Is Asexuality really a thing?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Asexuality Is Real How A Rare Orientation Helps Us Understand Human Sexuality

" Asexuality, lacking attraction to anyone or anything, affects approximately one percent of the population, scientists say.

Meanwhile, the scientific community evolves in its understanding of what is normal. The 1980 edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, for instance, included a disorder referred to as “inhibited sexual desire” and renamed, two decades later, “hypoactive sexual desire disorder.” This pathology — which is based on the assumption that some level of sexual desire is normal — was defined as a deficiency or absence of sexual fantasies and desire, which causes distress or interpersonal difficulty.

While a decrease in sexual desire can signal physiological (hypothyroidism, for example) or psychological (depression, anxiety) conditions, is low or absent sexual desire necessarily a disorder? More importantly, is asexuality simply low sexual desire?

In a videotaped discussion of research comparing low desire and asexuality, Brotto points to the fact that asexual people feel no distress for the condition, whereas those who suffer from a physiological condition causing them to lose their libido do feel distress. She also states “there’s no reparative therapy” for asexual people."

lots more at link, some of the highlights above.

As someone who historically goes years between sexual relationships despite daily masturbation quite happily, I can attest some people love sex (as I do) yet isn't as motivated to have partner-sex. In my case it's like how I don't drink alcohol any more. Not because I had a problem with it but because I'd done it enough times I don't see a need, or have a desire, to do it again. As with sex. I've had lots of partner-sex with men and women, and at this point don't see a need or have much desire to do so again. Although I do have a desire to try my fantasy and be with a hot feminine Asian transsexual. :) But regular men and women are a 'been there, done that, done lots of that.'

As to asexuality per se', it's possible some people get to the 'don't see the need to do it for real' ahead of those like myself who don't but due to lots of experience. An asexual might just be able to leap to the end of the book as it were via masturbation or visualization and fantasy alone.

In any event, the very idea of labelling our sexuality somewhere on a spectrum doesn't sit right in my lap. People are all sexual, or not as with asexuals, but what's it matter what kind of sexual they are?

What's it like to date someone who's asexual?

Identity 2016: What's it like to date someone who's asexual?
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 - Sophie and George are young, in love and asexual. But dating without sex is not without its complications.
Sophie Jorgensen-Rideout had been friends with George Norman for about five months before they met up to watch the film How to Train Your Dragon, and one thing led to another. "We kissed," says George. "I realise that to other people saying that usually means something else." The 21-year-old undergraduate is among the estimated 1% of people in the UK who identify as asexual. But it took George until his first year at the University of York before he started openly identifying as such. "This always entertains other asexual people but throughout most of my childhood, I kind of thought that everyone else was like me. I just assumed they were hiding it better than I was."

_89471629_dsc_0248.jpg

Asexuality is not a choice like celibacy. George has never experienced sexual attraction but, like many people in the asexual community, he is in a long-term romantic relationship. Their first kiss came as something of a surprise. "I was firmly under the notion that George was homoromantic," says Sophie. "But that really illustrates just how fluid romanticism can be."

Asexuality

* An estimated 1% of people in the UK are thought to be asexual
* Asexual people do not experience sexual attraction
* Asexuality is distinct from the condition of people who lack sexual desire but find that problematic
* There is a wide spectrum between absolute asexuals and 'sexuals' and many people identify somewhere in between
* Many people who identify on that spectrum have decoupled sex and romance
* For those that do experience romantic attraction, some identify themselves as hetero or homoromantic

Someone who is homoromantic feels romantically drawn towards people of the same gender. It's just one of a whole range of terms being used to describe how much romantic attraction a person feels towards others. "I don't find sex and love to be at all connected. It just confuses me this idea that they have to be," explains Sophie. "I think sexuality is fluid and diverse and so is romanticism so that it's unlikely that you'll ever fit into a box." Sophie's preferred identity is "grey asexual" or "grey-ace". It's a term she says she stumbled upon by browsing through the vast number of Tumblrs, blogs and the online forums of Asexual Visibility and Education Network - the main online hub for the asexual community. There is no set definition for the term grey asexual, but it usually describes someone who places themselves somewhere on the wide spectrum between being sexual and completely asexual.

MORE

Celibacy is an actual truth. Some people don't have a lot of sexual feelings, and/or they lose a lot of sexual interest while taking certain medications.

Forum List

Back