Irene: the unserious crisis that Obama didn’t let go to waste

Some of it is far. Bush did faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr too little in Katrina. He should have cut his vacation short and been on duty.

Some of it is not. Obama seemed to have learned all the lessons from Bush and was available and plugged into the situation

What possible difference in either case does it make whether the President cuts his vacation short or not make? And Obama was actually chased away by the hurricane coming to his vacation spot, he didn't have a choice to leave.

New Orleans was a tragedy, but it was caused by the people of Louisiana who created a crisis waiting to happen the way New Orleans was built and electing endless corrupt regimes who did no planning to avert a disaster. Until Katrina it was not the Federal government's job to take the lead in disasters. California took the lead in the earthquakes, Florida took the lead in their hurricanes. It was Katrina where suddenly the US government was responsible and the President personally at fault. It's a load. New Orleans was a disaster directly created by the irresponsible majority of voters in Louisiana. P-e-r-i-o-d.

Some of it is far. Bush did faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr too little in Katrina. He should have cut his vacation short and been on duty.

Some of it is not. Obama seemed to have learned all the lessons from Bush and was available and plugged into the situation

What possible difference in either case does it make whether the President cuts his vacation short or not make? And Obama was actually chased away by the hurricane coming to his vacation spot, he didn't have a choice to leave.

New Orleans was a tragedy, but it was caused by the people of Louisiana who created a crisis waiting to happen the way New Orleans was built and electing endless corrupt regimes who did no planning to avert a disaster. Until Katrina it was not the Federal government's job to take the lead in disasters. California took the lead in the earthquakes, Florida took the lead in their hurricanes. It was Katrina where suddenly the US government was responsible and the President personally at fault. It's a load. New Orleans was a disaster directly created by the irresponsible majority of voters in Louisiana. P-e-r-i-o-d.

Actually, after 9/11 the Homeland Security department, with Bush's approval, made themselves duty bound first responders. But he and they shirked that duty.

And FEMA has always helped Florida in hurricanes.

OTHER THAN REPUBLICANS who know how to run a competent organization.

When did Republicans ever do anything competently, Let alone RUN something competently? Hell, The RNC alone is millions in debt... This is what happens when the only thing that matters is short-term profit. They can't think long-term, or at least it seems that way.

Last edited:

You mean other then being the leader of the nation and in charge of a vast arsenal of federal resources? Nothing. Nothing at all.

I guess he should have stayed on his porch learning how to play guitar like Bush. We all saw how well that turned out.

If Bush was a leader, he'd have been on the ground the day after, assessed the situation, figured out "Brownie" was incompetent and fired his dumbass. Not the usual Bush "Rah Rah" - "you are doing a hell of a job, Brownie."

The Corps of Engineers maintains responsibility for the levees, canals, and MRGO.

The Corps of Engineers is a federal entity.

Fail.

Though I do agree, it's better for the states to take care of themselves. However, when you have the greatest natural disaster in the nation's history, it might be appropriate for the federal government to step in.

Especially when the governor of the state, Blanco, is an incompetent moron.

When did Republicans ever do anything competently, Let alone RUN something competently? Hell, The RNC alone is millions in debt... This is what happens when the only thing that matters is short-term profit. They can't think long-term, or at least it seems that way.

Those successful guys who have seized all the wealth and ruined everything Obama has tried are incompetent.

Those successful guys who have seized all the wealth and ruined everything Obama has tried are incompetent.

Not at all. It's not hard to amass wealth when you pay the government to write policy only in your favor. And you guys turn around and give them even more voice in our electoral process, so this will never end? Morons. What have they ruined that he has tried to do other than have a public option that 78% of people in this country want? And I do believe we will get a public co-op sooner than later.

Here's what they HAVE been competent at:

They have ruined our economy (for short term profit), our credit rating (for short term profit), our middle class (for short term profit) and our job security (for short term profit). They also invaded Iraq (for short term profit) and are effectively destroying this country (for short term profit).

Last edited:
I found it quite interesting that we were getting weather updates from the president. Why would the Commander-in-Chief man the 24-hour weather channel to tell the American people that hurricane Irene could be an historic hurricane? Could it have anything to do with his abysmal approval rating and the fact that his administration’s philosophy is, “Never let a serious crisis go to waste.” (see 8sec.video)

The fact is Politicians and the Media hyped hurricane Irene for political expediency. Toby Harnden outlines the strange relationship between press and politicians in his article, “Perfect Storm of Hype: Politicians, the media and the Hurricane Irene apocalypse that never was.” (see article) Read more... Creating Orwellian Worldview

The last I heard, 43 deaths were attibuted to the "unserious crisis" otherwise known as hurricane (and later, tropical storm) Irene.

You mean other then being the leader of the nation and in charge of a vast arsenal of federal resources? Nothing. Nothing at all.

I guess he should have stayed on his porch learning how to play guitar like Bush. We all saw how well that turned out.

If Bush was a leader, he'd have been on the ground the day after, assessed the situation, figured out "Brownie" was incompetent and fired his dumbass. Not the usual Bush "Rah Rah" - "you are doing a hell of a job, Brownie."

The Corps of Engineers maintains responsibility for the levees, canals, and MRGO.

The Corps of Engineers is a federal entity.

Fail.

Though I do agree, it's better for the states to take care of themselves. However, when you have the greatest natural disaster in the nation's history, it might be appropriate for the federal government to step in.

Especially when the governor of the state, Blanco, is an incompetent moron.
Blanco did do some things wrong, but it certainly wasn't her fault that Bush wanted to take over her state.

Anywho, FEMA's job is to help in emergencies that are deemed too big for the state to handle on their own. And since we all pay taxes for that help, we certainly deserve to get it.

Obama had to respond to each governor's request to declare a federal emergency so funds and help could be released.

I found it quite interesting that we were getting weather updates from the president. Why would the Commander-in-Chief man the 24-hour weather channel to tell the American people that hurricane Irene could be an historic hurricane? Could it have anything to do with his abysmal approval rating and the fact that his administration’s philosophy is, “Never let a serious crisis go to waste.” (see 8sec.video)

The fact is Politicians and the Media hyped hurricane Irene for political expediency. Toby Harnden outlines the strange relationship between press and politicians in his article, “Perfect Storm of Hype: Politicians, the media and the Hurricane Irene apocalypse that never was.” (see article) Read more... Creating Orwellian Worldview

And if for some reason, Irene had picked up to a Category 3 and hit New York or any other major metropolitan areas with a much bigger impact killing two or three thousand people, then you would be the first on here asking what Obama was doing and why he didn't have us better prepared. The shit some of you come up with trying to score points is just fucking unbelievable.

Awe, Infidel neg repped me cuz he's a pussy who doesn't like the truth. You such a big boy Infidel. :lol:

Actually, after 9/11 the Homeland Security department, with Bush's approval, made themselves duty bound first responders. But he and they shirked that duty.

Link?

And FEMA has always helped Florida in hurricanes.

This is exactly what I said, the Federal government always helped.

Let us join hands in prayer...

Thank you, Barry 0bama, for using your experience to downgrade this storm to something that was less powerful...

Amen....

My, my, really demonstrating what a fucking idiot you truly are.

Associated Press

Insurers have paid out claims totaling almost $25 billion in this year's disasters— compared with the typical $30 billion total for a whole year — and peak hurricane season is less than halfway through.

Hurricanes often account for half of the industry's annual payout.

Tropical Storm Irene was the 10th U.S. weather disaster this year to have caused more than $1 billion in damage, the National Weather Service says. Even in inflation-adjusted dollars, that's the largest number of major events in 30 years of record-keeping.

Here's a look at this year's biggest weather catastrophes, by estimated cost:

— Tropical Storm Irene (Aug. 27-28): The first big storm of the Atlantic hurricane season threatened population centers along the East Coast. It caused extensive flooding and some wind damage but weakened before hitting the most populated areas. It has led to the deaths of 38 people in 11 states.

Cost: $3 billion to $5 billion in insured losses; estimated $7 billion total.

Let us join hands in prayer...

Thank you, Barry 0bama, for using your experience to downgrade this storm to something that was less powerful...

Amen....

My, my, really demonstrating what a fucking idiot you truly are.

Associated Press

Insurers have paid out claims totaling almost $25 billion in this year's disasters— compared with the typical $30 billion total for a whole year — and peak hurricane season is less than halfway through.

Hurricanes often account for half of the industry's annual payout.

Tropical Storm Irene was the 10th U.S. weather disaster this year to have caused more than $1 billion in damage, the National Weather Service says. Even in inflation-adjusted dollars, that's the largest number of major events in 30 years of record-keeping.

Here's a look at this year's biggest weather catastrophes, by estimated cost:

— Tropical Storm Irene (Aug. 27-28): The first big storm of the Atlantic hurricane season threatened population centers along the East Coast. It caused extensive flooding and some wind damage but weakened before hitting the most populated areas. It has led to the deaths of 38 people in 11 states.

Cost: $3 billion to $5 billion in insured losses; estimated $7 billion total.

Forum List

Back