Iran's "supreme leader" is losing it

He's already done that. But he's not about to say anything that will further escalate civil war in Iran. Or has everyone already forgotten the outcome resulting from all the adventures in Iraq where the U.S. got stuck in the middle of a civil war...

That's a truly bizarre statement to suggest that if this president delivered a robust statement in support of democracy and human rights we would end up with 140,000 troops in Iran. Huh??? The fact is that Obama has no track record supporting democracy and human rights so the Iranian people have no way of knowing where he stands. They did know that the Bush administration supported democratic change in Iran, but Obama has made a point of saying all his policies with respect to Iran are different. The Iranians who have been able to follow Obama's career so far have every reason to think he is interested in what is happening there only so far as it will effect his and his party's political fortunes here.

Now you're just venturing into bullshit mode. Reza Pahlavi is the son of the former Shah of Iran. And one can assume he knows a helluva lot more about his own people than you do.

Letter to The Honorable Barack Obama
Reza Pahlavi
November 5th, 2008

Dear Mr. President-elect,

It is with a great pleasure that I offer you my heartfelt congratulations on your historic election victory.

This is indeed a proud moment not just for America, but for millions of others around the globe who have come to believe in and aspire for the kind of values that have become universally acknowledged as the hallmarks of American society. Your success is a remarkable reminder of the potential for promoting major change through the ballot box in a free and fair electoral process.

Mr. President-Elect,

The prospect for change as promised by you has already aroused a great deal of expectation from people everywhere who are hopeful of emulating your example by constructing societies based on peace, freedom, justice and opportunity.

No where is the desire for such change greater than in my homeland, Iran.

The people of Iran are perhaps amongst the most eager aspirants for the kind of values that have become synonymous with your success in the recent months. Iranians believe ‘that if allowed the opportunity, yes they will’.

It is their hope that with your moral and vocal support, they too can pursue their struggle for the realization of their individual liberties and fundamental freedoms along with the restoration of their pride and dignity as human beings.

Wishing you ever increasing success in all your future endeavors,

Yours sincerely,

Reza Pahlavi

///
And here he is commenting on the election.

Pro-Shah Iranians call for regime change - Yahoo! News
Reza can kiss ass with the best of them
LOL
if you think he is for anything but his own self interest, you are far more deluded than i have previously thought
Reza is hoping to get back to the power his Dad had

MM, you don't get that he needed to stand with the protestors, not regarding the election, but the right to make demands. That wasn't happening on the 16th and surely isn't today.

What more do you want him to do? Fly over there and march with them? Uh oh, can't do that. Then he'd be criticized about how much it cost Air Force One to make the trip.

IT IS FUCKING CLEAR THAT HE STANDS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PROTESTING.
maggie, you really need to get your head out of Obama's ass, for two reasons, one, so you can get some fresh air for a change, and two, i think he'd like to get a bit closer to being able to sit for a change

Ain't gonna happen, asshole, until you can prove me wrong. How about trying to do that for a change instead of calling me names constantly?

What more do you want him to do? Fly over there and march with them? Uh oh, can't do that. Then he'd be criticized about how much it cost Air Force One to make the trip.

maggie, you really need to get your head out of Obama's ass, for two reasons, one, so you can get some fresh air for a change, and two, i think he'd like to get a bit closer to being able to sit for a change

Ain't gonna happen, asshole, until you can prove me wrong. How about trying to do that for a change instead of calling me names constantly?
of course it aint gonna happen
LOL

you are quite firmly ensconced

That's a truly bizarre statement to suggest that if this president delivered a robust statement in support of democracy and human rights we would end up with 140,000 troops in Iran. Huh??? The fact is that Obama has no track record supporting democracy and human rights so the Iranian people have no way of knowing where he stands. They did know that the Bush administration supported democratic change in Iran, but Obama has made a point of saying all his policies with respect to Iran are different. The Iranians who have been able to follow Obama's career so far have every reason to think he is interested in what is happening there only so far as it will effect his and his party's political fortunes here.

Now you're just venturing into bullshit mode. Reza Pahlavi is the son of the former Shah of Iran. And one can assume he knows a helluva lot more about his own people than you do.

Reza Pahlavi
November 5th, 2008

It is with a great pleasure that I offer you my heartfelt congratulations on your historic election victory.

This is indeed a proud moment not just for America, but for millions of others around the globe who have come to believe in and aspire for the kind of values that have become universally acknowledged as the hallmarks of American society. Your success is a remarkable reminder of the potential for promoting major change through the ballot box in a free and fair electoral process.

Mr. President-Elect,

The prospect for change as promised by you has already aroused a great deal of expectation from people everywhere who are hopeful of emulating your example by constructing societies based on peace, freedom, justice and opportunity.

The people of Iran are perhaps amongst the most eager aspirants for the kind of values that have become synonymous with your success in the recent months. Iranians believe ‘that if allowed the opportunity, yes they will’.

It is their hope that with your moral and vocal support, they too can pursue their struggle for the realization of their individual liberties and fundamental freedoms along with the restoration of their pride and dignity as human beings.

Yours sincerely,

Reza Pahlavi

///

LOL
if you think he is for anything but his own self interest, you are far more deluded than i have previously thought

I've never seen you post anything indicating the slightest knowledge about any issue. So why would anyone give a shit whether you bend over for an ass kiss on this one?

And...drum roll please...the lone nay vote on the House Resolution was RON PAUL!!

You know, the guy all you "new" anti-Bush/anti-Obama folks seem to support, maybe, sorta.

"It seems our criticism is selective and applied when there are political points to be made," Paul said. "I have admired President Obama's cautious approach to the situation in Iran and I would have preferred that we in the House had acted similarly."
Paul's full floor statement:

I rise in reluctant opposition to H Res 560, which condemns the Iranian government for its recent actions during the unrest in that country. While I never condone violence, much less the violence that governments are only too willing to mete out to their own citizens, I am always very cautious about "condemning" the actions of governments overseas. As an elected member of the United States House of Representatives, I have always questioned our constitutional authority to sit in judgment of the actions of foreign governments of which we are not representatives. I have always hesitated when my colleagues rush to pronounce final judgment on events thousands of miles away about which we know very little. And we know very little beyond limited press reports about what is happening in Iran.

Of course I do not support attempts by foreign governments to suppress the democratic aspirations of their people, but when is the last time we condemned Saudi Arabia or Egypt or the many other countries where unlike in Iran there is no opportunity to exercise any substantial vote on political leadership? It seems our criticism is selective and applied when there are political points to be made. I have admired President Obama's cautious approach to the situation in Iran and I would have preferred that we in the House had acted similarly.

I adhere to the foreign policy of our Founders, who advised that we not interfere in the internal affairs of countries overseas. I believe that is the best policy for the United States, for our national security and for our prosperity. I urge my colleagues to reject this and all similar meddling resolutions.

Reza Pahlavi
November 5th, 2008

Mr. President-Elect,

Yours sincerely,

Reza Pahlavi

///

LOL

I've never seen you post anything indicating the slightest knowledge about any issue. So why would anyone give a shit whether you bend over for an ass kiss on this one?
you are such a dumb fuck
you didnt even read the article you linked to, did you?
Reza wants a retuyrn to a monachy, with HIM as the monach
read what you post, moron

Zakaria is a worm and a sell-out to his people.

Of course Israel is using the spy agencys of the U.S. and Britan to destroy the Iranian government.

The Zionist want a non nuclear Irainian government that is friendly to Israel and believes in the Holohoax.

Fahreed Zakaria is the most brilliant expert on Mideast geopolitics and is respected by Jews and Arabs uniformly. In my opinion, he should have a top level position with this administration instead of a one-hour show on CNN once a week and a column in Newsweek.
Fahreed Zakaria is nothing but a political hack for the neocons and a tool of the Zionists.

He is an Indian, so the Arabs could care less what nonsense he spews.

Last edited:

Reza Pahlavi
November 5th, 2008

Mr. President-Elect,

Yours sincerely,

Reza Pahlavi

///

LOL

for you, knowledge=putting your head up obama's ass, so I can see why you think Dive has little knowledge.

Obama's first comments, June 16, 2009:

"I think that the democratic process, free speech, the ability for folks to peacefully dissent, all those are universal values and need to be respected."

But the BBC's Jonathan Beale, in Washington, says the president studiously avoided any comment on the allegations of vote fraud.

"We respect Iranian sovereignty and want to avoid the United States being the issue inside of Iran," Mr Obama said.

In an interview with CBS News' Harry Smith Friday, President Obama said he is "very concerned" with the thrust of the statements made today by the ayatollah about Iran's disputed election results.

"And I'm very concerned based on some of the tenor -- and tone of the statements that have been made -- that the government of Iran recognize that the world is watching," the president told Smith. "And how they approach and deal with people who are, through peaceful means, trying to be heard will, I think, send a pretty clear signal to the international community about what Iran is and -- and is not."

Maybe he should always check with you first for the politically correct language that would appease Republicans? Are you guys sad that he didn't immediately confirm Iran's "axis of evil" status?

MM, you don't get that he needed to stand with the protestors, not regarding the election, but the right to make demands. That wasn't happening on the 16th and surely isn't today.

If Obama could give up his boneheaded dream that Ahmadinejad and Khamenei might soon come slavering over his outstretched hand, he could say:

"It is clear that a great many Iranians have lost confidence in the present system's performance in conducting and verifying the election, and this strikes right at the heart of any democratic system. In the hope of restoring the Iranian people's confidence in their election system and of protecting and nurturing the democratic rights of the Iranian people and of preventing escalating violence and bloodshed and in the hope of preventing harsh repressive measures that will further damage the fabric of democracy in Iran, the United States strongly believes that an independent panel of election experts from the United Nations should be given access to examine the ballots and all other materials pertinent to the election and to investigate complaints in order to determine if irregularities in the recent election were minor and did not effect the announced outcome or if the irregularities were so great that a new election must be held in order to preserve democracy in Iran."

Since there is clearly no hope the present regime will yield anything on nuclear weapons or their sponsorship of terrorism, if this statement should further alienate the present regime, nothing has been lost, and if the opposition should come to power, despite the fact Obama seems to believe there is little difference between Mousavi and Ahmadinejad on these issues, such a statement by Obama would give the US a more favorable image among Mousavi's supporters and that might give Mousavi a political reason to be more accommodating with the West.

In either case, such a statement would firmly establish the Obama administration as a strong supporter of democratic rights of people everywhere instead of leaving us looking like mealy mouthed appeasers of tyrants.

Indeed and the events are getting ahead of him. Either the regime will crush the opposition, so then Obama is going to sit down with them? OR the regime will fall and we will be the last country to officially stand for more freedom.

He's already done that. But he's not about to say anything that will further escalate civil war in Iran. Or has everyone already forgotten the outcome resulting from all the adventures in Iraq where the U.S. got stuck in the middle of a civil war...

Reza Pahlavi
November 5th, 2008

Mr. President-Elect,

Yours sincerely,

Reza Pahlavi

///

Just what goes on between your ears? I responded to your claim that a strong statement by Obama in support of the protesters would leave the US in the middle of a civil war just as it did in Iraq, you go off on a tangent about the Shah's son. Are you genuinely unable to stay on topic because of some disability or are you changing topics because you realized how ridiculous your claim was?

However, in front of White House there is now a demonstration in favor of the protestors, over 2k. Perhaps he'll hear? I mean after all, he has no problem standing with the Palestinians.

CNN reporting 19 dead, hundreds hurt:

At least 19 dead in Iran unrest, hospital sources say - CNN.com

At least 19 dead in Iran unrest, hospital sources say

Story Highlights
NEW: Hospitals say 19 killed; unconfirmed reports put toll as high as 150
Police use water cannon and batons on crowds of demonstrators
Facebook page of Mir Hossein Moussavi says he's ready for "martyrdom"
Obama urges Iran to stop all violent and unjust actions against its own people

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Thousands of defiant protesters clashed with police in the streets of Tehran on Saturday in protest of last week's presidential elections, and opposition leader Mir Hossein Moussavi reportedly said he was ready for "martyrdom."

The unrest left 19 people dead, hospital sources said. Unconfirmed reports put the death toll as high as 150 on the seventh day of post-election demontrations.

Police were using tear gas, clubs and water cannon as they tried to disperse the demonstrators.

A stream of videos posted on social networking Web sites appeared to show demonstrators who had been shot.

One video showed a woman trying to protect a man being beaten and kicked by protesters. A motorcycle lies on its side nearby, and another is in flames.

The protests were held in open defiance of warnings issued Friday by Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and the Islamic Republic Security Council. They had said protest organizers -- specifically Moussavi -- would be held accountable if the protests led to bloodshed.

The message on Moussavi's page on Facebook urged Moussavi's supporters to "protest" and "not go to work." The social networking Web site has proved to be a key source of information in a country whose government has banned international journalists from newsgathering....

obama needs to step up and say something strong to them and fucking stronger to n korea

Well according to Chris, this is all Obama's doing... :rolleyes:

You're right bones, he's been a coward. The House however, has moved:

TheHill.com - House approves Iran bill 405-1

House approves Iran bill 405-1
By Ian Swanson
Posted: 06/19/09 11:51 AM [ET]
The House overwhelmingly approved a resolution Friday in support of Iranian dissidents as that country’s top cleric warned protesters to end demonstrations.

The resolution was approved in a 405-1 vote, with two members voting present. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) was the only lawmaker opposed to the resolution. Reps. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) and David Loebsack (D-Iowa) voted present.

“This resolution is not about American interests,” said Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), chairman of the House Foreign Relations Committee. “It is about American values that I believe are universal.”
Berman sponsored the resolution with Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.).

Iran has been consumed by demonstrations protesting the election of Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad since last weekend. Opposition candidates have insisted the election was rigged for Ahmadinejad.

But Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, on Friday offered his strongest defense yet of the election, and warned of repercussions if demonstrations continued. He said opposition leaders will be “responsible for bloodshed and chaos” if they do not stop further rallies, according to a report in The New York Times.

The comments suggested Iran’s authorities are prepared to end the demonstrations with force if they persist.

“We are extremely disturbed at statements made by Ayatollah Khamenei which seem to give the green light to security forces to violently handle protesters exercising their right to demonstrate and express their views," said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, deputy director of Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa program.

In Washington, the debate has centered on whether President Obama should be more forceful in criticizing Iranian authorities, and in showing support for the demonstrators.

The issue has put Obama in a tough spot, with conservatives blasting him for not showing more support for demonstrators, and Iran criticizing the U.S. and Obama for meddling in its affairs.

Obama has sought to find a middle ground to prevent Iran from blaming the demonstrations on the U.S.

Some lawmakers during the debate on the resolution said Congress must be careful not to hurt the demonstrators...

I know I might burst into flames but I agree with Obama's position when it comes to Iran. Don't give the Mullahs an easy escapegoat, let the citizenry of Iran see the Mullahs for what they really are....

obama needs to step up and say something strong to them and fucking stronger to n korea

House approves Iran bill 405-1
By Ian Swanson
Posted: 06/19/09 11:51 AM [ET]
The House overwhelmingly approved a resolution Friday in support of Iranian dissidents as that country’s top cleric warned protesters to end demonstrations.

The resolution was approved in a 405-1 vote, with two members voting present. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) was the only lawmaker opposed to the resolution. Reps. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) and David Loebsack (D-Iowa) voted present.

“This resolution is not about American interests,” said Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), chairman of the House Foreign Relations Committee. “It is about American values that I believe are universal.”
Berman sponsored the resolution with Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.).

Iran has been consumed by demonstrations protesting the election of Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad since last weekend. Opposition candidates have insisted the election was rigged for Ahmadinejad.

But Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, on Friday offered his strongest defense yet of the election, and warned of repercussions if demonstrations continued. He said opposition leaders will be “responsible for bloodshed and chaos” if they do not stop further rallies, according to a report in The New York Times.

The comments suggested Iran’s authorities are prepared to end the demonstrations with force if they persist.

“We are extremely disturbed at statements made by Ayatollah Khamenei which seem to give the green light to security forces to violently handle protesters exercising their right to demonstrate and express their views," said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, deputy director of Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa program.

In Washington, the debate has centered on whether President Obama should be more forceful in criticizing Iranian authorities, and in showing support for the demonstrators.

The issue has put Obama in a tough spot, with conservatives blasting him for not showing more support for demonstrators, and Iran criticizing the U.S. and Obama for meddling in its affairs.

Obama has sought to find a middle ground to prevent Iran from blaming the demonstrations on the U.S.

Some lawmakers during the debate on the resolution said Congress must be careful not to hurt the demonstrators...

I know I might burst into flames but I agree with Obama's position when it comes to Iran. Don't give the Mullahs an easy escapegoat, let the citizenry of Iran see the Mullahs for what they really are....

I've seen you say that before. Support for the people and for freedom is what America does. Sending troops/special forces? No.

I've seen you say that before. Support for the people and for freedom is what America does. Sending troops/special forces? No.

America should stay :eusa_shhh:

America should stay :eusa_shhh:

We disagree, had to happen sometime. ;)

Forum List

Back