Is boxing dead? I remember the first Ali-Frazier fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
remember when ali fought that japanese guy ?
I watched Ali fight Lyle Alzado at Mile High Stadium. I can't remember if it was before Alzado went to the Raiders (from Denver), or after his time with the Raiders. He was originally from New York, and was supposed to have done some boxing when he was younger.

He took several good shots, at Ali, and (the story goes) during one of Ali's legendary-clinches, Ali told him "We can do this hard....or, we can do this easy." After that, it turned-into more of a sparring-match.​

No Mas! ....with the Roberto crap

He is the Sarah Palin of Boxing
In-other-words, you're too-young to remember him.

Got it.

I saw Roberto Duran fight many times on Wide World of Sports. Hands of Stone was a great young fighter.

Unfortunately, I also paid to watch him quit against Sugar Ray Leonard. He was fat and out of shape. Sugar Ray was humiliating him in the ring and he outright quit.
That's bullshit!!!!!

In the first-fight, Leonard (actually) thought he could go toe-to-toe with Duran. After that fight, he looked like he did. His face was ALL-puffed-up!!

The second-fight.....Leonard performed like some scared-little-bitch!!!! Hell...he spent all (but, the last-30-seconds) of each round, RUNNING!!!! Then, during the last 30-or-so-seconds, he'd flurry (run-up any punch-scoring). That fight was a farce...and, if Duran quit, outta frustration, I wouldn't have blamed him for one second!

You were disappointed at paying to see him??? Hell....in the first-fight, I took $75 (from people betting on Leonard). In the second-fight, I took-on quite a few more people....and, dropped $150. <Groan>

Marvin Hagler QUIT boxing, after fighting Leonard. Hagler kicked the fuckin' CRAP outta Leonard....was pumped, and could have gone another 2-or-3 rounds, with Leonard.....and, Leonard won by decision (lookin' just like he did, after the first Duran-fight)!!!

I NEVER liked Leonard, after those two fights!!! It seemed....too-often....like he was awarded wins.....rather-than (actually) winning. He was boxing's "golden boy"....mostly because o' his Olympic-wins!!

The same thing happened during the Pernell Whitaker/Oscar De La Hoya fight....Whitaker turned De La Hoya every-way-but-loose....and, De La Hoya got the decision.​

Last edited:
Like Leonard or not.....he took on the toughest fighters of the era and beat them

Wilfred Benitez,Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler

Any one of them should have taken him out but couldn't. Duran killed Leonard in their first fight and showed up fat and lazy in his second. Leonard just toyed with him, dancing around and hitting him at will

Duran couldn't stand the loss of his dignity and quit....No Mas

Sad ending for a once great fighter

Tyson never had the height or the reach to be a great heavyweight. (showed in the Buster Douglas fight)

Foreman in his prime would have destroyed him just like he did Joe Frazier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back