Is copyright too long?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Do we really need a copyright to be in effect for 70 years after you die? Does your grandchild deserve royalties for a book you wrote 100 years ago? How does retroactively extending copyright for The Great Gatsby promote science and useful arts and stand to what the F wrote about ex post facto laws in the Constitution?

Last edited:
This girl who drinks at a bar I go to once in awhile, get checks for " These Boots were made for walking".
I guess her great uncle or something wrote the song. LOL

• Banned
Why should your right to own what you created ever expire?
How can you own anything 70 years after you die?

so you do not believe in inheritance?

You support 100% inheritance tax?
How can you inherit an idea or a concept?

I can hand you my car and house keys before I die. How can i hand you the words I spoke or wrote 30 years ago that are floating around the web, written in books around the world, and resonating in people's heads?

I can hand you my car and house keys before I die. How can i hand you the words I spoke or wrote 30 years ago that are floating around the web, written in books around the world, and resonating in people's heads?

Because the ideas, concepts, and words were never expressed in that way before, and thus you own the copyright for that exact pattern. If someone can express them in a completely different method, then they can apply for another copyright.

It is your words and ideas, and it is your choice what gets to happen to them.
Would you rather a publisher or music label get all the profits? Someone has to publish the book etc.

Because the ideas, concepts, and words were never expressed in that way before, and thus you own the copyright for that exact pattern. If someone can express them in a completely different method, then they can apply for another copyright.

But you don't exist anymore. You haven't existed for decades. How can you own anything at all?

It is your words and ideas, and it is your choice what gets to happen to them.
Would you rather a publisher or music label get all the profits? Someone has to publish the book etc.

How is Bach going to collect his check today?

And the label or publisher which makes the new records or prints the new copies of books will make its money.

Jefferson is long dead. However, if I choose to own a bound copy of his works, I pay a publisher for collecting and binding them and a bookstore for making it conveniently available.

Why should someone who happens to be related to him get money when they've done nothing at all?

But you don't exist anymore. You haven't existed for decades. How can you own anything at all?
So, should someone not be able to inherit a home etc?

I can hand you the keys to my home.

How can I hand you words that are floating in other peoples' heads?

We're not discussing the inheritance of real property. The two matters are not the same in reality or in the law.

Where on Earth did you get that?

We're talking about copyright, you idiot.

We're not discussing the inheritance of real property.

Two very different issues in reality and in the courts.

I can hand you the keys to my home.

How can I hand you words that are floating in other peoples' heads?

We're not discussing the inheritance of real property. The two matters are not the same in reality or in the law.

Someone can use the words to gain a profit. You should have a say in who gets those future profits. The might not be exactly the same in reality or law, but it is the same principle.
It is your idea/property, you should have a say in who inherits it, profits from it, and controls it.

Where on Earth did you get that?

We're talking about copyright, you idiot.

We're not discussing the inheritance of real property.

Two very different issues in reality and in the courts.

It is called Intellectual Property. ;)
http://www.usmessageboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2861619
is a term referring to a number of distinct types of creations of the mind for which property rights are recognized—and the corresponding fields of law.[1] Under intellectual property law, owners are granted certain exclusive rights to a variety of intangible assets, such as musical, literary, and artistic works; discoveries and inventions; and words, phrases, symbols, and designs. Common types of intellectual property include copyrights, trademarks, patents, industrial design rights and trade secrets in some jurisdictions.
Intellectual property - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Topics

Forum List

Back