Is Bush Working For Mexico?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://frum.nationalreview.com/archives/03302006.asp#093849

MAR. 30, 2006: CRAZY LIKE A FOX

Follow the money: In 2005, Mexicans in the United States remitted some $20 billion home. That's 3% of Mexico's entire national income.

Remittances have surpassed tourism, oil, and the maquiladora assembly industry to emerge as the country's top single source of foreign exchange. For the 6% of Mexican households that receive remittances, these funds can mean the difference between extreme poverty and an income roughly in line with the Mexican average.

And as Mexico's economy has malperformed since 2000, remittances have become more essential than ever - not only economically, but politically.

This trend explains why Vicente Fox pressed President Bush so hard for amnesty and guestworker programs in Cancun this week. It explains too why George Bush has acceded: After all, Mexico's problems are inevitably America's problems too. The stability and prosperity of Mexico are vital American national interests.

So President Bush is right to sympathize with his Mexican counterpart. He is entirely wrong, though, to give in. Remittances have cushioned Mexico's failure, but they cannot achieve Mexico's success. Only internal change in Mexico can do that. Mexico desperately needs foreign investment in its energy industry, a rationalization of its tax system, and free-market reform of its labor laws. Vicente Fox has done none of these things, and has in fact barely tried. He has instead pinned all his country's hopes on the export of its population to the United States.

Today, almost one-fifth of all living Mexican-born people now make their homes in the United States. You have to go back to the Irish potato famine to find a parallel. But Mexico is not suffering famine: It is suffering from a comprehensive failure of political and economic leadership.

Mexico's problems are also America's problems, no getting around that. But an American president cannot agree that Mexico's problems should be made only America's problems.

In the context of an immigration reform in the American interest - meaning a restrictive immigration reform - the US should of course help Mexico find substitutes for any reductions in remittance income. One good place to start would be the energy industry, which could contribute much more to Mexican wealth if Mexico abandoned its 75-year-old protectionist policies. Of course, Mexicans will say that such changes are politically impossible for them. Then they turn around and ask George Bush to lay waste to Republican political prospects to save them from a fate from which they will not save themselves.

It's frustrating. It's even frightening. But in the end, an American president must remember who he is ultimately working for.

Bullypulpit said:
No, but he is working for the corporate interests that benefit most from the labor of illegals. Union busting on the sly.

Well union busting would be a waste of time, as there are few unions of much import left, not done in by the evil GOP either. :rolleyes:

Bullypulpit said:
No, but he is working for the corporate interests that benefit most from the labor of illegals. Union busting on the sly.

I'm not sure about union busting but Americam politicians are looking out for themselves as usual. Nothing new.

Bullypulpit said:

So you don't think illegals coming here and sending their wages home is good for mexico? You need to do some reading.

Here is what makes me fall out of my chair laughing when I read these immigration threads: Bush has been totally consistent on amnesty since he announced in 2000, the man has never wavered on his position concerning illegals but you all act as if he's selling you out all of a sudden. You should have known this when you voted for him, I did, its one of the reasons did vote for him.

OCA said:
Here is what makes me fall out of my chair laughing when I read these immigration threads: Bush has been totally consistent on amnesty since he announced in 2000, the man has never wavered on his position concerning illegals but you all act as if he's selling you out all of a sudden. You should have known this when you voted for him, I did, its one of the reasons did vote for him.

Just because one votes for a candidate doesn't mean you agree with his stand on every issue. It's pretty safe for you to laugh at people since you don't have a candidate to stand for , isn't it?

The thing of it is, we let them in here by our inaction, we looked the other way while we bought the cheaper food they helped to produce. We even let them in our homes to install our Cable/Satellite, shoot they probably built that home.

Now we want to ignore the fact that we allowed them here, used their services for many things, constantly looking the other way. Cities created laws that specifically protected them (look up Sanctuary Laws if you don't believe me) and we keep buying the McDonald's food and largely ignore the fact that they are vacuuming our offices and dumping our trash.

Suddenly we want to pretend we didn't allow them here and punish them for coming...

I think it would be best to close the border, give amnesty to these we invited by implication then change the laws so any future comers will have it clear, they are not invited as these people have been....

• Thanks
Reactions: OCA
dilloduck said:
Just because one votes for a candidate doesn't mean you agree with his stand on every issue. It's pretty safe for you to laugh at people since you don't have a candidate to stand for , isn't it?

I had a candidate the last 6 years but he's turned out to be a dismal failure. I will be supporting the TRUE conservative candidate in '08, will you?

OCA said:
I had a candidate the last 6 years but he's turned out to be a dismal failure. I will be supporting the TRUE conservative candidate in '08, will you?

I will vote for the most conservative candidate that stands a chance of winning.

no1tovote4 said:
The thing of it is, we let them in here by our inaction, we looked the other way while we bought the cheaper food they helped to produce. We even let them in our homes to install our Cable/Satellite, shoot they probably built that home.

Now we want to ignore the fact that we allowed them here, used their services for many things, constantly looking the other way. Cities created laws that specifically protected them (look up Sanctuary Laws if you don't believe me) and we keep buying the McDonald's food and largely ignore the fact that they are vacuuming our offices and dumping our trash.

Suddenly we want to pretend we didn't allow them here and punish them for coming...

I think it would be best to close the border, give amnesty to these we invited by implication then change the laws so any future comers will have it clear, they are not invited as these people have been....

Excellent post and this in fact is going to happen, all along its really been the only viable solution. We must understand though the trashings about of these people who are now fully seeing W as he really is via the port deal and now immigration. Give them time and they will come around.

dilloduck said:
I will vote for the most conservative candidate that stands a chance of winning.

So you are all about winning and not about principle? Yes that is exactly what you are saying because generally the Repub candidates have been the conservatives and once in office they've been giving conservatives the big black dildo for decades now. Keep supporting them though! Maybe they will change! ROTFLMFAO!

no1tovote4 said:

I would agree with you up to a point. That point being Reagan already had passed a grandfather clause. I grant you that all administrations have turned a blind eye since, something needs to be worked out here.

1. First close the borders, with serious repercussions to any that cross.
2. To those who hold a job, without false social security or other law breaking documents-issue some sort of card that allows the person to work here. Pay back taxes, learn English if hasn't already.
3. Severely penalize employers that employ any that don't have the work permit. Second or third offense, should call for jail time.
4. Provide a basis for those that have worker card to get in legally, in line with those already waiting.
5. increase the legal number of lower educated workers, if that is something the government really thinks needs to be done-of course the employers would have to pay them like any other LEGAL worker.

I'm sure there are many more things to be addressed, but it's a start. Gingrich has been speaking of something to this effect.

OCA said:
So you are all about winning and not about principle? Yes that is exactly what you are saying because generally the Repub candidates have been the conservatives and once in office they've been giving conservatives the big black dildo for decades now. Keep supporting them though! Maybe they will change! ROTFLMFAO!

No--I'm about reality. Are you gonna try to tell me that If I had voted for Kerry that our government would be more conservative?

dilloduck said:
No--I'm about reality. Are you gonna try to tell me that If I had voted for Kerry that our government would be more conservative?

Kerry? What the fuck are you talking about? Yeah uhhhh that is exactly what I was uhhhh saying lol.

I'm saying that there are more than two parties in America and if you took the time to check them out instead of following the Repubs like a lamb you might find there is actually a party that espouses true conervative beliefs and ideals.

no1tovote4 said:

That logic is like condoning someone stealing my car if I don't have an alarm system installed on it. :wtf:

no1tovote4 said:

Wrong. We can undo what we've done. This is like the argument libs used that we can't fight islamofascism because we supported it agaisnt the russains. We always have the right to change our minds, just like a woman.

NO AMNESTY.

OCA said:
BECAUSE I WANT TO PAY 10 DOLLARS FOR A HEAD OF LETTUCE AND A ROOM AT THE MOTEL 6 TO COST ME 400 DOLLARS A NIGHT. THAT IS FRIGGIN AWESOME MAN! :banana:

I'd be willing to pay the fallout. I wonder how long the prices would stay significantly higher? Realistically I don't think we are going to get over 12 million deported. On the other hand, I think any illegals caught for some crime, regardless of violent or not, should be deported. That's just enforcing the laws already on the books, a serious lapse the government has been guilty of not doing.

OCA said:
BECAUSE I WANT TO PAY 10 DOLLARS FOR A HEAD OF LETTUCE AND A ROOM AT THE MOTEL 6 TO COST ME 400 DOLLARS A NIGHT. THAT IS FRIGGIN AWESOME MAN! :banana:

and people might even have to get off thier ass to mow a lawn??? How drastic !!! :laugh:

Forum List

Back