Iran nuclear deal: Dubai leader backs easing of sanctions

Octarine

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
England
The ruler of Dubai has told the BBC he supports the idea of lifting sanctions against Iran.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, also the prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, said everyone would benefit if Iran was given space.

A limited easing of sanctions begins next Monday after the finalising of a deal on Iran's nuclear programme.

However, a Saudi government adviser called Sheik Mohammed's comment's on Iran "mind boggling".

The adviser criticised the Dubai emir for speaking out while the UAE and Iran both claim three disputed islands in the Gulf, that are currently occupied by Iranian forces.

"It's not surprising that the Dubai ruler would say such a misleading statement about Iran. Their main imperative has always been narrow and trade focused," the adviser told the BBC.

"But this will surely not impact [on] the policy of the GCC [Gulf Co-operation Council] on Iran and it is mind-boggling that he would say this when the Iranians are still occupying legitimate sovereign islands belonging to their brothers in Abu Dhabi."

Dubai has long had strong trade links with Iran and is home to nearly half a million Iranians.

Sheikh Mohammed told the BBC: "You see, Iran is our neighbour and we don't want any problem. Lift their sanctions and everybody will benefit."
Iran has agreed to allow regular inspections of its nuclear facilities in return for the easing of sanctions. It has always denied assertions by the West that it is trying to produce nuclear weapons.

However, Israel has not ruled out taking military action to stop Iran developing a nuclear capability.

Tougher embargoes
Sheikh Mohammed said former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had reassured him that Tehran had no intention of building a nuclear weapon.

"I think that they're telling the truth when they say [the nuclear programme] is just for civilian power," he said.

"I talked to Ahmadinejad and he said 'if I send a rocket to Israel, how many Palestinians will I kill? And then the US and Europe will destroy my cities. I'm not crazy to go for that. It's a weapon of the past'."

Analysts say Iran has long used Dubai to circumvent sanctions, but tougher embargoes imposed over the past two years have limited that trade.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says not all of Dubai's Arab neighbours share Sheikh Mohammed's view.

Saudi Arabia sees sanctions as a way of controlling Iranian expansion, while Bahrain accuses Tehran of fuelling violent protests in its villages, he says.

Iran has agreed with world powers to halt enrichment of uranium above 5% purity, and "neutralise" its stockpile of near-20%-enriched uranium.

In return, certain sanctions will be suspended on trade in gold and precious metals, Iran's automotive sector, and its petrochemical exports.
BBC News - Iran nuclear deal: Dubai leader backs easing of sanctions

^^^^^^^^^^

-That is not a view shared by all of Dubai's Arab neighbours in the Gulf, and when it comes to Iran, the Gulf Arab states are very far from united..... ...as for Dubai, the ruler's views on Iran are a reminder that what makes Dubai tick is not politics, it is trade, business and opportunity.-

BBC News - Gulf states divided over Iran sanctions

Granny says is `cause dem crazy Iranians won't keep up dey's end o' the bargain...
:eusa_eh:
Iranian official on nuke deal: 'We did not agree to dismantle anything'
January 22nd, 2014 ~ Iranian official says the White House mischaracterizes nuclear deal; "You don't need to overemphasize it," Foreign Minister Javad Zarif tells CNN; The nuclear agreement took effect on Monday; It calls for Iran to freeze part of its nuclear program in exchange for eased sanctions
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif insisted Wednesday that the Obama administration mischaracterizes concessions by his side in the six-month nuclear deal with Iran, telling CNN in an exclusive interview that "we did not agree to dismantle anything." Zarif told CNN Chief National Security Correspondent Jim Sciutto that terminology used by the White House to describe the agreement differed from the text agreed to by Iran and the other countries in the talks - the United States, Britain, France, Russia, China and Germany. "The White House version both underplays the concessions and overplays Iranian commitments" under the agreement that took effect Monday, Zarif said in Davos, Switzerland, where he was attending the World Economic Forum.

As part of the accord, Iran was required to dilute its stockpile of uranium that had been enriched to 20%, well above the 5% level needed for power generation but still below the level for developing a nuclear weapon. In addition, the deal mandated that Iran halt all enrichment above 5% and "dismantle the technical connections required to enrich above 5%," according to a White House fact sheet issued in November after the initial agreement was reached.

Zarif accused the Obama administration of creating a false impression with such language. "The White House tries to portray it as basically a dismantling of Iran's nuclear program. That is the word they use time and again," he said, urging Sciutto to read the actual text of the agreement. "If you find a single, a single word, that even closely resembles dismantling or could be defined as dismantling in the entire text, then I would take back my comment."

He repeated that "we are not dismantling any centrifuges, we're not dismantling any equipment, we're simply not producing, not enriching over 5%." "You don't need to over-emphasize it," Zarif said of the White House language. A separate summary sent out by the White House last week did not use the word dismantle. In an interview with CNN's Fareed Zakaria on Wednesday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani echoed Zarif's statement, saying the government will not destroy existing centrifuges. However, he added: "We are ready to provide confidence that there should be no concern about Iran's program."

Responding to Zarif's comments to CNN, a senior administration official said "we expected that the Iranians would need to spin this for their domestic political purposes, and are not surprised they are doing just that." Iranian and U.S. officials have tried to sell the nuclear agreement to domestic opponents in their respective countries who could scuttle it.

More Iran on nuke deal: 'We did not agree to dismantle anything' - CNN.com

Well, we do see Iran complying with the deal they made.

I'm not surprised at all by these developments.

Forum List

Back