Internet Speed Record

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Did you know that the Large Hadron Collider at CERN has already produced 100 petabytes of data that needed to be sent out to labs across the world for analysis? Pushing that amount of information across the Internet is a gargantuan task, which is why Caltech teamed up with the Universities of Victoria, Michigan and Florida (International) amongst others to try and break the internet speed record. Using commercially available gear (including Dell servers with SSDs), it was able to push 98Gbps and pull 88Gbps down a single 100Gbps fibre-optic connection between the Washington State convention center in Seattle and the University of Victoria computing center in British Columbia.

Caltech sets 186Gbps Internet speed record, makes our 5Mbps look even more inadequate (video) -- Engadget

I am frankly sick and tired of hearing what our nation cannot do, and am going to try my best to post things here every so often on things we CAN do. and this is just an example of some of the things that are going on. A speed record of this magnitude is way beyond what the normal user could ever get a grasp on but in order to process the vast amounts of data from the Super Collider it's needed.

The reason why our internet isn't fast is because of infrastructure.

ISPs won't build on them because they would lose $$$. Why lose money when they can do nothing about it and force you into giving them $$$ at an inflated rate? You need internet and they are the only one who provides internet, so you are screwed.

Thats why I think the Government should find infrastructure expansion and give incentives for more than 2 carriers to compete in the same areas. Speeds would go up and prices would drop.

did you know that the large hadron collider at cern has already produced 100 petabytes of data that needed to be sent out to labs across the world for analysis? Pushing that amount of information across the internet is a gargantuan task, which is why caltech teamed up with the universities of victoria, michigan and florida (international) amongst others to try and break the internet speed record. using commercially available gear (including dell servers with ssds), it was able to push 98gbps and pull 88gbps down a single 100gbps fibre-optic connection between the washington state convention center in seattle and the university of victoria computing center in british columbia.

caltech sets 186gbps internet speed record, makes our 5mbps look even more inadequate (video) -- engadget

i am frankly sick and tired of hearing what our nation cannot do, and am going to try my best to post things here every so often on things we can do. And this is just an example of some of the things that are going on. A speed record of this magnitude is way beyond what the normal user could ever get a grasp on but in order to process the vast amounts of data from the super collider it's needed.

wow!

Forum List

Back