Iraqi Tribunal Sentences Saddam to Death Merged With Breaking News

This may have been previously noted: regardless of being condemned to hang, Saddam is going to be around for a very long time. He is 69 years old. Considering the appeals and numerous prosecutions that remain, he will probably die of old age.

This may have been previously noted: regardless of being condemned to hang, Saddam is going to be around for a very long time. He is 69 years old. Considering the appeals and numerous prosecutions that remain, he will probably die of old age.

From what I've read he gets one appeal in front of nine judges and then he has to be executed within 30 days. Iraq is not America in that regard.

From what I've read he gets one appeal in front of nine judges and then he has to be executed within 30 days. Iraq is not America in that regard.

From what I've read, the judges have 'unlimited time' but when it comes to death penalty, seems Islamics work pretty quick.

But there are numerous offenses for which he is still to be tried. No way is he going to be executed after one appeal and after being convicted of one crime. What about all the other offenses? For example, using chemical weapons against the Kurds, slaughter of thousands of Shiites after the first Gulf War, unprovoked attack against Iran, war crimes against Kuwait, etc. Those prosecutions must still take place. Saddam’s "execution" will drag out for a very long time as those prosecutions take place.

But there are numerous offenses for which he is still to be tried. No way is he going to be executed after one appeal and after being convicted of one crime. What about all the other offenses? For example, using chemical weapons against the Kurds, slaughter of thousands of Shiites after the first Gulf War, unprovoked attack against Iran, war crimes against Kuwait, etc. Those prosecutions must still take place. Saddam’s "execution" will drag out for a very long time as those prosecutions take place.

They can't take more than 30 days to execute him as far as I know. I doubt they'll ever try him for the chemical weapons. He'd have to say where he got them from.

Do you think so or are you just spinning? Do you see anything with the political scene in Iraq that is in GW's favor?

He deserves to pay for his crimes. But so to do his enablers...Remember that picture of Rummy and Saddam smiling, shaking hands and generally making nice with each other?

And no, I've seen nothing that has come from the debacle in Iraq that is in Chimpy's favor. Unless you count his bid for unprecedented power as a "war-time" president, and that benefits only him and his merry band.

He deserves to pay for his crimes. But so to do his enablers...Remember that picture of Rummy and Saddam smiling, shaking hands and generally making nice with each other?

And no, I've seen nothing that has come from the debacle in Iraq that is in Chimpy's favor. Unless you count his bid for unprecedented power as a "war-time" president, and that benefits only him and his merry band.

Which is why this is not a 'Bush conspiracy' type of thing. Nighty night.

They can't take more than 30 days to execute him as far as I know. I doubt they'll ever try him for the chemical weapons. He'd have to say where he got them from.
You mean that in Iraq one can be accused of numerous capital offenses, and after conviction on the first charge, the legal system blows off all the other charges and everyone associated with those cases are never heard in court? Moreover, it will forever remain that the charges are unproved? If he is not to be tried on all of his other offenses, then the legal system in Iraq is not interested in justice for all those he transgressed and setting the historical record straight. He should not be executed now. He should be tried on every crime for which he is accused.

You mean that in Iraq one can be accused of numerous capital offenses, and after conviction on the first charge, the legal system blows off all the other charges and everyone associated with those cases are never heard in court? Moreover, it will forever remain that the charges are unproved? If he is not to be tried on all of his other offenses, then the legal system in Iraq is not interested in justice for all those he transgressed and setting the historical record straight. He should not be executed now. He should be tried on every crime for which he is accused.

Sorry. I wouldn't know. I don't do criminal law even in this country and know only what's been in the news today on Iraq's procedures. And what I heard is that after the appellate panel reviews the conviction, assuming they uphold it, they have 30 days to carry out the sentence.

But you have to ask yourself if anyone in this administration really cares if he is called to task on the chemicals when he was our boy at the time, standing against Iran as our surrogate and he was all cozy with Rummy when Rummy was CEO of Searle (now a subsidiary of Pfizer).

Man that Rove.......

Pretty brilliant on his part, to be in cahoots with the Iraqi courts, and have them announce Saddam's verdict two day before our election...

:banana:

But you have to ask yourself if anyone in this administration really cares if he is called to task on the chemicals when he was our boy at the time, standing against Iran as our surrogate and he was all cozy with Rummy when Rummy was CEO of Searle (now a subsidiary of Pfizer).
That is not relevant to the thousands of Iraqis, and others, that will never get their day in court or justice served pertaining to all the offenses for which Saddam is accused. And in this case it is crucial that the historical record is supported by empirical evidence, not just accusations that were never demonstrated and proven in court.

That is not relevant to the thousands of Iraqis, and others, that will never get their day in court or justice served pertaining to all the offenses for which Saddam is accused. And in this case it is crucial that the historical record is supported by empirical evidence, not just accusations that were never demonstrated and proven in court.

I can't say I disagree with you. But I try to be realistic about the politics involved. I also think those who were complicit should be called to task, but that won't happen either.

As I understand it, he has 30 for appeal.... Anyone with more info would be welcome to chime in....

Doesn't matter where he got them. He in fact did NOT get them from the US. The CIA taught his chemists how to refine mustard gas to make it more effective. Everyone already knows it, and nobody cares.

If I give you a gun that doesn't mean you have to use it.

I really can't say I agree with you on this one. How many times can one be executed? That's a mindset I don't get. A guy gets convicted of mass murder for slicing and dicing 10 people, but because there wasn't evidence to prove he murdered the 11th when it's obvious he did, so there's no satisfaction?

You aren't really talking about justice, IMO. You want vengeance.

Sorry. I wouldn't know. I don't do criminal law even in this country and know only what's been in the news today on Iraq's procedures. And what I heard is that after the appellate panel reviews the conviction, assuming they uphold it, they have 30 days to carry out the sentence.

You exaggerate. Saddam was not "our boy." He was provided with minimal support -- mostly logistical and technical, he got his weapons from the Soviets and French.

Any support on our part is a matter of public record, and nobody cares, so you're wasting your breath attempting to make Saddam out to be some kind of US creation.

Again, nobody forced him to use anything.

Forum List

Back