Is a pro-Romney ad racist? Five questions to ask yourself

Are the anti-Romney ads being spewed by Obama mean that his black theology is bigoted against Romney and the Mormons?

Did the 20 years of listening to Wright convince Obama that all white people are devils?

And Compell Obama to construct a speed bump in the name of the Wrong Reverend Wright...and place him there?

So much idiocy...so little time.

Good point by the way.
icon14.gif

I Think what the op is saying is that anything white and conservative is also racist. It's a common perception among lowlife OWS parasites.

Only to someone predisposed to seeing everything through the prism of race... Like the OP.

I don't see everything through the prism of race. Neither do I refuse to see it when it's there.

The fact that you actually search for it in 'undercurrents' tells me all I need to know about you.

You 'see' things that aren't there, to bolster your claim of 'victim'.

Right out of the gate, the opinionator blows his integrity.

And it is a commentary, not CSM reporting.

1. Does the ad reference racial stereotypes?
Does the ad reference a longstanding racial stereotype historically associated with African-Americans? Does it state or suggest that President Obama is untrustworthy or prone toward criminality? Does it imply that he takes advantage of the system or is lazy?

A recent ad from the Romney campaign, for instance, has the effect of presenting the untrustworthiness stereotype, calling Obama’s statements “not true,” and “misleading.” Then the ad goes a step beyond, by saying, “but that’s Barack Obama,” that is, the kind of person who misleads and says things that are not true.

Now think about that. This bloviator is saying that calling Obama a liar is using a racial stereotype that black people are liars!

What about all the million other ads we have all seen where an opponent's statements are portrayed as "not true" and "misleading"?

This fucking asshole says that treating Obama EXACTLY THE SAME as every other politician has treated their opponents is RACIST?!?!

The left has ensured the longevity of the race card playing by deeming every other thing racist.

Calling Obama a liberal is racist. It wasn't racist with Clinton.

Calling Obama a liar is racist. It wasn't with virtually every past president.

Talking about welfare rolls increasing is racist. Even though statistics show this to be the case.

Telling the truth has become racist.

Not supporting Obamacare is racist.

Complaining about free cell phones or using EBT cards for tattoos and cigarettes is racist.

Supporting voter ID is racist.

Wanting closed borders and immigration laws upheld is racist.

Wanting to be successful and keep more of what you earn is racist.

Anything and everything even slightly negative is racist.

Meanwhile, Obama and the liberals bash wealthy white people. They paint all white people as greedy and racist. If you are doing well and you are white, you obtained your money by stealing wealth from it's rightful owners.

Obama was racist toward his own grandmother, the typical white person.

The left knows what they are doing here because they've played this game successfully for years. They have set the standards in such a way that you are racist if you oppose anything Obama has done.

Of course, it's all bullshit. Most people aren't racist. The left sees an inordinate amount of minorities not doing as well as non-minorities. Rather than address the real cause, which is government dependency and lowered standards, they accuse society of being responsible.

When the race card is played, it is done so to deflect from the root of the problem- lack of personal responsibility for one's own well being. Nanny government has ensured that many have given up their desire to soar on their own and have become stuck in the permanent rut that is welfare.

They use the race card to convince their dependents that they must continue voting for the rulers of the liberal plantation.

They can write all these editorials they want and maybe they even believe this shit, but it doesn't make any of it true.

Liberals need to ask themselves some questions. Has anything that people disagreed with Obama on things that people have disagreed with other presidents on, even though they were white. If so, it's not racist, but a difference in political ideology. I'm sure that somehow the left will claim that anything other than a far left agenda is racist.

Last edited:
Right out of the gate, the opinionator blows his integrity.

And it is a commentary, not CSM reporting.

1. Does the ad reference racial stereotypes?
Does the ad reference a longstanding racial stereotype historically associated with African-Americans? Does it state or suggest that President Obama is untrustworthy or prone toward criminality? Does it imply that he takes advantage of the system or is lazy?

A recent ad from the Romney campaign, for instance, has the effect of presenting the untrustworthiness stereotype, calling Obama’s statements “not true,” and “misleading.” Then the ad goes a step beyond, by saying, “but that’s Barack Obama,” that is, the kind of person who misleads and says things that are not true.

Now think about that. This bloviator is saying that calling Obama a liar is using a racial stereotype that black people are liars!

What about all the million other ads we have all seen where an opponent's statements are portrayed as "not true" and "misleading"?

This fucking asshole says that treating Obama EXACTLY THE SAME as every other politician has treated their opponents is RACIST?!?!

The left has ensured the longevity of the race card playing by deeming every other thing racist.

Calling Obama a liberal is racist. It wasn't racist with Clinton.

Calling Obama a liar is racist. It wasn't with virtually every past president.

Talking about welfare rolls increasing is racist. Even though statistics show this to be the case.

Telling the truth has become racist.

Not supporting Obamacare is racist.

Complaining about free cell phones or using EBT cards for tattoos and cigarettes is racist.

Supporting voter ID is racist.

Wanting closed borders and immigration laws upheld is racist.

Wanting to be successful and keep more of what you earn is racist.

Anything and everything even slightly negative is racist.

Meanwhile, Obama and the liberals bash wealthy white people. They paint all white people as greedy and racist. If you are doing well and you are white, you obtained your money by stealing wealth from it's rightful owners.

Obama was racist toward his own grandmother, the typical white person.

The left knows what they are doing here because they've played this game successfully for years. They have set the standards in such a way that you are racist if you oppose anything Obama has done.

Of course, it's all bullshit. Most people aren't racist. They see an inordinate amount of minorities not doing as well as non-minorities. Rather than address the real cause, which is government dependency and lowered standards, they accuse society of being responsible.

When the race card is played, it is done so to deflect from the root of the problem- lack of personal responsibility for one's own well being.

They use the race card to convince their dependents that they must continue voting for the rulers of the liberal plantation.

They can write all these editorials they want and maybe they even believe this shit, but it doesn't make any of it true.
Calling Obama cool or not cool enough is also racist, or racial. Bet you didn't know that.

True story.

The standard for what's "racist" when whites are involved is laughably low. It can be

* whites together in a room, and no Hispanics or blacks
* a white person simply using plural pronouns
* whites who look nice and upright, like the Romneys

The standard for what's "racist" when anyone else is involved is preposterously high. It can be

* a group called the "NAACP"
* a group that calls for the death of whites
* etc.

Romney is sadly no racist.

But if whites are going to survive as a race, they're going to need to GET RACIST.

The non-white brigades are descending. They feel ZERO guilt about our displacement and dispossession. We are WRACKED WITH GUILT for merely THINKING of opposing them.

This needs to change.

the fact is the msm would love to intimidate romney away from tough attacks on obama by telling the world that harsh criticism is racist. its not. its politics. mccain was afraid of the issue and he lost. if romney shies away he will lose too for sure. the fact is that race is an issue. obama knows that and plays it for all its worth (so just why did the democratic share of the black vote which for a long time was a rock solid 85% jump to 99% last election -- what motivated that?). while it might be unpleasant to some to see it out in the open, that is far better for our democracy than to see it swept under the rug.

interestingly we were told last election by the obama enablers in the media that rying to portray him as different, out of the mainstream, not one of "us" - for whatever reason was somehow wrong. yet that is exactly what the obama campaign has spent $100 million and the past months trying to do to mitt romney. there is nothing wrong with that and romney should do the same thing -- bring on reverend wright for starters.

So tired of the race card.. No matter what the ad says the left will consider something racist even if its not. When they are not winning they call it racist.. Get over it already ..

I wish I had said that. No matter what we say they can find a way to call us racist. Take a llook at the Rev Wright where Obama learned some of his education. What was he? It take one to know one.

Libturds can dish it, but they whine like hell when they're taking it.

The standard for what's "racist" when whites are involved is laughably low. It can be

* whites together in a room, and no Hispanics or blacks
* a white person simply using plural pronouns
* whites who look nice and upright, like the Romneys

The standard for what's "racist" when anyone else is involved is preposterously high. It can be

* a group called the "NAACP"
* a group that calls for the death of whites
* etc.

Romney is sadly no racist.

But if whites are going to survive as a race, they're going to need to GET RACIST.

The non-white brigades are descending. They feel ZERO guilt about our displacement and dispossession. We are WRACKED WITH GUILT for merely THINKING of opposing them.

This needs to change.

Let me see if I've got this straight, and please feel free to clear up any misunderstanding.

Particular groups of whites are NOT racist, but they need to GET racist? I ask because I think the contention among many is that these certain groups never stopped BEING racist in the first place. Now, I ask you which of the following statements is more likely to be true:

Group X used to be racist, stopped being racist, and is now in the process of perhaps becoming racist again because 'non-white brigades are descending'. OR

Group X never stopped being racist.

Last edited:
Race baiting: Would that include referring to "typical white people" and "if I had a son, he'd look like Travyon" or "I don''t have all the facts but the police officer was clearly racist"... that kind of thing?

This article is from the Christin Science Monitor, which is hardly a leftist publication. But the paper IS actually well-known for avoiding sensationalism in its reporting. Charlton McIlwain and Stephen M. Caliendo are the authors. They actually wrote a book on the subject titled:

"Race Appeal: How Candidates Invoke Race in U.S. Political Campaigns"

On a personal note, I'm not calling Mitt Romney a racist. Frankly, I'm not even inferring it. However, you don't have to BE a racist to have a campaign that's willing to appeal to racist attitudes if and when you and your people think doing so can help you win an election.

In the presidential election, it’s not a matter of whether racism will appear in campaign messaging, but when. President Obama is running for reelection with the support of the majority of black and Latino voters. Mitt Romney is challenging Mr. Obama with an almost exclusively white constituency behind him. Both candidates will raise and spend unprecedented amounts of money on political advertisements, as will their respective parties and allied super PACs.

A crucial question is: How will we know when pro-Romney ads are potentially racist? It’s not always so easy to recognize.

Reasonable people will disagree about whether an ad appeals to race in an innocuous or outright racist way. This is why we developed the Index of Racist Potential. It is based on the content of more than 1,000 political advertisements we analyzed that were sponsored by candidates in federal election contests from 1972 through 2006 and that included at least one candidate of color (black or Latino). The index measures the degree that a given ad has the potential to evoke – consciously or unconsciously – voters’ stereotypical attitudes about people of color, regardless of the intent of the candidate or campaign team.

From the ads we analyzed, we found that black candidates certainly “use” race (directly or indirectly) in their ads, but they don’t reinforce widely held negative racial stereotypes about whites or flame fear of minorities. In other words, “race” may be present in the ad, but that presence isn’t “racist.”

Our index is based on the presence or absence of fairly objective content that appears in an ad. To determine whether a television or Web ad this presidential election season would score on the higher end (more racist) of our index, ask yourself these five sets of questions.

3. Are all the people surrounding a Romney white?

If there are other people in the ad besides Mitt Romney, are they all white? Having people surrounding a candidate in a political ad sends the message that those people are whom the candidate ostensibly represents. Featuring an all-white cast of supporters alongside a white candidate makes an inherent critical contrast. It says that “we” whites, represented by Mitt Romney, are different than “those” people.

In a two-and-a-half minute ad Romney ran last month he spoke at length about “Americans,” about how “we” are tired. He talked about “all of the thousands of good and decent Americans” who “love AmericaYet of the dozens of images included in the epic ad, every single person is white, making the association clear: “We” “good and decent” Americans who “love America” look like the folks featured in this ad.

Is a pro-Romney ad racist? Five questions to ask yourself - Does the ad reference racial stereotypes? - CSMonitor.com
Edit to add information and reviews on their book.

Charlton McIlwain, Stephen M. Caliendo: Race Appeal

So at worst the Romney campaign will use dem tactics.

Where is it I am supposed to feel bad for you?

Romney doesnt see race....His religion just thinks that black people are cursed and ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwwAaVmnf4]Mitt Romney - Who Let the Dogs Out? - YouTube[/ame]

Race baiting: Would that include referring to "typical white people" and "if I had a son, he'd look like Travyon" or "I don''t have all the facts but the police officer was clearly racist"... that kind of thing?

It might. It depends on who's saying it and the context.

I realize that Obama said the first item in relationship to his grandmother who he was attempting to describe as not atypical. Here's what he said in total.
"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know (pause) there's a reaction in her that doesn't go away and it comes out in the wrong way."​
Who here hasn't seen someone on the street, perhaps late at night, and imagined the worst if it's a young person of another race who looks potentially dangerous, maybe for no other reason than the way he's dressed? I certainly don't think that Obama harbored racist feelings toward his grandmother. Do you?

The second statement about Trayvon is factually true.

I don't believe Obama ever uttered the third statement. I recall he said that the cop acted 'stupidly'. So, perhaps you can find a reputable link (an audio/video would be best) of Obama (or whomever you're claiming made that statement) saying those words.

But I'm not really much into the whole "what about THIS" kind of response. Here's a question for the board. If and when you see racism (or you THINK you see racism), do you ever see it being committed by people who are the same race as you? I ask that question because I've never seen a conservative acknowledge racism in the real world unless they're offering examples of how white people are the victims of it.

It might. It depends on who's saying it and the context.

I realize that Obama said the first item in relationship to his grandmother who he was attempting to describe as not atypical. Here's what he said in total.
"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know (pause) there's a reaction in her that doesn't go away and it comes out in the wrong way."​
Who here hasn't seen someone on the street, perhaps late at night, and imagined the worst if it's a young person of another race who looks potentially dangerous, maybe for no other reason than the way he's dressed? I certainly don't think that Obama harbored racist feelings toward his grandmother. Do you?

The second statement about Trayvon is factually true.

I don't believe Obama ever uttered the third statement. I recall he said that the cop acted 'stupidly'. So, perhaps you can find a reputable link (an audio/video would be best) of Obama (or whomever you're claiming made that statement) saying those words.

But I'm not really much into the whole "what about THIS" kind of response. Here's a question for the board. If and when you see racism (or you THINK you see racism), do you ever see it being committed by people who are the same race as you? I ask that question because I've never seen a conservative acknowledge racism in the real world unless they're offering examples of how white people are the victims of it.

Nobody here has ever heard racist comments coming from people of their own race? Odd, because I sure have. Am I supposed to believe that, unlike me, nobody else here has ever witnessed or heard such statements being made by people the same race as themselves? To be precise, I'm not talking about your friends or people you know well. Maybe it's just something you hear when you're out somewhere. Or perhaps someone just says something in your presence or within earshot.

Forum List

Back