Iraq War Vet told to remove Stars and Stripes

Gluck and Willow are just a couple of right wing anal sphincters with the Dem comment.

There are, however, OSHA standards in some cases that prohibit writing or painting on certain safety equipment. I don't know if this applies here.

In some cases, the paint or marker weakens the material.

* (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
Obviously that's open to a lot of interpretation, isn't it. But less so here, since the guy's a fireman.

Gimme a GD break. I already proved that there is no such code. In fact customizing a helmet is more typical than not, since it allows the guy to identify his gear quickly. It ain't at all the same as 'coating the outside of a jacket'. :cuckoo:

OK, if that is the case. If customizing your helmet is typical, even if there was a code, then making this guy remove the stars and strips is wrong!

And the helmet is part of the uniform, no?
Yes, it is, but I'm not sure if you can consider a sticker a patch. And as a replica, it's supposed to be worn by his heart, not on his head.

The guy talked about in the op wasn't using a patch of any description.

Yes, it is, but I'm not sure if you can consider a sticker a patch. And as a replica, it's supposed to be worn by his heart, not on his head.

Wow. :cuckoo:

This is the problem I have with rabid liberals such as yourself. Even when the facts are clear you decide to see gray if you don't agree with them. And you can never, ever, admit that you are wrong. :eusa_hand:

here's a link with picture. it looks pretty cheesy, IMO. Newton,BTW, is in the process of building a $200MM high school, maybe this is for comic relief.

edit-it's not a flag so flag code doesn't apply.

Firefighter under fire for flag on helmet

here's a link with picture. it looks pretty cheesy, IMO. Newton,BTW, is in the process of building a $200MM high school, maybe this is for comic relief.

edit-it not a flag so flag code doesn't apply.

Firefighter under fire for flag on helmet
Looks good to me, artistic, actually, and certainly not disrespectful of the flag or the uniform.
081216_newton_ff_helmet.jpg

so, what was the main complaint about a firefighter having a flag painted on his helmet?

Mayor Cohen responds to firefighter's decorated helmet

Like all Americans, I salute Firefighter Busa's service to our nation. We are all indebted to the men and women who have served overseas to protect our freedom back home.

At issue is not patriotism or freedom of speech however. There are clear regulations governing firefighters' uniforms. In fact, Chief LaCroix has permitted exceptions to these regulations, allowing for smaller stickers (including American flags, a symbol of solidarity with the six firefighters who died in the line of duty in Worcester and with the victims of 9/11, shamrocks, etc.) to be affixed to helmets. Firefighter Busa has covered his entire helmet in red, white and blue, stripes and some stars, ostensibly to represent the flag. This goes beyond what Chief LaCroix , himself a veteran of the Vietnam conflict, felt was acceptable.

I believe the two main issues for the Chief were (1) precedence, and (2) the importance of his people to follow and respect rules and orders. If Chief LaCroix allows Firefighter Busa's display on his helmet, then he is allowing every firefighter in the Department to decorate theirs as well. It is the duty of Chief LaCroix's to maintain a level of professionalism within his department. If we had 160 different decorations on each firefighter helmet, that would be compromised. Furthermore, while most of us can agree that displaying an American flag is not offensive - far from it - by allowing each firefighter the descretion to choose his or her display, it is easy to see how other choices for display could be offensive to others. Secondly, rules and regulations are in place to maintain the integrity of the chain of command, and also to protect the safety of firefighters. It simply cannot be up to firefighters to choose which rules they decide to follow.

Finally, I would add helmets are part of their City issued uniforms and are City property. They also undergo NFPA certification as part of the protective ensemble firefighters are to wear. Any modification made to them compromises their certification, and in some cases may threaten firefighter safety (ie. covering up reflective material). The helmet is designed to protect firefighters, and they are not canvasses for firefighters' self expression.

I am hopeful that the matter can be resolved quickly and fairly, so the men and women of the Newton Fire Department can return to their important work of protecting the safety and property of the residents of Newton without further distraction.

I wish each of you a safe and happy holiday season.

Mayor David Cohen
City of Newton, Ma

To anyone who doesn't know this City, it is controlled entirely by liberal Jews. This sorry excuse about NFPA certification is pretty pitiful.

Forum List

Back