Introverts and small talk

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
OK fellow introverts do you all hate small talk as much as I do?

Are any of you just annoyed at some guy trying to make small talk with you ?

I am. Now it's not that I don't like conversation but rather that I prefer meaningful conversation. You know the guy in the elevator doesn't really care about the conversation he is starting but that most of the time that he is just saying something and then waiting to talk while you respond to his meaningless chatter.

I tend to always be in my head when I'm alone. I'm always thinking about something whether it be politics, religion , or maybe I'm plating with some words I read in a poem or some song lyrics or maybe I'm thinking about monkeys.

Why do I have to be pulled out of these interesting thoughts to make meaningless chit chat with a person who just can't stand silence in a situation and just has to talk to hear his own voice?

I am. Now it's not that I don't like conversation but rather that I prefer meaningful conversation. You know the guy in the elevator doesn't really care about the conversation he is starting but that most of the time that he is just saying something and then waiting to talk while you respond to his meaningless chatter.

I tend to always be in my head when I'm alone. I'm always thinking about something whether it be politics, religion , or maybe I'm plating with some words I read in a poem or some song lyrics or maybe I'm thinking about monkeys.

Why do I have to be pulled out of these interesting thoughts to make meaningless chit chat with a person who just can't stand silence in a situation and just has to talk to hear his own voice?
In most cases, I hate small talk. But I have found that in very rare cases, I can actually enjoy it if the other person shares my values and has a good sense of humor.

Last time my band went on tour, we stopped in Chicago for a radio interview.
I said ‘Hi’ and that’s all I said.

Last time my band went on tour, we stopped in Chicago for a radio interview.
I said ‘Hi’ and that’s all I said.
You do understand the difference of some guy you don't know trying to start a meaningless conversation and consenting to give an interview to promote your music don't you?

You were there to speak for a purpose, you were there for a reason, And the guy interviewing you was being paid to ask you questions.

In most cases, I hate small talk. But I have found that in very rare cases, I can actually enjoy it if the other person shares my values and has a good sense of humor.
I find it very rare that a person tells me enough about his values in a 40 second elevator ride that I can judge if we're on the same page.

I try to discourage small talkers with hissing and a show of teeth.

You do understand the difference of some guy you don't know trying to start a meaningless conversation and consenting to give an interview to promote your music don't you?

You were there to speak for a purpose, you were there for a reason, And the guy interviewing you was being paid to ask you questions.
That’s the beauty of being a bass player. We don’t need to talk. There are guitar players and singers for that, not to mention there were only 3 microphones for the band in the studio.

Why?

And isn't saying " Good morning" enough?

Or just a simple "Hi"?

Why do people need to say more than that?

It irritates me when perfect strangers ask me how I am. Or how I'm doing. They'd be uninterested and sorry they asked if folks actually answered them in anything but "Fine, and how are you?"

Racist

Small talk is meaningless for the most part. I've never had it occur in an elevator. Elevatees are usually silent for the ride.

I just ask "Hey, do you want to see this rash on my dick?!?" and the attempt at conversation ends immediately (most of the time).

I find it very rare that a person tells me enough about his values in a 40 second elevator ride that I can judge if we're on the same page.
I wear ball cops often. Most of them have a pro-gun emblem (NRA, GOA) or an anti-Biden (FU45 or Let's Go Brandon) or a pro-America (Rebel Flag, Betsy Ross Flag), etc. etc. Most people ignore them, but when someone says, “I like your hat” then I know I'm speaking with someone who has at least that in common with me. If the conversation continues, I can gauge how many other things we may or may not have in common.

Forum List

Back