Iraq War Vet told to remove Stars and Stripes

Today, on CNN, I saw the following story.....

Seems that an Iraq war veteran who is now a civilian, is in trouble with his job. He's a fire fighter, who, in a fit of patriotism (imagine that....a soldier with patriotism), he painted the Stars and Stripes on his helmet.

Now, they're telling him that he's gotta stop, and remove it from his helmet.

My question is, with all the rhetorical bullshit, as well as all the fake patriotism crap that the current admin has shoved down our throats, what is wrong with this?

Nope......I say let him keep his helmet just the way it is.

Where in the Flag Code does it allow fire fighters to willy nilly put flags anywhere they want on their uniform?

I say let him keep it too, but no doubt, the fire department is run by a Democrat.

Maybe its run by someone who understands the U.S. flag code. The US flag is not to be used as a piece of clothing except under very narrowly defined circumstances. One is a firefighter's UNIFORM - anything out of uniform is not part of that exception.

Maybe its run by someone who understands the U.S. flag code. The US flag is not to be used as a piece of clothing except under very narrowly defined circumstances. One is a firefighter's UNIFORM - anything out of uniform is not part of that exception.
:clap2:
No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.

Flag Code

yea, and as I said, THERE IS NOTHING ELSE ON THAT PAGE. that pic, and the patch above. Again, were I not already convinced that you are too stupid to do so I'd accuse you of posting some quick code just to win this argument.

I got to that page from this one:

http://www.yadkinville.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={2F9D38E2-14D4-4912-96F8-F7D3F060AAAD}

It was legit.

Today, on CNN, I saw the following story.....

Seems that an Iraq war veteran who is now a civilian, is in trouble with his job. He's a fire fighter, who, in a fit of patriotism (imagine that....a soldier with patriotism), he painted the Stars and Stripes on his helmet.

Now, they're telling him that he's gotta stop, and remove it from his helmet.

My question is, with all the rhetorical bullshit, as well as all the fake patriotism crap that the current admin has shoved down our throats, what is wrong with this?

Nope......I say let him keep his helmet just the way it is.

what a poser this guy probably is. we got a name for the tattood up troopers around here. Pretenders. fuck nugget probably sorted out mail. Take the shit off the fuckin helmet and save a cat stuck in a tree.

Gimme a GD break. I already proved that there is no such code. In fact customizing a helmet is more typical than not, since it allows the guy to identify his gear quickly. It ain't at all the same as 'coating the outside of a jacket'. :cuckoo:

You proved that there is no rules regarding uniforms in the case we are discussing?

I don't think so.

What happens in other fire departments is irrelevant.

In what way?
Like: 'this is mine and you don't mess with it'. When I lived in Upstate NY we had a VFD that occupied an entire old school building, about 40,000 sf. This was a village of about 6000 and a force of 20 or so. Their building maintenance and utility costs were astronomical. The Town Hall needed to be replaced and some of us got together and asked the FD to have the town take over a portion of the building. All they needed was 3 of the 10 or so classrooms. I did an inventory myself and found that the FD only needed one, and that was for their exercise room. We might just as well have asked them to sleep with their wives.

Where in the flag code? People have the stars and stripes, or portions of it, on their clothing all over. I don't see any disrespect there at all.

ravi already posted it.
USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

* (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
* (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
* (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
* (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
* (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
* (f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
* (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
* (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
* (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
* (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
* (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning

Forum List

Back