Iran can build a nuke

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Andrew2382, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Iran could build one nuke, analysts say - UPI.com

TEHRAN, Nov. 20 (UPI) -- Iran has produced enough material to make one nuclear weapon, said nuclear experts analyzing a report by international inspectors.

Information detailing Iran's progress was in an update from the International Atomic Energy Agency, which has been conducting inspections of Iran's main nuclear facility at Natanz. The report concluded that, as of earlier in November, Iran produced about 1,390 pounds of low-enriched uranium, The New York Times (NYSE:NYT) reported Thursday.

Several experts told the Times that amount was enough for a bomb, adding that more work was needed to actually create the weapon. Not only would Tehran have to renege on its agreements and boot inspectors, it also would have to further purify the fuel and put it in a warhead design.

"They clearly have enough material for a bomb," Richard L. Garwin, a nuclear physicist who helped invent the hydrogen bomb and has advised U.S. officials, told the Times. "They know how to do the enrichment. Whether they know how to design a bomb, well, that's another matter."

Iran has maintained its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. However, many Western nations say they suspect the true purpose is to gain nuclear weapons-making capability.

The IAEA said Iran was avoiding questions about its suspected work on nuclear warheads. The report also said In the Natanz plant was feeding uranium into about 3,800 centrifuges, the same number as in the agency's September quarterly report.

2. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    so what happens now?

3. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I believe Iran already has two of them. This is commonly reported in Israel.

4. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    If they do have two of them and Israel knows this, then I am surprised they have not taken them out. If that is true, then they must not be very confident that they know the exact location(s) and fear the result if they would try and miss.

This is a tough situation on many fronts, as many of the possible outcomes are not good.

5. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Yea, like Israel is a good source of truthful information :cool:

6. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    In this instance, and this instance alone, I agree with you. Israel would be far too biased to be trusted on this matter.

However, I would highly trust the IAEA's analysis and information. If it's the same report I read recently, however, I believe it stated that Iran would need at least 6 months (That's off the top of my head, it could have said a year) and to kick all the inspectors out of it's nation, which it has not done, to design a bomb.

7. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    For a simple Atomic Bomb there is little design necessary. Seventy pounds of enriched Uranium in the core and a 28 pound enriched Uranium bullet that would fit perfectly into the seventy pounds to make a sphere that weighs 98 pounds or more. Use conventional charge to propel the bullet into the sphere shape and a second later you have an explosion large enough to take down a small city. Iran could build two or more of them by tomorrow. In fact, they may already be on their way to American coastal cities.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  8. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    What I said was based off the report of the IAEA that I read, and no offense but I'm sure they have a better understanding of where Iran is at with it's nuclear capabilities than you do.

9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,539
    Let's just assume that this is true. If YOU suspect it, then the pertinent authorities do as well.

This would seem to me to make the whole idea of pre-emptive strike against Iran pointless.

We may as well end our wars, bring our troops home, position them on our borders, and spend that money on inspecting every single solitary item that enters our ports instead.

If they can just easily ship a couple nukes to us anyway, then why are we bothering to position our troops all around the world? Why not just arm up and guard our own country?

It's been working WONDERS for Switzerland.

10. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    The reason is that we have to do what's best for Israel.

Protection of Israel is the United States #1 priority.

Americas safety is a distant second place.

We consentrated our forces in Iraq instead of Afghanistain, because Iraq was a bigger threat to Israel.