Is a pro-Romney ad racist? Five questions to ask yourself

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mustang, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Mustang

Mustang Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    This article is from the Christin Science Monitor, which is hardly a leftist publication. But the paper IS actually well-known for avoiding sensationalism in its reporting. Charlton McIlwain and Stephen M. Caliendo are the authors. They actually wrote a book on the subject titled:

"Race Appeal: How Candidates Invoke Race in U.S. Political Campaigns"

On a personal note, I'm not calling Mitt Romney a racist. Frankly, I'm not even inferring it. However, you don't have to BE a racist to have a campaign that's willing to appeal to racist attitudes if and when you and your people think doing so can help you win an election.

Edit to add information and reviews on their book.

http://www.temple.edu/tempress/titles/2101_reg.html

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,966
  3. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,525
    Right out of the gate, the opinionator blows his integrity.

And it is a commentary, not CSM reporting.

Now think about that. This bloviator is saying that calling Obama a liar is using a racial stereotype that black people are liars!

What about all the million other ads we have all seen where an opponent's statements are portrayed as "not true" and "misleading"?

This fucking asshole says that treating Obama EXACTLY THE SAME as every other politician has treated their opponents is RACIST?!?!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Mustang

Mustang Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    The author explained how the ad presented a stereotype of Black men being untrustworthy.

But let's put that issue aside for the time being.

I have never claimed that every accusation of racism in the campaign is valid. Sometimes, on the surface, the evidence looks flimsy. But just because the evidence in one or more cases may appear to be weak, it doesn't mean that it's not happening in any of the cases as some people would have everyone believe. It also doesn't mean that there isn't a tone, or an undercurrent of racism, if you want to look at it that way, which is essentially part of a larger campaign theme, as opposed to some isolated series of unrelated events.

The thing about racism today is that it's not anywhere near as socially acceptable to come right out and say it plainly like it was 50 plus years ago when George Wallace was the Governor of Alabama. That means it's generally going to be fairly subtle when it happens, like in the ad I highlighted in the OP.

5. GuyPinestra

GuyPinestra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    What a bunch of horseshit! Fucking liberals will contort themselves into pretzels to make an accusation of racism. This 'commentary' is just another example.

We're supposed to look for 'undercurrents'? Give me a break!

6. Mustang

Mustang Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    This country has a long, Long, LONG history of racism. The idea that it doesn't exist anymore is preposterous. The only real question is whether or not politicians would be willing to exploit latent racism or racist fears to hopefully cobble together enough votes to win. Frankly, considering all the charges I've heard coming from various quarters that Obama is a foreign-born 'Mooslim,' it's not a stretch of the imagination in the least, especially since it's an exceedingly rare event for a Republican to step up and openly refute those accusations.

7. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,525
    No, he did not. He committed a strawman fallacy.

Are you telling me you have never seen a political ad that did not portray an opponent as saying something that was "not true" or "misleading"?

Are you telling me the only time you have seen that is in an anti-Obama ad?

8. Lovebears65

Lovebears65 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,034
    So tired of the race card.. No matter what the ad says the left will consider something racist even if its not. When they are not winning they call it racist.. Get over it already ..

9. Mustang

Mustang Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    Did you not read what I said two sentences later at the beginning of the third paragraph? I'll repeat it.
    "I have never claimed that every accusation of racism in the campaign is valid."
    An additional point to make is this: Since this is the first presidential election since the Citizens United ruling, there will be PLENTY of outside groups with their own money to run ads independently <cough> of the RNC and the Romney campaign. I mean, let's face it. Campaigns have been using surrogate attack dogs for just about forever. And now these surrogates not only have big bucks to back up their ad campaigns, they can remain anonymous, as well.

10. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I wish I had said that. No matter what we say they can find a way to call us racist. Take a llook at the Rev Wright where Obama learned some of his education. What was he? It take one to know one.