Is American Power Dwindling?

antagon

The Man
Dec 6, 2009
I say no. Rather, I see the fall of the USSR as the infancy of US world domination, leaving a good 100 - 150 years of definitive top-dog status. Nevertheless, folks seem to be eager to prophecy our immanent decline. What is this based on, again?

What is power? How do we define it? It gets tricky trying to determine what exactly "power" means. Personally i think the whole "American Power" thing is way over-rated. It probably only brings more problems to our nation in the end. Something to ponder i guess.

i see american power as less ambiguous, perhaps. it came about from awareness of what power is geopolitically, and could only persist with continued awareness.

is our economy outsizing that of the next four largest economies combined a fact from which we could appraise power? is our navy floating more waterline than the rest of the world's navies combined a power position?

More power just leads to more Globalism in my opinion. It actually only brings more problems to our nation. Maybe less power is the way to go? Hmm?

i guess that depends on how you feel about globalism. i'd agree that the implications of being atop the power ladder don't seem to play out in the homes of the average american. if one could consider the quality of life of some 300+ million of us, relative to less 'powerful' nations, the picture is better resolved. what about the american with greater than average ambitions? there could be a correlation between globalism and opportunity in the land of opportunity.

hmm?

I say no. Rather, I see the fall of the USSR as the infancy of US world domination, leaving a good 100 - 150 years of definitive top-dog status. Nevertheless, folks seem to be eager to prophecy our immanent decline. What is this based on, again?

Our Leadership apologizing for our Military and Economic status.

Globalism is the scourge of mankind. It has turned so many into slaves. I can't recall a single Global trade deal signed in recent years that has benefited American Workers. All of our politicians in both parties have sold us out. I proudly proclaim that it's time for more Isolationism & Protectionism. The Globalists have made those terms dirty words. Why have they made those terms dirty words? Just look at the people who are always pushing Globalism/Interventionism. Those people don't care about Americans anymore. The time has come for a bit of that Isolationism & Protectionism. When Americans stop fighting for Americans you know something is wrong. Our politicians have stopped fighting for Americans a long time ago. I don't understand how so few understand this. I equate power with Globalism/Interventionism so i think less power might just be a good thing for this nation. That's how i feel anyway.

i think isolationism and protectionism are 'dirty words' because they project a mutually exclusive character to domestic vs. international policy. paying mind to some of the ways which american life, and indeed the standards and even availability of labor for american workers is availed by our participation in the world might indicate how such thinking is errant. i think that we've got to balance foreign and domestic policy, ideally without leaping from the interventionist camp to the isolationist camp's extremes.

i thought apologizing for being top dog militarily and economically might indicate that we are top dog in those ways.

then again, i would think basing your judgment on apologies altogether would be inept. what do i know.

i thought apologizing for being top dog militarily and economically might indicate that we are top dog in those ways.

then again, i would think basing your judgment on apologies altogether would be inept. what do i know.

Agreed: What do you know.

Being "top dog" means not having to say you're sorry for being "top dog."

But its not just anyone apologizing, it our Leadership....you mightn't understand what the definition is.... so its easy to understand your confusion.

I don't get that either. We saved the world TWICE. did we apologize for doing so after either event? No we didn't. We ran the Soviets out of power. Did we apologize for that? No.

Until Obama came on the scene and suddenly it's time to apologize for everything.

Okay world here it is.

"We the US are sorry that we ever defended you, ever fought to protect you from the evils of the world, we wish we had let evil triumph, and will no longer meddle, but be warned if you come to us asking for help you can fuck off"

In 10 years or so, the US will be the strongest Third World country on the globe. You can thank Owe Bama and those that think like him for it...

I don't get that either. We saved the world TWICE. did we apologize for doing so after either event? No we didn't. We ran the Soviets out of power. Did we apologize for that? No.

Until Obama came on the scene and suddenly it's time to apologize for everything.

Okay world here it is.

"We the US are sorry that we ever defended you, ever fought to protect you from the evils of the world, we wish we had let evil triumph, and will no longer meddle, but be warned if you come to us asking for help you can fuck off"
while its noted that some feel the remorse index is the best measure of a nation's international influence, affluence, power and leadership, i propose that mogabe, a well-known adherent to this bullshit hasn't taken zimbabwe anywhere with his failure to indicate knowledge of right and wrong.

Okay world here it is.

while its noted that some feel the remorse index is the best measure of a nation's international influence, affluence, power and leadership, i propose that mogabe, a well-known adherent to this bullshit hasn't taken zimbabwe anywhere with his failure to indicate knowledge of right and wrong.

Let me try to speak more slowly for you:

Power
Is
What
Others
Preceive

aka, PIWOP, for the Bureaucratic Mindset that must Anachronise everything.

Obama, making apologies, DIMINISHES how others preceive America's power, and encourages them to fly airplanes into our sky-scrapers.

Last edited:

no,,, we are the biggest ass kickers on the planet...until God... or the space aliens.. return to kick our asses

"Unlimited funds are the sinews of war." -Cicero

If that is so, our power depends on our strong economy. Obama has weakened that economy decisively by introducing layers of government control, more taxation, and more regulation. We simply will not be able to grow enough to finance a military that will be called on to act in a more global role.

I see this as possibly pre-meditated on Obama's part: He and his circle truly believe American military power is the problem, not the solution.

Forum List

Back