Internet was off last night.....

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
ALL night. I was going bonkers. Shows just how addicted I am to coming to see you guys..and playing with my pinterest...and cheating at ps2 games to get thru levels cuz I couldn't see what to do next on youtube vids due to NO INTERNET!

AND...I couldn't pass out any pos reps...so come say hi to the gal that missed ya..even if it's a smiley...so I can hand some rep out. :smiliehug:

If you got an antenna for a wireless N modem, you might be able to pick up free internet.
Unsecure internet is not safe though because what you do can potentially be read.

We called and bitched out the cable company big time. Boy, were we PISSED. we have the bundle package...so no internet, no tv, no phone. We all went to bed around 11ish. I played a few games on the ps2...then played some spider solitaire on the pc and pretended I was online. This morning...I was PISSED even more. It was still out. Everything. So....hubby got back from the swap meet, decided to check the outside line that comes in the wall and it was unscrewed. Idiot SIL unplugged it to wash the wall where the roomies nasty head rubbed all over it due to not have a headboard...and FORGOT to rescrew it back in. AYYYYYYYY!!!

So anyway....it's all good now. But not before I bitched SIL out for "forgetting", which is her catch phrase when she does something dumb..which is often.

So how do you power up your wifi to get connected and share someone's internet? There is a provider of high powered wifi antennas:

WiFi Antenna | Yagi Antenna | Wireless Antenna | L-com.com

You can get a 24 db gain WiFi dish antenna and they come with an RG8 cable with rp-sma termination which work with half watt USB adapters. They cause a lot of RF so I'm not sure how much they would heat up something with water but they should probably be mounted high up on a wall or a roof if you want to share someone's wifi signal. This will also increase your chance of having your computer hacked unless you are in a rural location.

Then you can get a second antenna and aim them in different directions but you have to spend some time aiming the antennas.

Someone is going to ask what db gain is and I believe that 24 dB is the maximum allowed in the United States by the Federal Communications Commission:

dMystifying the dB
dMystifying the dB (decibel)

But if you are near a store that offers free wifi, the internet is always on. These antennas will pick up the internet from a ways. I'm not sure exactly how far.

There are less complicated antennas at Newegg or other places. I can actually pick up the Wifi signal from my neighbor's house using a modem with wireless N and there is actually a new standard out that surpasses this.

This is actually faster than Wireless N:

What is 802.11ac WiFi, and how much faster than 802.11n is it? | ExtremeTech

I can run an app on my phone to let my Kindle tablet use the internet. I have unlimited minutes but my carrier will just slow me down if I go over a certain amount. We don't ever use the minutes because our phones are on Wifi a lot.

ALL night. I was going bonkers. Shows just how addicted I am to coming to see you guys..and playing with my pinterest...and cheating at ps2 games to get thru levels cuz I couldn't see what to do next on youtube vids due to NO INTERNET!

AND...I couldn't pass out any pos reps...so come say hi to the gal that missed ya..even if it's a smiley...so I can hand some rep out. :smiliehug:

Around noon yesterday, I was afraid that was going to happen to me too. I lost my internet, because I have a router. We had a power failure at my condo. I talked on the phone a lot, and the two hours I did not have power went pretty fast.

I also kept my mouth busy in between talking with almost a whole can of cashews I ate. :happy-1:

If I had gone the whole night without power, I would have had to have raided the refrigerator, and I got lots of sweets in there. :eek:

Do you have Comcast or Time Warner?

Do you have Comcast or Time Warner?

Charter.

Yeah. I shoulda done that but was too pissed to think straight. DAYUM that woman. How could she NOT remember to screw it all back in and complain along with the rest of the household there was no access to anything? I swear, she would lose her head if it wasn't connected to her shoulders.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IIU2GCFbJc]I Just Wanna Hang Out No Big Deal! (Cable Guy) - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back