Is American Power Dwindling?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by antagon, Aug 8, 2010.

1. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I say no. Rather, I see the fall of the USSR as the infancy of US world domination, leaving a good 100 - 150 years of definitive top-dog status. Nevertheless, folks seem to be eager to prophecy our immanent decline. What is this based on, again?

2. washamericom

washamericom Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,696
    only between here and mexico

3. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    What is power? How do we define it? It gets tricky trying to determine what exactly "power" means. Personally i think the whole "American Power" thing is way over-rated. It probably only brings more problems to our nation in the end. Something to ponder i guess.

4. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    i see american power as less ambiguous, perhaps. it came about from awareness of what power is geopolitically, and could only persist with continued awareness.

is our economy outsizing that of the next four largest economies combined a fact from which we could appraise power? is our navy floating more waterline than the rest of the world's navies combined a power position?

5. LibocalypseNow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    More power just leads to more Globalism in my opinion. It actually only brings more problems to our nation. Maybe less power is the way to go? Hmm?

6. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    i guess that depends on how you feel about globalism. i'd agree that the implications of being atop the power ladder don't seem to play out in the homes of the average american. if one could consider the quality of life of some 300+ million of us, relative to less 'powerful' nations, the picture is better resolved. what about the american with greater than average ambitions? there could be a correlation between globalism and opportunity in the land of opportunity.

hmm?

7. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Our Leadership apologizing for our Military and Economic status.

8. LibocalypseNow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    Globalism is the scourge of mankind. It has turned so many into slaves. I can't recall a single Global trade deal signed in recent years that has benefited American Workers. All of our politicians in both parties have sold us out. I proudly proclaim that it's time for more Isolationism & Protectionism. The Globalists have made those terms dirty words. Why have they made those terms dirty words? Just look at the people who are always pushing Globalism/Interventionism. Those people don't care about Americans anymore. The time has come for a bit of that Isolationism & Protectionism. When Americans stop fighting for Americans you know something is wrong. Our politicians have stopped fighting for Americans a long time ago. I don't understand how so few understand this. I equate power with Globalism/Interventionism so i think less power might just be a good thing for this nation. That's how i feel anyway.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    i think isolationism and protectionism are 'dirty words' because they project a mutually exclusive character to domestic vs. international policy. paying mind to some of the ways which american life, and indeed the standards and even availability of labor for american workers is availed by our participation in the world might indicate how such thinking is errant. i think that we've got to balance foreign and domestic policy, ideally without leaping from the interventionist camp to the isolationist camp's extremes.

10. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    i thought apologizing for being top dog militarily and economically might indicate that we are top dog in those ways.

then again, i would think basing your judgment on apologies altogether would be inept. what do i know.