Investment Manager Explains Why 99.5% Of Americans Can Never Win

Oh, you mean like the fact that millions simply don't have the money to spare because despite working their arses off, they don't make enough money to think about saving it?

Why are they working their asses off for not enough money? What have THEY not done to better themselves since flipping burgers in high school? That's the question.

The real question is why you live in this dream world of yours where everyone actually has the same opportunities, and never, ever have bad things happen to them.
It is not up to me to provide opportunities to anyone but my own children. I did that. All 3 are doing quite well.

Bad things happen to everyone. Strong people overcome adversity and become stronger. Weak people expect pity, and deserve it.
You sir, have my pity, but keep your hands of of my wallet.

Right, so your solution for people who work their arses off with little to show for it is for them to work their arses off even more. Wow, what a brilliant idea, particularly for poor single working mothers with all the time in the world <sarcasm>. :cuckoo:

In ANY Century --- it's not how hard you work that's rewarded.. It's what you PRODUCE that matters. In the 21st Century -- the value is in what you KNOW and how FLEXIBLE your skills are..

Discussions like this do NOTHING to prepare society for modern reality. And attempting to REDISTRIBUTE income and wealth will NOT FIX the imminent disaster of wrong-skilled labor...

What has Paris Hilton ever produced that makes her more valuable than a person whose blood, sweat and tears makes it possible for you to affordably put food on your table?

Her family produced. The fact that you produce nothing but a drain on the system is not her fault.

What's wrong with going to bed hungry once in a while?

No one is starving in the streets.

When was the last documented death of a child from starvation in the USA?

Hunger Statistics, Hunger Facts & Poverty Facts | Feeding America

Poverty http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/hunger-facts/hunger-and-poverty-statistics.aspx#_edn1
  • In 2012, 46.5 million people (15.0 percent) were in poverty.
  • In 2012, 26.5 million (13.7 percent) of people ages 18-64 were in poverty.
  • In 2012, 16.1 million (21.8 percent) children under the age of 18 were in poverty.
  • In 2012, 3.9 million (9.1 percent) seniors 65 and older were in poverty.
  • The overall poverty rate according to the Supplemental Poverty Measure is 16.1%, as compared with the official poverty rate of 15.1%. [ii]
  • Under the Supplemental Poverty Measure, there are 49.7 million people living in poverty, 3.1 million more than are represented by the official poverty measure (46.5 million). [iii]
Food Insecurity and Very Low Food Security [iv]

• In 2012, 49.0 million Americans lived in food insecure households, 33.1 million adults and 15.9 million children.
  • In 2012, 14.5 percent of households (17.6 million households) were food insecure.
  • In 2012, 5.7 percent of households (7.0 million households) experienced very low food security.
  • In 2012, households with children reported food insecurity at a significantly higher rate than those without children, 20.0 percent compared to 11.9 percent.
  • In 2012, households that had higher rates of food insecurity than the national average included households with children (20.0 percent), especially households with children headed by single women (35.4 percent) or single men (23.6 percent), Black non-Hispanic households (24.6 percent) and Hispanic households (23.3 percent).
  • In 2011, 4.8 million seniors (over age 60), or 8.4% of all seniors were food insecure. [v]
  • Food insecurity exists in every county in America, ranging from a low of 2.4 percent in Slope County, ND to a high of 35.2 percent in Holmes County, MS. [vi]

You STILL haven't defined hunger.

Food insecure? O come now! How many kids haven't eaten today?

It sure seemed to be what you were suggesting.
Only to you, since you have a habit of attributing opinions to people they never expressed.

How would you define it?
I would define hunger as regularly not getting enough food into your stomach.

The term you are throwing around "food insecurity" certainly isn't the same thing since it includes things like when I was in college eating ramen noodles thinking man I sure wish I had some other healthier shit besides this.

Oh, you mean like the fact that millions simply don't have the money to spare because despite working their arses off, they don't make enough money to think about saving it?

Why are they working their asses off for not enough money? What have THEY not done to better themselves since flipping burgers in high school? That's the question.

The real question is why you live in this dream world of yours where everyone actually has the same opportunities, and never, ever have bad things happen to them.

Something liberals never seem to understand. Can't never did anything. Maybe they do understand it. They use it to stay in power. They tell all of the special interest groups that they can't do anything on their own. They need the Democrats to be their champions and provide. Not just today, but for life. Can't turnss into don't or won't for liberals. Enjoy the plantation. Idiot.

It sure seemed to be what you were suggesting.
Only to you, since you have a habit of attributing opinions to people they never expressed.

How would you define it?
I would define hunger as regularly not getting enough food into your stomach.

The term you are throwing around "food insecurity" certainly isn't the same thing since it includes things like when I was in college eating ramen noodles thinking man I sure wish I had some other healthier shit besides this.

That is bullshite:

Food security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Food security is a condition that "exists when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life", according to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).[2] Household food security exists when all members, at all times, have access to enough food for an active, healthy life.[3] Individuals who are food secure do not live in hunger or fear of starvation.[4] Food insecurity, on the other hand, is a situation of "limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate and safe foods or limited or uncertain ability to acquire acceptable foods in socially acceptable ways", according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).[5]

In other words, food insecurity refers to being chronically hungry due to the lack of normal, regular access to an adequate quantity and quality of food.

The United Nations (UN) recognized the Right to food in the Declaration of Human Rights in 1948,[4] and has since noted that it is vital for the enjoyment of all other rights.[8]

And yet the monsters that have taken over the conservative movement in this country would cut all welfare programs in this country, if they had their way. I say monsters because that is what they are.

Poverty http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/hunger-facts/hunger-and-poverty-statistics.aspx#_edn1
  • In 2012, 16.1 million (21.8 percent) children under the age of 18 were in poverty.
  • The overall poverty rate according to the Supplemental Poverty Measure is 16.1%, as compared with the official poverty rate of 15.1%. [ii]
  • Under the Supplemental Poverty Measure, there are 49.7 million people living in poverty, 3.1 million more than are represented by the official poverty measure (46.5 million). [iii]

• In 2012, 49.0 million Americans lived in food insecure households, 33.1 million adults and 15.9 million children.
  • In 2012, 14.5 percent of households (17.6 million households) were food insecure.
  • In 2012, 5.7 percent of households (7.0 million households) experienced very low food security.
  • In 2012, households with children reported food insecurity at a significantly higher rate than those without children, 20.0 percent compared to 11.9 percent.
  • In 2012, households that had higher rates of food insecurity than the national average included households with children (20.0 percent), especially households with children headed by single women (35.4 percent) or single men (23.6 percent), Black non-Hispanic households (24.6 percent) and Hispanic households (23.3 percent).
  • In 2011, 4.8 million seniors (over age 60), or 8.4% of all seniors were food insecure. [v]
  • Food insecurity exists in every county in America, ranging from a low of 2.4 percent in Slope County, ND to a high of 35.2 percent in Holmes County, MS. [vi]

Who set those standards? The government? You realize they can set those standards on a whim don't you. For the sake of argument, lets say that liberls were successful in legislating a "living wage" for all citizens. Prices would have to go up, meaning that the producers offset their loss in income and a new standard is set for those now making a "living wage". The same people who were poor before, are still poor. Everyome just makes more money and pays higher prices.

It is not up to me to provide opportunities to anyone but my own children. I did that. All 3 are doing quite well.

Bad things happen to everyone. Strong people overcome adversity and become stronger. Weak people expect pity, and deserve it.
You sir, have my pity, but keep your hands of of my wallet.

Amen brother. My dad grew up on a farm with no electricity or running water in the depression and actually plowed the family farm with a team of mules. After getting out of the military and getting married, he began a series of jobs, bettering himself each step of the way. He eventually moved away from the small town he grew up in and moved to the city where he worked for 30+ years in a meat packing plant. He had 4 kids and he wanted better for them than he had. He had a strong work ethic and integrity that he passed onto his kids. He put each one of us who wanted to go to college thru. Within about 5 years of being out of college, I was pulling down more than my dad after him being at the plant for 30 years. My son is a junior in college now. It won't take long for him to pass me when he gets out even though I've been in my career for 30+ years now. He spend last summer in an internship for BP on the north slope of Alaska. They have rehired him for this coming summer to work in Houston. He'll be making $5200 per month along with paid housing. But then we helped guide him thru from grade school thru high school and instilled in him the value of an education and choosing a field that is in demand. The kids in his major almost always have a job lined up during their senior year.

If other parents aren't willing to do the same thing, that's no skin off my back. And as far as opportunity, my state has a program called Oklahoma's Promise. Parents who make less than $50K can sign their kid up for the program beginning in 8th grade. The kid has to stay out of trouble, maintain something like a 2.5 GPA and the state will pay for their education at a state school. That's a pretty sweet deal when my son graduated with a 4.3 GPA and made a 29 on his ACT and only gets a $2K merit scholarship. I don't fall for this opportunity and hard times BS that liberals try to sell.

Who set those standards? The government? You realize they can set those standards on a whim don't you. For the sake of argument, lets say that liberls were successful in legislating a "living wage" for all citizens. Prices would have to go up, meaning that the producers offset their loss in income and a new standard is set for those now making a "living wage". The same people who were poor before, are still poor. Everyome just makes more money and pays higher prices.

In a purely capitalistic system, that would be true. However, pure capitalism is a scam based on greed, and is never in the best interest of the people.

In a purely capitalistic system, that would be true. However, pure capitalism is a scam based on greed, and is never in the best interest of the people.

More importantly, pure capitalism, or a true market system, has never really existed. Most people do not even understand what pure capitalism is or what the market system is, and what the requirements are for either. And as time has gone on, the US economy has become more and more different from those concepts.
Perhaps the biggest problem is simple. It is the concept of monopoly power. Which even Adam Smith was sure was a really bad idea, and would eliminate the effectiveness of capitalism if it was allowed to exist. However, in his time, corporations were few, massive corporations were very scarce, and multinational corporations were pretty much unheard of. So he did not allow for the scope of the problems that the us economy has faced as a result of steadily increasing monopoly power of corporations.

Right, so your solution for people who work their arses off with little to show for it is for them to work their arses off even more. Wow, what a brilliant idea, particularly for poor single working mothers with all the time in the world <sarcasm>. :cuckoo:

In ANY Century --- it's not how hard you work that's rewarded.. It's what you PRODUCE that matters. In the 21st Century -- the value is in what you KNOW and how FLEXIBLE your skills are..

Discussions like this do NOTHING to prepare society for modern reality. And attempting to REDISTRIBUTE income and wealth will NOT FIX the imminent disaster of wrong-skilled labor...

What has Paris Hilton ever produced that makes her more valuable than a person whose blood, sweat and tears makes it possible for you to affordably put food on your table?

Oh here we go... The list is gonna be a thousand miles long... What has Adam Sandler done that gives him a bigger house and bank account than the stage grips that work with him? What has Richie Incognito done with the Dolphins besides bullying rookies? What has Justin Bieber done other than been annoying and spoiled.

MOST of those "rich bastards" are first generation wealth. And MOST of them are authors, movie stars, sports figures, entertainers, doctors, lawyers and entreprenuers..

For every Paris Hilton, there's a 1st gen money maker who started from nothing. Proves nothing except for your envy and penchant for class warfare..

YOU --- would strip the Venus and Serena Williams of their NEW FOUND wealth to prevent future Paris Hiltons.. I definately would not. Bill Cosby and even morons like Justin Bieber have a right to spawn future generations with an initial money advantage.

Either that or NPR, the symphony and arts, yacht makers and sports teams and most Cancer Centers are gonna have to live solely off the Govt tit..

If Paris Hilton is what's bugging you Bunky --- she's serving a valuable purpose.. And that is to dissipate her Daddie's wealth thru stupidity. Because that's the way the cookie crumbles. She's the dung beetle of wealth.

Oh here we go... The list is gonna be a thousand miles long... What has Adam Sandler done that gives him a bigger house and bank account than the stage grips that work with him? What has Richie Incognito done with the Dolphins besides bullying rookies? What has Justin Bieber done other than been annoying and spoiled.

Good questions. If you ever figure out why they deserve all that money, let the rest of us know.

flacaltenn said:
YOU --- would strip the Venus and Serena Williams of their NEW FOUND wealth to prevent future Paris Hiltons.. I definately would not. Bill Cosby and even morons like Justin Bieber have a right to spawn future generations with an initial money advantage.

Yes, actually I don't believe in modern professional sports. Give me a high school or college game any time.

Good questions. If you ever figure out why they deserve all that money, let the rest of us know.

flacaltenn said:

Yes, actually I don't believe in modern professional sports. Give me a high school or college game any time.

They, in most cases, deserve it, because they earned it. Do you deny that Bill Cosby is worth more money, has generated more wealth and entertainment than you, a burger flipper at Mickey D's?

No one cares if you don't believe in professional sports. (I assure you. Professional baseball is real.) Millions of people watch the games and pay lots of money in ticket and more supporting advertisers. Professional sports generate billions of dollars in wealth.

flacaltenn said:

So what this beef is really about is that YOUR VALUES are "fairer" than those who read the Enquirer and adore Paris Hilton and Monday Night Football?

Bet you're a fan of High School comedy and Amatuer porn also then? Dont NEED to have all those pros suckin up the good money in the biz...

Last edited:
That is bullshite:

Food security is a condition that "exists when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life", according to the
No it isn't bullshit, your definition proves my point with the example I gave.

When I was in college I'd be eating ramen noodles wishing I could afford something better. Did it meet my food preferences for an active and healthy life? Nope, I would have preferred some meat, fruits, and veggies but the ramen was less than 10 cents by the case.

Congratulations I was food insecure, poor me I could have been a statistic bandied about by organizations who only exists if there is a giant problem.

In other words, food insecurity refers to being chronically hungry due to the lack of normal, regular access to an adequate quantity and quality of food.
Negative. Many people could check the boxes for quality and preference to suit your definition in a survey, but rarely if ever go to bed hungry.

And yet the monsters that have taken over the conservative movement in this country would cut all welfare programs in this country, if they had their way. I say monsters because that is what they are.
Who in this thread said they would cut all welfare programs in the country? I must have missed that post, or are you beating on yet another strawman.

You should open a strawman factory.

That is bullshite:

Food security is a condition that "exists when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life", according to the
No it isn't bullshit, your definition proves my point with the example I gave.

When I was in college I'd be eating ramen noodles wishing I could afford something better. Did it meet my food preferences for an active and healthy life? Nope, I would have preferred some meat, fruits, and veggies but the ramen was less than 10 cents by the case.

Congratulations I was food insecure, poor me I could have been a statistic bandied about by organizations who only exists if there is a giant problem.

Negative. Many people could check the boxes for quality and preference to suit your definition in a survey, but rarely if ever go to bed hungry.

Who in this thread said they would cut all welfare programs in the country? I must have missed that post, or are you beating on yet another strawman.

You should open a strawman factory.

And your attempt to belittle me for actually caring about people and your apologizing for these monsters makes you, what? I mean, other than an asshole?

You didn't answer my question.

Maybe I can help.

The article points out that since the recession real median incomes have fallen even while stock prices have grown. One possibility is that the rich have stolen from the poor, but if we look at more of this trend--
avgrealmedincDow.png

-- we see that the theft did not occur until 2009, and that was the year that power was taken from the rich and seized by the community activists.

Orogofuglyfossil is the heartbreak of economic illiteracy on parade.

The Fed has grossly expanded the money supply. Money seeks assets - the preferred classes of which over the past few years have been stock, high end real estate, and artwork/collectibles. Inflation doesn't just show up in consumer goods - stock are inflated as well.

Which has fuck all to do with anything I've said here. If you are trying to refute what I actually said:

"millions simply don't have the money to spare because despite working their arses off, they don't make enough money to think about saving it",

You failed miserably.

But you knew that already.

It's the same old grosing the old money types and people who love them typically do. Basically the blame everything on the Fed and just wish that the Robber Barons and gold would rule the roost.

That didn't work before FDR when we had wild boom and bust economies and definitely wouldn't work now.

The gold standard is basically as artificial as every other method to ascribe value to currency. The real value of a country's currency, at any rate, is it's economy and assets.

Which is another reason pooling all the wealth into the hands of a few is a fool's errand.

Ultimately, no matter how many assets a country has, it screws up the economy.

Orogofuglyfossil is the heartbreak of economic illiteracy on parade.

The Fed has grossly expanded the money supply. Money seeks assets - the preferred classes of which over the past few years have been stock, high end real estate, and artwork/collectibles. Inflation doesn't just show up in consumer goods - stock are inflated as well.

Which has fuck all to do with anything I've said here. If you are trying to refute what I actually said:

"millions simply don't have the money to spare because despite working their arses off, they don't make enough money to think about saving it",

You failed miserably.

But you knew that already.

It's the same old grosing the old money types and people who love them typically do. Basically the blame everything on the Fed and just wish that the Robber Barons and gold would rule the roost.

That didn't work before FDR when we had wild boom and bust economies and definitely wouldn't work now.

The gold standard is basically as artificial as every other method to ascribe value to currency. The real value of a country's currency, at any rate, is it's economy and assets.

Which is another reason pooling all the wealth into the hands of a few is a fool's errand.

Ultimately, no matter how many assets a country has, it screws up the economy.

Pooling the wealth into the hands of politicians is NOT stupid?

You could tar and feather a billionaire a day and assume every dollar of assets, and not make a ripple in raising the prospects for a high school dropout.. Much harder task is to raise the earning potential of millions.. Thats why we have class war today..

Forum List

Back