Iran can build a nuke

Andrew2382

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2008
Iran could build one nuke, analysts say - UPI.com

TEHRAN, Nov. 20 (UPI) -- Iran has produced enough material to make one nuclear weapon, said nuclear experts analyzing a report by international inspectors.

Information detailing Iran's progress was in an update from the International Atomic Energy Agency, which has been conducting inspections of Iran's main nuclear facility at Natanz. The report concluded that, as of earlier in November, Iran produced about 1,390 pounds of low-enriched uranium, The New York Times (NYSE:NYT) reported Thursday.

Several experts told the Times that amount was enough for a bomb, adding that more work was needed to actually create the weapon. Not only would Tehran have to renege on its agreements and boot inspectors, it also would have to further purify the fuel and put it in a warhead design.

"They clearly have enough material for a bomb," Richard L. Garwin, a nuclear physicist who helped invent the hydrogen bomb and has advised U.S. officials, told the Times. "They know how to do the enrichment. Whether they know how to design a bomb, well, that's another matter."

Iran has maintained its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. However, many Western nations say they suspect the true purpose is to gain nuclear weapons-making capability.

The IAEA said Iran was avoiding questions about its suspected work on nuclear warheads. The report also said In the Natanz plant was feeding uranium into about 3,800 centrifuges, the same number as in the agency's September quarterly report.

Iran could build one nuke, analysts say - UPI.com

TEHRAN, Nov. 20 (UPI) -- Iran has produced enough material to make one nuclear weapon, said nuclear experts analyzing a report by international inspectors.

Information detailing Iran's progress was in an update from the International Atomic Energy Agency, which has been conducting inspections of Iran's main nuclear facility at Natanz. The report concluded that, as of earlier in November, Iran produced about 1,390 pounds of low-enriched uranium, The New York Times (NYSE:NYT) reported Thursday.

Several experts told the Times that amount was enough for a bomb, adding that more work was needed to actually create the weapon. Not only would Tehran have to renege on its agreements and boot inspectors, it also would have to further purify the fuel and put it in a warhead design.

"They clearly have enough material for a bomb," Richard L. Garwin, a nuclear physicist who helped invent the hydrogen bomb and has advised U.S. officials, told the Times. "They know how to do the enrichment. Whether they know how to design a bomb, well, that's another matter."

Iran has maintained its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. However, many Western nations say they suspect the true purpose is to gain nuclear weapons-making capability.

The IAEA said Iran was avoiding questions about its suspected work on nuclear warheads. The report also said In the Natanz plant was feeding uranium into about 3,800 centrifuges, the same number as in the agency's September quarterly report.

so what happens now?

If they do have two of them and Israel knows this, then I am surprised they have not taken them out. If that is true, then they must not be very confident that they know the exact location(s) and fear the result if they would try and miss.

This is a tough situation on many fronts, as many of the possible outcomes are not good.

Yea, like Israel is a good source of truthful information :cool:

In this instance, and this instance alone, I agree with you. Israel would be far too biased to be trusted on this matter.

However, I would highly trust the IAEA's analysis and information. If it's the same report I read recently, however, I believe it stated that Iran would need at least 6 months (That's off the top of my head, it could have said a year) and to kick all the inspectors out of it's nation, which it has not done, to design a bomb.

In this instance, and this instance alone, I agree with you. Israel would be far too biased to be trusted on this matter.

However, I would highly trust the IAEA's analysis and information. If it's the same report I read recently, however, I believe it stated that Iran would need at least 6 months (That's off the top of my head, it could have said a year) and to kick all the inspectors out of it's nation, which it has not done, to design a bomb.

For a simple Atomic Bomb there is little design necessary. Seventy pounds of enriched Uranium in the core and a 28 pound enriched Uranium bullet that would fit perfectly into the seventy pounds to make a sphere that weighs 98 pounds or more. Use conventional charge to propel the bullet into the sphere shape and a second later you have an explosion large enough to take down a small city. Iran could build two or more of them by tomorrow. In fact, they may already be on their way to American coastal cities.

Last edited:
For a simple Atomic Bomb there is little design necessary. Seventy pounds of enriched Uranium in the core and a 28 pound enriched Uranium bullet that would fit perfectly into the seventy pounds to make a sphere that weighs 98 pounds or more. Use conventional charge to propel the bullet into the sphere shape and a second later you have an explosion large enough to take down a small city. Iran could build two or more of them by tomorrow. In fact, they may already be on their way to American coastal cities.

What I said was based off the report of the IAEA that I read, and no offense but I'm sure they have a better understanding of where Iran is at with it's nuclear capabilities than you do.

In fact, they may already be on their way to American coastal cities.

Let's just assume that this is true. If YOU suspect it, then the pertinent authorities do as well.

This would seem to me to make the whole idea of pre-emptive strike against Iran pointless.

We may as well end our wars, bring our troops home, position them on our borders, and spend that money on inspecting every single solitary item that enters our ports instead.

If they can just easily ship a couple nukes to us anyway, then why are we bothering to position our troops all around the world? Why not just arm up and guard our own country?

It's been working WONDERS for Switzerland.

The reason is that we have to do what's best for Israel.

Protection of Israel is the United States #1 priority.

Americas safety is a distant second place.

We consentrated our forces in Iraq instead of Afghanistain, because Iraq was a bigger threat to Israel.

The reason is that we have to do what's best for Israel.

Protection of Israel is the United States #1 priority.

Americas safety is a distant second place.

We consentrated our forces in Iraq instead of Afghanistain, because Iraq was a bigger threat to Israel.

Does that tinfoil hat come with antennas? Or are they items sold seperately?

What I said was based off the report of the IAEA that I read, and no offense but I'm sure they have a better understanding of where Iran is at with it's nuclear capabilities than you do.
You sure are silly, you do not have the slightest idea who I am or what information I have had access to. I can assure you that my information is more accurate than that of the IAEA. Most of us in the nuclear weapon field know the IAE clowns to be total twits.

Now that said, let me say this about that. Nobody knows the actual state of affairs in Iran. If they tell you they know, they are more than likely phonies. Israel is not foolproof. They have to buy info and have been misled many a time in the past sixty years.. International organizations can only inspect where they are told they can inspect. That means they are essentially useless and even comical in their performance.

The Israeli conjecture is based upon the reported announcements in secret Iranian government sessions. Ironically these transcripts have proven to be the most accurate of all sources. Ahmedinejad has promised the capacity to strike a death blow to the US within the year. What does death blow mean to you? I know what it means to me, and in my book would require a full and total destruction of Iran in retaliation. Let the world be warned that any attack on the United States will be met by a total war destruction of the country that initiates that attack. As the Bible commands, "Slay all the inhabitants thereof."

Last edited:
You sure are silly, you do not have the slightest idea who I am or what information I have had access to. I can assure you that my information is more accurate than that of the IAEA. Most of us in the nuclear weapon field know the IAE clowns to be total twits.

Now that said, let me say this about that. Nobody knows the actual state of affairs in Iran. If they tell you they know, they are more than likely phonies. Israel is not foolproof. They have to buy info and have been misled many a time in the past sixty years.. International organizations can only inspect where they are told they can inspect. That means they are essentially useless and even comical in their performance.

The Israeli conjecture is based upon the reported announcements in secret Iranian government sessions. Ironically these transcripts have proven to be the most accurate of all sources. Ahmedinejad has promised the capacity to strike a death blow to the US within the year. What does death blow mean to you? I know what it means to me, and in my book would require a full and total destruction of Iran in retaliation. Let the world be warned that any attack on the United States will be met by a total war destruction of the country that initiates that attack. As the Bible commands, "Slay all the inhabitants thereof."

Well I certainly don't know what knowledge you have or what information you may be privy to, but, beyond that, I sure have to agree with you. Those inspectors could be the best trained in the world and have the best of intentions, however, they are still regulated by the host country and can be fooled easily. AS for us and how we should respond. The use of chemical, biological or nuclear force against us, should be met with the most devastating blow we can deliver. If not, we could be opening a door which we might not ever be able to shut.

Well I certainly don't know what knowledge you have or what information you may be privy to, but, beyond that, I sure have to agree with you. Those inspectors could be the best trained in the world and have the best of intentions, however, they are still regulated by the host country and can be fooled easily. AS for us and how we should respond. The use of chemical, biological or nuclear force against us, should be met with the most devastating blow we can deliver. If not, we could be opening a door which we might not ever be able to shut.

Too much logic and common sense in his post not to agree.

I got money that says even if we are attacked by NBC weapons, we no longer have the national nor political will to retaliate in kind. We've turned into a Nation of pussies and those pussies will make every relativist argument and convoluted rationalization "why not." That's not to mention the warped morons that will say we deserved it.

I got money that says even if we are attacked by NBC weapons, we no longer have the national nor political will to retaliate in kind. We've turned into a Nation of pussies and those pussies will make every relativist argument and convoluted rationalization "why not." That's not to mention the warped morons that will say we deserved it.

Yeah Gunny, I know and I know how real your comments are. And of course anyone who admits this realization is labeled a war monger or worse. Further, this mostly comes from those who have no idea what violent death is, how ugly it is and how lasting in the soul it can be. Hence they fall short of understanding that those who passionately wish to defend this nation, do so because they understand the terrible realities which exisist in lands far away, but growing closer to our shores. The War Lords of Africa, the terror in the Middle East and the Drug thugs in South America! The death and destruction they leave in their path.

Bin Laden said we were a "paper tiger, bloody their nose and they will run away"
hard to believe he was so right about a large segment of our population

As the Bible commands, "Slay all the inhabitants thereof."
That verse you quote was for a specific time, place, and event. God does NOT command us to do any such thing today.

You take that verse totally out of context and act like it applies to todays stuation.

It is NOT a one size fits all scripture.

That exactly what the TV evangalists do to back up their talking points to gulible church members.

Obviously I don't know who you are, but since the IAEA are on the ground in Iran I'm sure they have a better idea of what's happening there than you do. I'm sure of this because if you were privy to some super-secret-knowledge about Iran you wouldn't be spouting off about it on a message board.

I simply don't understand the need to assume that they're developing a nuclear weapon when we have no definitive proof. If Iraq taught us one thing it should be that we should never attack a nation based on an assumption, and now we're beginning to see the same propaganda that preceded the Iraq war in the case of Iran.

"Let the world be warned that any attack on the United States will be met by a total war destruction of the country that initiates that attack. As the Bible commands, 'Slay all the inhabitants thereof.'"

Let it be noted that religious extremism is not simply the product of Islam, and there are those that will distort the message of Christianity to suit their sociopathic ideas as evidenced above. Also, our government is to take it's orders from the Constitution, not the Bible.

Last edited:
They'll get nukes and then discover, as we have, that they are basically worthless except as a "If you attack us we'll destroy the whole world" threat.

I don't want nukes to proliferate throughout the world, but I see very little chance that they won't.

Forum List

Back