Is copyright too long?

The rest of the world shouldn't have the wheel, internal combustion engines, or airbags without paying some random person who did nothing because someone who died 300, 200, or 70 years ago filed a scrap of paper?

The rest of the world does not get the wheel, internal combustion engine, or airbags without paying someone for them, why shouldn't it be the family of the guy who invented them?

I should also mention that endless copyrights on anything would be unconstitutional.

How so?

:lol:

Once again you prove you've never read the Constitution.

If you don't know why it;d be unconstitutional, you should just sit down in the corner and be silent and merely thought a fool.

So, it is unconstitutional because you say it is, and we should all bow to your brilliance. Got it.

:lol:

Once again you prove you've never read the Constitution.

If you don't know why it;d be unconstitutional, you should just sit down in the corner and be silent and merely thought a fool.

I GUARANTEE you that I have read and studied the COTUS more than you. Your name calling doesn't change that fact.

You obviously have no idea why it would be unconstitutional , and realized it after making a stupid statement and had nothing to back it up that's why you resorted to insults.

Copyrights are NOT unconstitutional.

ConHog said:
Hi, you have received -66 reputation points from ConHog.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
if you were half as intelligent as you thought yourself you would be dangerous, luckily for us you are not

Regards,
ConHog

Note: This is an automated message.

Fail, moron. I never said copyrights are unconstitutional. I said that infinite copyrights would be unconstitutional.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution, known as the Copyright Clause, the Copyright and Patent Clause (or Patent and Copyright Clause), the Intellectual Property Clause and the Progress Clause, empowers the United States Congress:
“ To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Learn to fucking read.

http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/pl105-298.pdf

copyrights can be renewed, essentially into perpetuity, YOU learn to read.

Fail, moron. I never said copyrights are unconstitutional. I said that infinite copyrights would be unconstitutional.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution, known as the Copyright Clause, the Copyright and Patent Clause (or Patent and Copyright Clause), the Intellectual Property Clause and the Progress Clause, empowers the United States Congress:
“ To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Learn to fucking read.

That is not what you said.

I should also mention that endless copyrights on anything would be unconstitutional.

But thanks for moving the goal posts.

Regardless, the Constitution also provides for treaties that take precedent over US Law, and the Constitution. The Obama administration is currently involved in secret national security negotiations regarding copyrights, and if that treaty ends up saying that copyrights are eternal that would be Constitutional.

If you knew anything about the Constitution you would know that.

Intellectual "property" is a contradiction of terms. More libertarians and free-marketers need to realize this. You can't own a thought, you can't own a musical sequence, and you can't own an idea.

Bullshit.

If I "invented" the metal spring and and developed a method on how to manufacture it, you copied my design and got the government to say you invented it, you could legally prevent me from manufacturing something I created using "intellectual property".

If I "invented" the idea of skyscrapers and the government says it's my idea (even though the idea has existed for a loooong time), could I prevent anyone from making what I define as a skyscraper?

If I "invented" 4-4 musical timing could I prevent other people from using and profiting off of it?

It's asinine when you truly get to the root of the issue.

Intellectual "property" is a contradiction of terms. More libertarians and free-marketers need to realize this. You can't own a thought, you can't own a musical sequence, and you can't own an idea.

Bullshit.

If I "invented" the metal spring and and developed a method on how to manufacture it, you copied my design and got the government to say you invented it, you could legally prevent me from manufacturing something I created using "intellectual property".

If I "invented" the idea of skyscrapers and the government says it's my idea (even though the idea has existed for a loooong time), could I prevent anyone from making what I define as a skyscraper?

If I "invented" 4-4 musical timing could I prevent other people from using and profiting off of it?

First you are confusing patents with copyrights, but they are similar

The answer to ALL of your questions is YES. Without a patent use agreement no one could use your ideas.

Here's an example. TiVo invented the DVR. DirectTv DishNetwork and a host of cable companies quickly started offering there own versions. DishNetwork forgot to secure a patent agreement. They are currently in negotiations to try to keep producing DVRs and to keep the ones they now have in service running. DirectTV did secure an agreement with TiVo and they are having no problems.

Dish Network faces DVR shutdown

Bullshit.

That is exactly how it works, so why are you saying it is ridiculous?

'Patent trolling' firms sue their way to profits - Business - U.S. business - msnbc.com

What is asinine is people abusing the system, not the system itself. Or do you blame the laws against murder for people getting killed?

Seems you guys are defending patents for the sake that they exist, not because they are right, or what we should do.

That story you just posted is a perfect example of what a joke patents are. Those people are worse than corporate welfare recipients.

Last edited:
Seems you guys are defending patents for the sake that they exist, not because they are right, or what we should do.

That story you just posted is a perfect example of what a joke patents are.

They are good , I am for them.

I invented the phrase "I am for them". Please pay me $5.

She me the copyright and then show me where I have agreed to pay you a royalty and I will PayPal it to you. Otherwise you can take me to court and try to secure a judgment. Ah , the American way.

That story you just posted is a perfect example of what a joke patents are. Those people are worse than corporate welfare recipients.

Actually, I am defending patents because they are right, and because they protect the little guy against the people with money. You are attacking them for the abuse and the things that go wrong. For every example of patent trolling I can find, and I can find dozens, I can find examples of times where intellectual property laws protected someone. Here is one of the more famous examples. So famous, The Simpsons did an episode about it.

Superman's Super Legal Battle for ownership

I am attacking them because they are fundamentally wrong, abuse is just the result of that.

Because you can find exceptions to the rule doesn't mean it's right, and even if most of the times patents and copyrights "protected" the little guy it wouldn't mean it's right.

How can you own anything 70 years after you die?

so you do not believe in inheritance?

You support 100% inheritance tax?
How can you inherit an idea or a concept?

I can hand you my car and house keys before I die. How can i hand you the words I spoke or wrote 30 years ago that are floating around the web, written in books around the world, and resonating in people's heads?

you don't copyright an 'idea'.

so if i wrote Thunder Road and that's the legacy I pass on to my children you think they should be divested of that? who should get the money? the record company? the collective we? or should it just be stolen by people who didn't create it.

so you do not believe in inheritance?

You support 100% inheritance tax?
How can you inherit an idea or a concept?

I can hand you my car and house keys before I die. How can i hand you the words I spoke or wrote 30 years ago that are floating around the web, written in books around the world, and resonating in people's heads?

you don't copyright an 'idea'.

so if i wrote Thunder Road and that's the legacy I pass on to my children you think they should be divested of that? who should get the money? the record company? the collective we? or should it just be stolen by people who didn't create it.

The world is coming to an end, two days in a row Jillian has been right, which of course means in agreement with me.

:clap2:

Forum List

Back