....what? Those making the decision? Whats the process for making sure that its uniform for everyone in the state?

It's late, I'm gonna give it a few for your answer. Then I'll be going to bed. If I dont see it before then, good-night everyone. In that case, I'll address it in the 'morn

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,000
    Uniform would be that the State provides the exact same condition to each citizen, either a school to go to, or NO school to go to, all across the State.

1-12th grade is not free, never has been. It is not a right. And for damn sure anything after 12 is NO right.